Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disks not ready

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disks not ready

Old 02-19-21, 01:38 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 672 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
the real issue will always be discs are just bad on road bikes , its a fact , road bikes operate at more specific points than other bikes , discs on off road bikes usually work because you want more locking power and rims just get weakened by dirt and sand , road bikes have higher frequency and when riding at higher speeds need an equal and even braking pressure discs can cause deflections in the wheel and throw a rider off, which is why we see so many more crashes in the TDF and world tour on descents , normal turns go from stable to wobbly nightmares because discs without abs are dangerous , you wouldn't want them on a motorbike or car , but people think a locking brake is somehow safe , NOPE , you will end up like Rem turd co flying over a stone wall to your doom , rims are also cheaper and allow a lower entry cost , so more people can ride , and as the industry trends towards discs we will see it hard for the poorer people ro afford the bikes , discs are harder to work on and require way too much effort for the average person whoo just isnt interested in tweaking their breaks all day long , it will be sad in 5 years when a rim brake wheel set no longer exists because everyone wants to buy the new shiney turd , so now we are all forced to ride these crappy components that cost twice as much , and present an even bigger problem , because a bunch of dentists wants to show off on the group ride
Clearly, the bike industry is an integral part of The New World Order economic reset. Reducing mobility is a key element of any authoritarian model.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-19-21, 03:17 AM
alpanian

Bikes: Rose X-LITE TEAM 4000 '17, Koga Miyata Proracer '81, BMC SLX01 '08, Focus Arriba 3.0 '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this subject, and I reckon there are good reasons for disk or rim depending on who you are, where you ride, how you ride etc... And it's clear there's enough people in both the rim and disk camps to make it a viable market to produce bikes and wheelsets for both application. The issue is, that the manufacturers are not listenning and are forcing their decision on us. Clearly, producing only disk brake bikes in the mid/high end is also a money maker for the industry as a whole. More expensive bikes, more expensive components, more expensive wheels, and greater reliance on the LBS for servicing = obvious decision by the bike industry as a whole.

I just hope that in 5 years time I can still buy a high end wheelset with rim braking and sqewer attachments (thru-axle being the next imposed standard...)

my 2 cents.
Old 03-19-21, 03:48 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Funny how many “ experts “ opine on things they have no clue about. Tubular tires and disc brakes come to mind.
Old 03-19-21, 10:49 AM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Personally, I think disc's are absolutely "ready" and, IMO, essential. Ive always thought rim brakes were an inherently flawed design: anything that requires the wearing away of a structural component of your bike to perform and essential function is flawed.

I've been running mechanical discs on my gravel bike for years and just got a disc-equipped Specialized Tarmac SL6 which has 105 discs on it, which are amazing. I will never go back to rim brakes, on any bike.

Of course, on mountain bikes, discs have been the norm for a long time and you'd be insane to still be running rim brakes.

However, I would say the Pro riders are the last people to need them as they have a steady supply of free wheels.
Likes For Doomrider74:
Old 03-19-21, 04:05 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Well, he's paid to ride for a team, and Factor sponsors that team. Factor happens to put disc brakes on his bike. He's not getting paid specifically to use disc brakes, same as he's not getting paid specifically to use CX-Ray spokes.
But irking a sponsor is usually not done because of financial reasons. Him saying negative things about disc brakes while Factor provides the equipment puts Factor in an awkward position. Irk a sponsor enough and the relationship gets damaged. Damaging the relationship can mean an end to the sponsorship, which becomes a financial issue.

My point is sponsorships do not necessarily mean the riders are choosing the best equipment. The buying public often falls into the “so and so uses this equipment and he’s a professional- it must be great stuff!” There are many reasons sponsorships are done, unfortunately providing the best equipment isn’t necessarily one of them. Sometimes it’s which riders provide the best marketing opportunities for the companies.
Old 03-19-21, 04:16 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by F22c_legs
However, the squeal is quite annoying and the vibration can be felt thru the handlebar.
If it's squealing in dry weather, your pads are contaminated. If you can feel vibrations coming through the bars, something is wrong there, too... warped rotors, loose headset, loose TA, etc.
Old 03-19-21, 04:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
But irking a sponsor is usually not done because of financial reasons. Him saying negative things about disc brakes while Factor provides the equipment puts Factor in an awkward position. Irk a sponsor enough and the relationship gets damaged. Damaging the relationship can mean an end to the sponsorship, which becomes a financial issue.
"I'm not 100% sold on [disc brakes] yet."

If you think that is going to jeopardize a sponsorship deal, you're dreaming. I doubt the people at Factor gave his disc brake comment more than a shrug.

(Thank goodness he didn't say something really pejorative, like "I'm not 100% sold on wider tires yet.")
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-19-21, 04:34 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
(Thank goodness he didn't say something really pejorative, like "I'm not 100% sold on wider tires yet.")
You take that back!
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-19-21, 05:28 PM
Doomrider74

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by F22c_legs
I share the same sentiment. However, the squeal is quite annoying and the vibration can be felt thru the handlebar.
Sounds like you have some issues there. Thats not normal.
Old 03-19-21, 05:58 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by alpanian
And it's clear there's enough people in both the rim and disk camps to make it a viable market to produce bikes and wheelsets for both application. The issue is, that the manufacturers are not listenning and are forcing their decision on us. Clearly, producing only disk brake bikes in the mid/high end is also a money maker for the industry as a whole.
Abusing the word "clear" does not strengthen what is essentially a tin-foil hat conspiracy theory. Actual sales of bikes have heavily tilted toward disc because people who aren't riding grand tours care more about stuff like being able to ride wider tires on rims that won't wear out and stop in all conditions, rather than how many seconds faster a spare wheel change takes, that Factor has stated there is almost no financial reason to produce the rim brake versions of their bikes.

High-end rim brake wheelsets ought to be around as long as their brake tracks wear out and need replacing. Why would the bike manufacturers sitting in their smoke-filled dark rooms thinking about how to get more money from buyers want to abandon the money from that to settle for the far cheaper disc rotor sales? Clearly, theyve concocted an Apple-level conspiracy to make rim brakes worse after seeing how successful slowing down old iPhones was.

Or maybe it's because people decided that they liked disc brakes more and are spending their money on that tech.
Likes For surak:
Old 03-19-21, 06:06 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by surak
Or maybe it's because people decided that they liked disc brakes more and are spending their money on that tech.
Crazy talk.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-19-21, 09:58 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Personally, I think disc's are absolutely "ready" and, IMO, essential. Ive always thought rim brakes were an inherently flawed design: anything that requires the wearing away of a structural component of your bike to perform and essential function is flawed.
How about in the very old days when the rubber brake pad pressed down on the tire center, rubber on rubber eating your structural component... perhaps it is still found on some family grade bikes today.

I go for rim brakes because because it is dead simple to maintain as years, even decades go by. Last thing I want is a fluid in my lines. Yes, disks brake better but can squeal, they are less sightly than rim ones, especially those that have the disk shaped as a number of arches with numerous holes to make them lighter, making it look like the old fashioned window lace curtains in Europe of old
Disks also contribute to bikes looking somewhat stubby, less elegant. Mind you, I also don't like the esthetics of those deep rim wheels, those 32 mm deep (I think) are just about right. But if I saw a deal on a bike that couldn't be refused, I'd settle for those two evils, disks and deep wheels.
Old 03-20-21, 07:11 AM
WhyFi

Yup, nothing says "elegant" like rim brake caliper warts hanging off of the fork and seat stays.
Likes For WhyFi: