Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helmet visor for bugs?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Helmet visor for bugs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 11:56 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Helmet visor for bugs?

There's a gravel trail that I like to ride a on a lot that sometimes has 100s ++++ small little bugs. I had to ride with one hand shielding my eyes while I rode.

I was looking for recommendations for helmet/visor combo that does not fog up that would be good for this. I am long long long way from hitting 25mph so not concerned with aero and saving watts.

I saw some of these on amazon.

Lixada Bike Helmet with Detachable Magnetic Goggles Visor and LED Back Light Mountain & Road Bicycle Helmets Adjustable Size UV Protective Adult Cycling Helmets

Giro Vanquish MIPS Bike Helmet

Oakley ARO7 MIPS Men's MTB Cycling Helmet

SLS3 Triathlon Helmet | Aero Helmets | Aero Bike Helmet with Removable Shield Visor

Tommaso Sole - Lightweight Cycling Helmet Retractable Eye Shield Road & MTB

Basecamp Bike Helmet, Bicycle Helmet CPSC Certified Cycling/Climbing Helmet BC-069 with Detachable Magnetic Goggles Visor&LED Back Light

Exclusky Aero Bike Helmet with Removable Shield Visor Time Trial for Men Women
Old 04-19-20, 11:59 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
There's a gravel trail that I like to ride a on a lot that sometimes has 100s ++++ small little bugs. I had to ride with one hand shielding my eyes while I rode.

I was looking for recommendations for helmet/visor combo that does not fog up that would be good for this. I am long long long way from hitting 25mph so not concerned with aero and saving watts.

I saw some of these on amazon.

Lixada Bike Helmet with Detachable Magnetic Goggles Visor and LED Back Light Mountain & Road Bicycle Helmets Adjustable Size UV Protective Adult Cycling Helmets

Giro Vanquish MIPS Bike Helmet

Oakley ARO7 MIPS Men's MTB Cycling Helmet

SLS3 Triathlon Helmet | Aero Helmets | Aero Bike Helmet with Removable Shield Visor

Tommaso Sole - Lightweight Cycling Helmet Retractable Eye Shield Road & MTB

Basecamp Bike Helmet, Bicycle Helmet CPSC Certified Cycling/Climbing Helmet BC-069 with Detachable Magnetic Goggles Visor&LED Back Light

Exclusky Aero Bike Helmet with Removable Shield Visor Time Trial for Men Women
I have dealt with those things before, nasty little *****...

I would just carry some swim goggles to throw-on for a second, then just put your regular shades back on.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 04-19-20, 12:06 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by Ross520
I have dealt with those things before, nasty little *****...

I would just carry some swim goggles to throw-on for a second, then just put your regular shades back on.
My over sized prescription oakley sunglasses mostly worked ( I bought them for when I used to ride a motorcycle ) did not work good enough enough for that trail.

I like the idea of swim goggles. thanks.

maybe those little bugs we could under the visor anyways? they got past my sunglasses :/

Mine are similar to this.

Old 04-19-20, 12:34 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
My worry about those tiny insects is the possibility of inhaling one.

What about making a sort of bag out of black mosquito netting and just pulling it over your existing helmet?
Old 04-19-20, 03:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've considered snowsport goggles for seasons with clouds of bugs. They should be relatively resistant to fogging up. Check user reviews to be sure there's enough clearance for a helmet.

I have one of those Basecamp aero helmets with the magnetic mount visor. Works great. I mostly got it for days when my sinuses are so congested it's painful to wear sunglasses or safety glasses on the bridge of my nose. And if I'm still riding after dark I can flip the tinted visor up -- the magnet mount holds securely and the visor hasn't been blown or jolted off the helmet.

However I usually prefer to ride with a mirror mounted on my glasses or helmet (limited neck mobility from injuries), so I usually wear my regular vented road helmets. No way to combine a mirror with the Basecamp aero helmet and visor, although I also have a bar-end mirror on the left side of my drop bars on two road bikes.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-19-20, 04:49 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Mosquito netting like fishermen use will do the trick. Kind of a PIA to deal with gnats and flies.
Old 04-19-20, 04:54 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
My worry about those tiny insects is the possibility of inhaling one.

What about making a sort of bag out of black mosquito netting and just pulling it over your existing helmet?
It's funny when that happens, always seems like that stupid bug is stuck in there somewhere for way longer than is feasible. When I worked in the desert I'd average 2 or 3 flies a day....

