Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

What year and value? Dynamax?

Old 09-15-21, 12:18 PM
Yeti4lyfe
Newbie4Sure

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What year and value? Dynamax?

A

ny ideas on the year of this bike and approximate value? Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-21, 03:34 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Garden variety,1950s balloon motorbike roadster from small Montreal based company that became a Motobecane subsidary. Missing chain guard. Fair condition. Rare but not valuable due to low recognition of the brand and level of the bicycle itself.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-16-21, 09:12 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
I would agree while this particular brand is rare it is not one that will get any recognition collectors value. There were a lot of lesser brand balloon tire roadsters made in the US and Canada in the 50's as a whole there not worth much unless in exceptional original condition. In it's current condition not worth restoring or making into a rider so worth about $100 as decorator piece.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 09-16-21, 09:16 AM
Yeti4lyfe
Newbie4Sure

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. I know it would take more than it’s worth in its current condition to restore. Appreciate the help
Old 09-16-21, 12:50 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
It is a shame that bikes off this ilk don't retain much value because they can be quite charming. Anyone attempting to restore it (safe riding condition, nothing extreme) will find themselves upside-down very quickly.

Good luck whatever direction you go.
Old 09-16-21, 03:05 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
The paint seems to be in good original condition. It's more dusty and grimy than it is rusty. So many times these bikes end up resprayed one color and you lose those cool darts and diamonds near the head tube. I've never seen a curved gusset like that before. I also like the truss fork.

If I had it, it'd make a cool klunker (early mountain bike) conversion candidate.
Old 09-17-21, 02:47 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

The center bar and gussset are for looks and don't really do anything other than make it look like more costly true canrilever frames. of the time.

Last edited by zukahn1; 09-17-21 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-17-21, 06:18 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
I understand the dollars and cents of it - but if this beast was closer to South Carolina, I would have been scrambling to make it my Edisto Island machine for bumming around and going to the store - and it would have gotten good annual maintenance to be kept rolling along in its vibed-out coolness, too. It may not have big $$ value, or high performance potential, but it IS a kinda cool old bike for someone who would adore it. Did you post this one over at the beach cruiser subforum?
Old 09-17-21, 09:05 AM
zukahn1 

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
I understand the dollars and cents of it - but if this beast was closer to South Carolina, I would have been scrambling to make it my Edisto Island machine for bumming around and going to the store - and it would have gotten good annual maintenance to be kept rolling along in its vibed-out coolness, too. It may not have big $$ value, or high performance potential, but it IS a kinda cool old bike for someone who would adore it. Did you post this one over at the beach cruiser subforum?
I can see that the bike does have very good original two tone with details paint and chrome that could be cleaned up to look great I wouldn't be surprised if the wheels cleaned up nice two. Even not great value the bike does have good cosmetics.