Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What can the E-assist option bring for bicycle touring.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What can the E-assist option bring for bicycle touring.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-16, 06:36 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Exactly, Good point,

EDIT; Sometimes people are just a little bit tooo literal... Just because a low powered E-Bike is ALLOWED on bicycle trails does NOT mean they are Bicycles...
I'm pretty neutral on this topic. Sure, e-bikes are bicycles, they are e-bicycles. The "e" tells me it is a bike with an electric motor.

Reply to OP:
I believe e-bikes add another dimension for touring/traveling on 2 or three wheels. If touring on an e-bike suits a person's temperament, and meets their needs, it is a good alternative.
Old 07-12-16, 07:08 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I'm pretty neutral on this topic. Sure, e-bikes are bicycles, they are e-bicycles. The "e" tells me it is a bike with an electric motor.

Reply to OP:
I believe e-bikes add another dimension for touring/traveling on 2 or three wheels. If touring on an e-bike suits a person's temperament, and meets their needs, it is a good alternative.
Ha, Ha, Not in this touring forum anyways...
Old 07-12-16, 08:21 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
As well as for the physically impaired, E bikes offer mobility to some in the lower economic stratum. In my area E bikes (and mopeds) are often used by retired people and those on disability because they can get around town, shop, and make appointments with a sense of independence that a motorcycle or car driver feels (though to a lesser degree due to limited range) but without the additional cost. Many people give up their drivers license (In BC maintaining a license when you are older can be quite a hassle) but get around on E bikes. No gas, no insurance cost, limited repair and maintenance, no parking fees etc... Developing a viable touring E bike would allow some of them to also vacation inexpensively as well.

While I don't for see an E bike in my near future I am always interested in developing ideas. The wing solar panel array pictured above does present a wind issue that would be a barrier both in design and bulk (mainly the result of backyard design using available off the shelf products) but I could see a light frame with an extensive aerodynamic fairing coated in flexible solar panels designed to capture some sun from any angle. Every surface area could be used with corresponding panels designed to capture power from direct or indirect sunlight. Married to a light, high capacity storage battery driving a very refined gearing system might create a long range touring E bike that is almost self sufficient as far as external power input is concerned. Consider the power input vs Lumen output between incandescent and LED lighting as an example.

Flexible solar panels: https://www.bruceschwab.com/solar-pow...ian-flex-high/

Simple fairing along that idea: https://renewableenergyspace.blogspot...recumbent.html

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-12-16 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 09:45 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Perhaps they would, if ridden long enough so that the energy/carbon they saved would eventually offset the energy/carbon resulting from manufacturing the ebike in the first place.

The big problem with this theory is that the main reason more adults don't ride bikes is not because of the physical exertion required, or the occasional necessary shower, rather they are afraid some cager will kill them. Go around one day and survey reasonably healthy adults (assuming you are USA), the overwhelming response is close to "somebody'd run me over".
Probably so in general but locally there's a lot of bike paths/lanes/sidewalks; one can travel quite a ways w/o venturing onto a street. OTOH non-bikers aren't esp aware of that. Ironically it's hard to find (even for researchers) energy costs of making bikes/e-bikes.

But working off one link (https://momentummag.com/how-green-is...manufacturing/) I roughly calculated lifetime energy cost of e-bike equivalent to 2 gallons of gasoline. Even if I'm off by factor of 100 an 3-bike would pay off energy-wise in 33 weeks. Researcher from link above claims e-bikes, over lifetime, only consume about 1/4 more than reg bike.

A student analyzed this & concluded e-bikes could be quite a bit (half or less) energy consumers than reg bikes if one factors in the considerable energy costs in producing conventional diet.

https://www.ebikes.ca/documents/Ebike_Energy.pdf
Old 07-12-16, 10:08 PM
DropBarFan

