Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Maybe the end for this 2009 Trek 520

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Maybe the end for this 2009 Trek 520

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19, 07:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10960 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Funny that people are so shocked about this... The myth that steel frames will last forever is being tested now that a significant number of cyclists have gone back to steel. BITD of all bikes being steel, frame failures were not uncommon.
If there is a myth that steel frames will last forever, it is just that- a myth.
There are more steel frames from the 90s and earlier still being ridden because that was the material almost exclusively used from before the 90s. Observing that there are a lot of vintage steel frames being ridden still compared to vintage carbon is pointless.

With that said- steel has also proven to be an incredibly long lasting material for frames. I would not think twice if I saw data showing the % of steel road frame/fork failures is lower than the % of carbon road frame/fork failures.
Old 10-29-19, 07:51 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
It is standard operating procedure (SOP) to supply a replacement frame when a frame breaks. It is also very much SOP to offer a replacement with the modern equivalent of whatever frame broke, even if it is not compatible with all the parts - forks and bottom bracket and brakes and whatever else. It is up to the customer to work out the details. Without any details given, I am hopeful that OP got a rim-brake compatible trek 520 frame and fork, so things should all bot together without too much hassle.

It is also totally SOP for the customer to be responsible for labour costs to get the thing built up. Most shops cover labour on bikes they sold for some period - usually one or two years. If the frame had broken in that time span then most shops would get you back out on the road for no charge, no questions asked. Nine years is beyond any reasonable expectation of free labour.

To the OP: Since you rode this bike enough that the frame broke, I assume it has been a good bike. You should get the new frame built up and keep riding it as-is, or until the replacement frame breaks.
Old 10-29-19, 08:54 PM
badgnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
+1..yah, I'd say so. Would seem to fulfill a lifetime warranty.."it breaks, you get a new one..". Not covering the cost of swapping parts is also in line...as warranties go.

A bike shop can swap the parts for 2 hrs work..locally (here) they charge $100-$150 to build up a bike. Rather modest compared to selling it(for not a lot)..finding another bike & paying for it.
My bike shop quoted me $220 to switch it over which does not include incidentals like possibly having to get new cables. I couldn't fathom putting on such old parts onto a new frame so opted to have frame stripped for a nominal amount and the components returned to me.

I could have waited until December and gotten the disc version of the frame with a small surcharge, but was wary of it being available even then so went ahead and opted for the rim brake version.
Old 10-29-19, 09:03 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Heck, the parts aren't that old, only 10 years.
Maybe a new bb , granny chainring looks worn a bit, but this is all normal wear and stuff that needs to be replaced sometime.
Doing it on your own is doable and fun-----if you are interested.
You could buy the tools needed with the 200+ and then have them for future. And you'd have a great bike afterwards.

But I guess it's only if you're into doing your own mechanical stuff.
Old 10-30-19, 05:52 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by badgnome
My bike shop quoted me $220 to switch it...
Once again, I'd agree with djb..those parts aren't that old. Several of the newest bikes I have are nearly twice that old and the original parts are working fine. Some parts are consumables and old frame or new, they'll still need updating.

Looks like Austin has a ton of bike shops..I'd ask around for build pricing. In warranty deals, it's a rare event where everyone is made whole. Trek is out a new frame (as they should be), you're out some money, and your (original purchase) bike shop is out..?..doesn't sound like much of anything as their pricing seems high. They should be giving you a break on labor cost...if they place any value on your regular or future business.

Check other bike shops or do the wrenching yourself. In the end it may come down to deciding between $200 to get back up and running or considerably more money and hassle (sell off frame and parts) to start fresh. Not great choices..but that's life...everyone has been there, or will be. Of course..if you want a new bike..then party on..
Old 10-30-19, 08:24 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Is there a bicycle co-op near you? They usually have all the tools needed and someone to show you how to do things if you don't know. They're a fantastic way to learn how to do your own bicycle maintenance or repairs.

If you buy the tools and do it yourself then you'll have the experience to do most repairs you need and you'd not be tied to a bicycle shop's hours or have to wait for them to do it.

Cheers
Old 11-01-19, 04:57 PM
badgnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am content the with offer Trek made me and never really expected more than that. Yes, I could rebuild but have a hankering for a new bike with new technology so ordered a Kona Sutra which I would prefer over even an all new Trek 520.