Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Tadpole Trike kickstand from a out of the box thinking

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 08-13-21, 05:51 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I spent a lot of time messing around with my new TerraTrike GTS needing the rear tire in the air to check for chain and rear derailleur alignment due to a bad design.
Fumbling around with rags and automotive jack stands was just a pain in the butt. This became more of a problem when I mounted a custom pet carrier to the lowrider rack.
So wanting something lightweight I turned to the world of Guns and mounted a Sturdy but inexpensive Bi-pod that adjust from 9"-13" it works great and is stable. I mounted one just like it on the Wife's Terratrike Rogue and it also worked great. This is also perfect if you get have to do repairs on the side of the road. cleaning chains removing the rear tire etc. is all possible and easy to do.
I will say if you do this and you plan on leaving it on your trike use Loctite it only takes one bolt to wiggle loose and it is gone. I also used Loctite on the tension screw. I also sprayed it down with a liberal coating of PigSpit to prevent corrosion.
I have plans for a front boom mounted Bi pod yet I am on the hunt for a vented rifle hand guard with a large enough inside diameter and no sharp edges to chew up your legs. I need one with a 2inch ID.
if you see one please let me know. I had a large one mounted on my Boom with a clamp on adaptor yet that just looked bad yet worked. the problem with the front on y trike it requires a taller bipod the one I found was 13"-23 " or so yet it was too unstable
https://www.jsesurplus.com/luth-ar15...ndguard-1.aspx

Old 08-13-21, 06:30 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Kickstand on a trike?

I wondered what the heck you would need a kickstand on a trike since it is stable when sitting. The correct terminology most trike owners would understand is "trike repair stand", There are lots of designs out there and it has been discussed many times on Bentrideronline.
Old 08-13-21, 07:11 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I wondered what the heck you would need a kickstand on a trike since it is stable when sitting. The correct terminology most trike owners would understand is "trike repair stand", There are lots of designs out there and it has been discussed many times on Bentrideronline.
I used to be a member there yet I keep getting warnings about the site not being safe.
Old 08-16-21, 10:35 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by EaOutlaw1969
I used to be a member there yet I keep getting warnings about the site not being safe.
Yes, apparently the security certificate on the site expired and the owner has done nothing about it for several months. Make sure your password for that site is different from all of your other passwords, and don't transmit any documents that require security.
Old 08-16-21, 05:33 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks I was just going to not bother with that forum.