How about if e-bikers allowed to post on the Touring forum but required to acknowledge using e-bike, perhaps also post a medical certificate explaining the need etc. ;^) Seriously, e-bikers & tourists face mostly the same issues. Personally I wonder about hand-carrying a loaded e-bike up steps etc. Even unloaded 25-kg e-bike no picnic to lift/carry.
Old 07-13-16, 02:45 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
How about if e-bikers allowed to post on the Touring forum but required to acknowledge using e-bike, perhaps also post a medical certificate explaining the need etc. ;^) Seriously, e-bikers & tourists face mostly the same issues. Personally I wonder about hand-carrying a loaded e-bike up steps etc. Even unloaded 25-kg e-bike no picnic to lift/carry.
Let them post away on 'Touring' with their stories and tell what they want or not, just like everyone else here.
Old 07-13-16, 06:33 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
Let them post away on 'Touring' with their stories and tell what they want or not, just like everyone else here.
Absolutely. I'd love to hear stories about running out of power in the middle of nowhere, and calling AAA.
Old 07-13-16, 07:34 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
How about if e-bikers allowed to post on the Touring forum but required to acknowledge using e-bike, perhaps also post a medical certificate explaining the need etc. ;^)

I realize that you are kidding; but that would be a higher bar than a person would be required to enter a physical location.

If the person does not have this documentation, but states verbally that the OPDMD is being used because of a mobility disability, that also must be accepted as credible assurance, unless the person is observed doing something that contradicts the assurance. For example, if a person is observed running and jumping, that may be evidence that contradicts the person's assertion of a mobility disability. However, it is very important for covered entities and their staff to understand that the fact that a person with a disability is able to walk for a short distance does not necessarily contradict a verbal assurance -- many people with mobility disabilities can walk, but need their mobility device for longer distances or uneven terrain. This is particularly true for people who lack stamina, have poor balance, or use mobility devices because of respiratory, cardiac, or neurological disabilities. A covered entity cannot ask people about their disabilities.
This is straight out of the Department of Justice Wheelchairs, Mobility Aids, and Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices document.

The key point of this document is that:
People with disabilities have the right to choose whatever mobility device best suits their needs.

(This should be taken lightheartedly, the reality is that I was trying to find this document for another purpose. It just seemed applicable; so I threw it in.)

Last edited by Robert C; 07-13-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-13-16, 03:50 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Absolutely. I'd love to hear stories about running out of power in the middle of nowhere, and calling AAA.
How about stories about ebikes spontaneously combusting:

Old 07-13-16, 06:42 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

I think I should start to go on touring threads where people are asking what gear set? what weight for the bike? what will allow me to do a tour without problems... And, Just keep on repeating how much of a fail the person asking those questions is...? Get off your fat butt and get in shape is the cure/answer, to all your questions... You should be able to do the whole tour with a fixie, and anything else is a FAIL... and, if you cant, you are a failure as a human being... At least as far as touring is concerned, don't do it, don't even try it, even if you think you "succeed" you FAILED, if you didn't do it on a fixie!!! Only people who fail at everything else tour on bicycles, normal people use camper trucks, 5th wheels, motorhomes, Hell no they stay in motels/hotels, camping in tents/or a lean-to are for people who have social issues, or at least those that stealth camp do, anyways/for sure actuaqlly...

Last edited by 350htrr; 07-13-16 at 07:00 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 07-13-16, 07:22 PM
Happy Feet

Just ignore the trolls... if they lure you into a pissing match they just get the thread locked.

Reported.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-13-16 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 07:41 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Just ignore the trolls... if they lure you into a pissing match they just get the thread locked.

Reported.

Yes, good advice... But I have made a list of those trolls,... And I just "may" do some "trolling" in their threads...

Not proud if my decision but... What can one do...?
Old 07-13-16, 08:03 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by alan s
If you are a member of AAA in Oregon, you can call AAA for help with your conventional bike.
Old 07-13-16, 09:11 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by Doug64
If you are a member of AAA in Oregon, you can call AAA for help with your conventional bike.
Hey, I read they have that in Mid-Atlantic too. they don't repair but give a ride to bike shop or home etc. Basic memembership only gives 3 miles transport distance while Plus gives 100 miles.
Old 07-14-16, 08:33 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Excellent advice.

Originally Posted by 350htrr
... And I just "may" do some "trolling" in their threads...

Not proud if my decision but... What can one do...?
Not the recommended approach.
Old 07-14-16, 09:15 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
I haven't been following this thread past page 1 (TLDR).

But I thought I'd throw this out for you all - a blog from someone who actually toured across America on an ebike: https://aerotechdesigns.wordpress.com/

The rider was 57 year old Cathy Rogers, the owner of Aerotech Designs. Some of you may recognize the company as a manufacturer and seller of bicycle-oriented clothing. Ms. Rogers rode a Pedego Interceptor. It's an interesting, if long, read (I read it in segments while she was actually completing the ride) Certainly riding an ebike opened the opportunity for her to complete the Big Ride Across America.

