Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing chainring bolts - cut to the chase and drill them out?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-05-21, 05:11 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts

Hi all, I need to replace my chainring and don't have the tool for holding the slotted nut stationary. Many report that the tool is marginal and the bolts get trashed in the process anyhow. Screwdrivers, "dimes in visegrips", and other hacks have never worked for me. Anyone have a trick I should try before I reach for the drill?
Old 06-05-21, 05:19 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I suppose it may be a dumb thing to ask, but do you have replacement bolts? Because if you have, then drill, if not, don't. Also, drill only if you believe you know what you are doing. I think the bolts material, at least on my older bike, is soft, the slotted kind on the inside side.

On newer bike, when I had them removed a while ago, they felt fairly light, almost like made from aluminum. But those were of newer kind, with hex wrench on both sides.
Old 06-05-21, 05:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
The first thing is to try the Allen Wrench without the tool.

If the chainring is tight, then you may well be able to break the bolts loose without the special tool.

I usually get slippage if the bolts or spacers are sized wrong, and don't tighten properly.
Old 06-05-21, 06:06 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I've used the tips of a small pair of needle nose pliers as a spanner to hold the nut's slots and keep it from turning while removing a chainring bolt.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-05-21, 06:19 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I took a copper pipe and cut one end of it in half longitudinally. I then flattened it out and ground and bent the shape needed for the keeper. It worked but it really only held the slotted nut in place for removal and placement.

Latter it was worth the wait to get a Park Tool CNW-2. But then again, it really only held the slotted nut in place for removal and placement.
Old 06-05-21, 06:20 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
...you can make a tool out of a sacrificial screwdriver, grinding/filing the tip to match the end of the purpose built tool. But I've never had much trouble using the tool, as sold, the proper sized hex key on the other side, and a liberal amount of ATF/acetone mix. I usually end up doing this operation sitting down at the kitchen table, which has tiles on top, over which I place some newspaper. That way you can kind of push down on the chainring tool on the bottom, using the hex key on the top.
Old 06-05-21, 06:31 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 1,837 Times in 1,110 Posts
I am pretty lazy and use an impact driver on those chainring bolts. They come apart pretty easily that way. Smiles, MH
Old 06-05-21, 06:35 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

The drill is sounding pretty good...
Old 06-05-21, 07:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by thinktubes
The drill is sounding pretty good...
...just so you know before you start, if the drill bit gets locked in there and the bolt as a unit starts spinning, there's no way to hold it steady after you've drilled out the hexagonal socket in the top bolt portion. Which is an excellent reason not to do it that way.
Old 06-05-21, 08:09 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...you can make a tool out of a sacrificial screwdriver, grinding/filing the tip to match the end of the purpose built tool. But I've never had much trouble using the tool, as sold, the proper sized hex key on the other side, and a liberal amount of ATF/acetone mix. I usually end up doing this operation sitting down at the kitchen table, which has tiles on top, over which I place some newspaper. That way you can kind of push down on the chainring tool on the bottom, using the hex key on the top.
This works really well. The bigger the handle on the screwdriver the better.
Old 06-05-21, 08:47 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Many report that the tool is marginal and the bolts get trashed in the process anyhow.
I have both the Park and Shimano chainring nut tool and they both equally suck. For some reason, the 90 degree bend in the tool makes it hard get a good interface with the bit. The tendency is to hold the toll against the chainring when using, and the tool angle is no longer 90 degree to the nut. Once you start rounding the slot on the softer aluminum nuts, it gets hard to get good purchase on the slot.

The screwdriver type nut wrenches seem to be better. But you might have to remove the crank to use. I guess one advantage of the Park style tool is it’s easy to remove the chainring with cranks still in the bottom bracket.

I believe I replaced the aluminum bolt and nut with steel. I’ll take the weight penalty if it removes the frustration of that aluminum nut.
Old 06-05-21, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Never really had an issue using the correct chainring bolt tool and a quality hex wrench then I can just replace with some hex bolts instead. I will admit it might not be the best tool but it works. The only time I think I had trouble was recently when a Torx bolt got stripped on a Shimano crankset but we got it out without too much fuss.

The first port of call should never be out and out destruction if that is the case, take your bike to a professional and have them do it. Destruction and heavy power tools should be a last option for a bike.
Old 06-05-21, 09:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
...just so you know before you start, if the drill bit gets locked in there and the bolt as a unit starts spinning, there's no way to hold it steady after you've drilled out the hexagonal socket in the top bolt portion. Which is an excellent reason not to do it that way.
And after you've spun that nut a few times, it will have polished/enlarged the hole in the crankset and your replacement nut is unlikely to lock itself into place. (I love cranksets where the nut seats simply tightening the bolt. Need to get it out? Back off the bolt slightly and give it a gentle tap with a hammer.)
Old 06-05-21, 09:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
And after you've spun that nut a few times, it will have polished/enlarged the hole in the crankset and your replacement nut is unlikely to lock itself into place. (I love cranksets where the nut seats simply tightening the bolt. Need to get it out? Back off the bolt slightly and give it a gentle tap with a hammer.)
Might be a reason to avoid the impact wrench.
Old 06-05-21, 10:09 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Get a tool. I don’t care for the cheap Park version. But you can get a decent Shimano or 3rd party.