A mesh visor would make more sense, like one of those chainsaw ones. At least you could count the bugs caught on it.
Old 04-19-20, 05:12 PM
Tony P.

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
I use sunglasses generally but at times opt for safety glasses with foam rubber around the frame. If you want better optics, though, focus on motocross goggles.
Old 04-19-20, 05:22 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Ski goggles. Or these bad boys:

"Luke, I am your father!"

Last edited by tyrion; 04-19-20 at 05:25 PM.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-19-20, 05:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
So - question - if these bugs are wearing visors, don't we risk chips on our expensive sunglasses when we hit them? (I've hit some heavy bugs hard.)

BEn
Old 04-19-20, 05:50 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
If the trail or road is so thick with bugs that wraparound sunglasses won't protect your eyes, I think I would just go home. I have occasionally ridden through a cloud of knats or little bugs. It is horrible, but fortunately, not something that was continuous.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-19-20, 06:22 PM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I use these on our local river trail with swarms of tiny bugs as you describe. They are Carhartts.
Likes For ups:
Old 04-19-20, 06:32 PM
sean.hwy

sorry for the ugly photos.

so you know when you are riding a bike you have to lean forward say at 45 angle. Your glasses tend to slide down a little. Now there's a gap for all the little bugs :/ This photo is exaggerated a little for effect.

Last edited by sean.hwy; 05-19-20 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-19-20, 06:33 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by ups
I use these on our local river trail with swarms of tiny bugs as you describe. They are Carhartts.
That looks like that ticket. How are they fogging etc? do you only wear them for bugs or they nice eye protection for the rest of your ride?
Old 04-19-20, 06:36 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by tyrion

that's pretty cool. that's probably what I need so I don't end getting the bugs in my mouth and nose.
Old 04-19-20, 09:35 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
If the trail or road is so thick with bugs that wraparound sunglasses won't protect your eyes, I think I would just go home. I have occasionally ridden through a cloud of knats or little bugs. It is horrible, but fortunately, not something that was continuous.
Yeah, it's the gnats that swarm in clouds. So far I've been lucky on my rides and see them in time; I just take a deep breath and squint a little and power through ... not had to take my own advice yet, lol!

As to eye protection, I wear prescription glasses and on the rides I've got the big over-the-glasses sunglasses-- I look like a tourist in Florida or something, but it keeps the bugs out of my eyes.
Old 04-19-20, 09:42 PM
rpa90

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion

haha should do the trick
Old 04-19-20, 11:53 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
A couple of years ago I did a spring ride with massive amounts of pollen getting past the regular bike glasses so I switched to Oakley Flight Jacket. Pretty wide coverage incl the raised rimless top part of the lens. & nowadays there seems to be a trend for bigger bike glasses. So it might be simpler than a helmet/visor combo or goggles.

Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 04-20-20, 12:55 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Been wearing this at work a lot. Different variety of bug, however. So far it has worked.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Carry on.
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 04-20-20, 02:01 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Been wearing this at work a lot. Different variety of bug, however. So far it has worked.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Carry on.

If I thought it would stay on my head when I am at 45 leaning forward I would be happy to ride with that through the swarm of bugs. ha-ha
Old 04-20-20, 05:23 PM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
That looks like that ticket. How are they fogging etc? do you only wear them for bugs or they nice eye protection for the rest of your ride?
I got them for general riding. They work well and don't fog. You can get them in a few different lens colors as well.
Old 04-20-20, 10:11 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
If I thought it would stay on my head when I am at 45 leaning forward I would be happy to ride with that through the swarm of bugs. ha-ha
There's a knob in the back which draws the mounting system TIGHT. Believe me, it's secure, and believe me, if you never find yourself wearing something like this, be happy.
Old 04-20-20, 10:41 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Try a hiking bug net I've used one, it stopped them from getting in my mouth and nose

https://www.rei.com/product/780999/s...ummit-head-net
Old 04-21-20, 06:28 PM
sean.hwy

swim googles was a fail for me today. They fogged up right away.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3333077848
Old 04-22-20, 03:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I have a basecamp. if you like their style I'd suggest buying a spare sheild either clear or tinted. it's handy to have both. their customer service actually responds when messaging them

there's a gap at the top where the magnets are for venting. it works well, but I have fogged them in extreme winter conditions. & the vent space allows rain water to drip onto the inside of the shield. so it's an OK rain helmet but then I'll add a helmet cover with front brim. another thing, in the warmer summer months I need more ventilation on my face so I switch to just glasses & my summer helmet w/ more vents

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-22-20 at 04:07 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.