Carry on.
Old 07-14-16, 10:09 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

^^Read bits and especially the one about the bike and her enthusiasm for it. Can understand her point of view even if I don't share it.
One thing struck me.....she keeps talking about being old at 57. You're not old (I'm 10 years older) Cathy and you rode an Ebike across America not a 'bicycle'.
Old 07-14-16, 04:10 PM
Doug64

Yeah, folks tend to talk themselves into being old. Ms. Rogers seem to be doing a good job of doing just that.

My wife rode 3700 miles across the U.S. in her mid-50s, and another 14000 touring miles and 11 countries since then. She has a whole different self concept about what is old.

Last edited by Doug64; 07-14-16 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 05:40 PM
Happy Feet

Strong people try to raise themselves up by reaching further than they usually do...
Weak people try to raise themselves up by pulling those people down.

Maybe she calls herself old so she can appeal to the target audience (people who consider themselves old) to inspire them to try something also. By the many positive articles written about her ride I would say she was successful. I wish more people who are 57 would do awesome things like that so I have nothing but high praise for her adventurous spirit and the way she communicated the value of it so well to so many.

Person rides across America and some people can only criticize. What kind of lame forum is this?
Old 07-14-16, 07:25 PM
350htrr

Strong people try to raise themselves up by reaching further than they usually do...
Weak people try to raise themselves up by pulling those people down.

Maybe she calls herself old so she can appeal to the target audience (people who consider themselves old) to inspire them to try something also. By the many positive articles written about her ride I would say she was successful. I wish more people who are 57 would do awesome things like that so I have nothing but high praise for her adventurous spirit and the way she communicated the value of it so well to so many.

Person rides across America and some people can only criticize. What kind of lame forum is this?
Why it's a closed minded forum, where it's OK, to post TOTAL BS, just to try and get the thread closed, when the topic drifts off to never land because of the trolls... Who need to be warned/banned by the moderators...

Last edited by 350htrr; 07-14-16 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 07:39 PM
Doug64

I' m not sure folks are criticizing her effort or accomishment. The the point I was trying to make is people tend to act the way they portray themselves to others.

I have a brother-in-law who does it all the time, and I'm pretty hard on him when he tries to play the "old card."

Last edited by Doug64; 07-14-16 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 11:03 PM
Happy Feet

Doug, my comments were not directed at you. I think you and your wife are awesome.

I think there are two ways of looking at the age thing. You can use being old as an excuse not to do something (I see that all the time in my department at work) or you can say I am doing something, even though I am old. That can be a good example for others of a similar age who are feeling their active lives are past them. This is what I see the lady in the link doing.

You or I may say "hey I'm not old yet" but many people feel that 50+ is the time to settle and relax, often into an early grave it seems. I sometimes bite my tongue around the lunch table because my peers at work (50-60YO's who all say they feel old btw) don't really do anything too active at all on their weekends. Saying "I went paintballing, rode 100km and did a couple of dives" begins to sound like bragging when they say "put my feet up, got a pedicure, went to a movie..."

My primary example for living to the fullest was a negative in that it was my father who led a very sedate lifestyle outside of work and always talked about what we would do when he retired. He became ill in his late 50's and died before he retired. I was 30 when that happened and since then have always considered my lifespan to be a finite number since then and so I don't waste any time putting off plans for the future. Someone like this lady can act as a positive example in that she is of a certain age and doing something many people would consider adventurous. We should celebrate inspiration like that, not minimize it.

As I said above, I consider my time limited and while I enjoy talking about my passions I sure don't want to be a part of any community (online or otherwise) that tears people down. As a member of a supposed touring community it's embarrassing.
Old 07-15-16, 01:38 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Haven't seen anyone 'trying to tear Cathy Rogers down'. I think HF is over reacting to some very mild criticism of her blogging style.
For the record I think what she did was commendable.
Old 07-15-16, 08:31 AM
Happy Feet

deleted

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-15-16 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 03:48 PM
Doug64

I saw a quote this morning when we stopped for pie and coffee that could be interpolated to apply generically to "touring."

"Life is about using the whole box of crayons."
Rupaul

The touring box is large, and we all have our favorite color.

Last edited by Doug64; 07-15-16 at 03:52 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.