Chainring bolts will probably cost as much as the correct tool and if you mess up the crank, the cost could be as high as getting a VAR chainring bolt tool.

The slotted nuts can be a pain, but I have never cheapened out and tried a dime or some makeshift tool that was not well thought out; especially with a triple.

John
Old 06-06-21, 06:32 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

OK - I ordered the Simano tool and some new bolts. Appreciate all the help!
Old 06-06-21, 09:04 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
...you can make a tool out of a sacrificial screwdriver, grinding/filing the tip to match the end of the purpose built tool.
Performance used to sell a commercial version of this as a Spin Doctor" house brand tool. It was just a wide blade screwdriver with the edges of the blade cut back leaving a central locating pin. It was a lot stronger than the flat sheet-metal tools.
Old 06-06-21, 10:08 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
...the Park and Shimano chainring nut tool and they both equally suck.
Also my home-made copper tool, and my beat up wood chisel tool... In frustration I took a crank over to a now sorely missed, local machinist for ideas on how to proceed. His procedure was odd but remembered. He asked if my crank had been soaked with PB Blaster. Yes, several days... of course. He then took a can of Liquid Air for cleaning PC keyboards and turned it upside down and sprayed (trifloroethane) over all the bolts liberally till ice from garage air condensation was forming on the crank. After the crank warmed up he used my Park tool nut wrench to ease the bolts off the crank.

So what was it, the PB Blaster, the chill, the wrench, or the meticulous slow practiced method of a real Machinist?
Old 06-06-21, 03:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The first thing is to try the Allen Wrench without the tool.

If the chainring is tight, then you may well be able to break the bolts loose without the special tool.

I usually get slippage if the bolts or spacers are sized wrong, and don't tighten properly.
I just swapped the chain ring (44T to 40T) on my wife's Electra Loft 7D this morning, and I was able to loosen all chain ring bolts without a chain ring nut tool, even though a basic one is built into the end of my Pedro Chain checker.

Chain Checker Plus II » Pedro's NA (pedros.com)
Old 06-06-21, 03:52 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by zandoval
Also my home-made copper tool, and my beat up wood chisel tool... In frustration I took a crank over to a now sorely missed, local machinist for ideas on how to proceed. His procedure was odd but remembered. He asked if my crank had been soaked with PB Blaster. Yes, several days... of course. He then took a can of Liquid Air for cleaning PC keyboards and turned it upside down and sprayed (trifloroethane) over all the bolts liberally till ice from garage air condensation was forming on the crank. After the crank warmed up he used my Park tool nut wrench to ease the bolts off the crank.

So what was it, the PB Blaster, the chill, the wrench, or the meticulous slow practiced method of a real Machinist?
...thermal shock is often used on stuck threaded fittings. There's even a commercial product for this that combines a coolant and a penetrant, called Freeze Off. It's sold in auto parts places.
Old 06-06-21, 04:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
...thermal shock is often used on stuck threaded fittings. There's even a commercial product for this that combines a coolant and a penetrant, called Freeze Off. It's sold in auto parts places.
All for thermal shock. I had to use my butane cooking torch to uninstall the cheap pedals that were originally mounted on my hybrid bike.
Old 06-07-21, 12:37 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
My experience has been that the tool works 100% of the time. It's a cheap little piece of sheet metal, but aside from that I don't know what problem people have with it. You only need it to grip the chainring nut flats for an instant when you break the bolt loose. THen you can generally hold the nut still with one finger while you finish unscrewing.

THE SOLUTION to difficult chainring bolt removals is selective lubrication - first, wipe off any oils or greases or contamination from the outside of the nut (where the nut meets the chainring or cranks), then add a small amount of grease to the threads of the chainring bolts, but on no other surface. IF only the threads are lubricated, and the surface of the chainring nut that mates with the chainring is dry, the friction of the nut against the chainring will be much higher than the friction of the bolt threads against the nut threads and the nut will generally hold itself in place when you tighten or loosen the bolt.

Another option for when you get the bolts off is to find a set of chainring bolts with a nut that accepts a hex head instead of the split screwdriver tool. The strategy of differential lubrication is still effective, but it's much more likely you'll have an allen key handy than the chainring spanner when you are working on your bike.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 07-01-21, 05:13 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Just to circle back, I got the Shimano tool and it worked OK. I used a C-clamp to hold it in place. Still one of my least favorite wrench jobs.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 07-02-21, 03:15 PM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
The best chainring bolt tool: Cyclus 729996.
Old 07-02-21, 03:17 PM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
5 interchangeable tips for: Campy, Miche, Truvavtiv, Shimano, and Sugino.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.