Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bikes in construction zones?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bikes in construction zones?

Old 09-30-21, 09:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 4,486 Times in 3,336 Posts
I always pull forward, wave to the flaggers, smile, say "thank you" when they tell me to go, sometimes talk to them, etc.

They certainly aren't my adversary.

The construction zones are an annoying pinch area where cars can't easily pass bikes, so for many cyclists, a sidewalk might be preferable. I usually sprint as fast as I can to get through the areas keeping up with traffic the best I can.

On occasion I've seen signs directing bikes onto the sidewalks which I'll generally do.

A couple of years ago one of the main arterials was closed. I could have gotten around it but it would have added perhaps 2 miles to the ride, including 1 mile on the freeway.

The flaggers seemed to recognize that it was a pain in the rear, and just told me to go ahead and avoid the construction equipment. Overall it wasn't bad, and had the advantage of reducing traffic for most of the rest of the ride.

I do find it annoying when bike lanes are blocked for no apparent reason, or the construction workers seem to think that putting a sign in the middle of the bike lane is the best place to put it.
Old 10-02-21, 03:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
9/10 times the road closed also closes or heavily impedes the use of the sidewalk. The construction [IMO] should not restrict both at one time & maintain pedestrian access. If they both need to be closed, then there needs to be a complete impassable barrier put in place & an alternate pedestrian & EMS temp route created.
Old 10-03-21, 06:48 AM
Thunderlips

Bikes: Trek 660, Shogun 800, Panasonic Sport Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 13 Posts
From a construction worker, most flaggers are not highly trained and are passing the time by counting how many people flip them off...
Likes For Thunderlips: