Notices
Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.

Vehicular Cycling

Old 03-05-22, 01:37 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
My favorite Forester misuse of statistics is his habitual claim that only 5% of car bicycle crashes occur from the rear of the bicycle. That could more naturally be cited for the effectiveness of FRAP in preventing cars from striking the bicycle from the rear.
Back in 2012 the League of American Bicyclists did a study (of sorts, reported HERE) in which they found that 35% of the fatalities were due to "struck from behind" types of events. I think there were plans to do further investigation into on-road bike accidents, but I never saw any more results. One piece of information I would have loved to see was whether or not the cyclist was equipped with a rear-view mirror. This sort of information is rarely, if ever, reported. My hypothesis is that riders who use rear vision equipment are less likely to be hit from behind. In the absence of supporting evidence, I always ride on the road with some kind of rear-view mirror.
Old 03-05-22, 02:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Back in 2012 the League of American Bicyclists did a study (of sorts, reported HERE) in which they found that 35% of the fatalities were due to "struck from behind" types of events. I think there were plans to do further investigation into on-road bike accidents, but I never saw any more results. One piece of information I would have loved to see was whether or not the cyclist was equipped with a rear-view mirror. This sort of information is rarely, if ever, reported. My hypothesis is that riders who use rear vision equipment are less likely to be hit from behind. In the absence of supporting evidence, I always ride on the road with some kind of rear-view mirror.
My feeling about crash stats is any ratio calculations are likely garbage in garbage out because the reporting is so non-systematic and variables (like mirror usage) unquantifiable because no one is recording it. If you think you're safer with a mirror, that alone sounds like reason enough for you to do it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-05-22, 02:45 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

My feeling about crash stats is any ratio calculations are likely garbage in garbage out because the reporting is so non-systematic and variables (like mirror usage) unquantifiable because no one is recording it.
Sadly, I agree with you. My only supporting evidence (case report, n=1) is 27,000 miles of commuting in Chicago with consistent mirror use and no rear strikes. Not much to go on, but I *have* had a few evasive actions based on the mirror, so do I believe I am safer.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 03-05-22, 02:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Sadly, I agree with you. My only supporting evidence (case report, n=1) is 27,000 miles of commuting in Chicago with consistent mirror use and no rear strikes. Not much to go on, but I *have* had a few evasive actions based on the mirror, so do I believe I am safer.
From what people have posted about riding in Chicago, anything that gives you confidence is probably a good thing.
Old 03-05-22, 02:55 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 915 Posts
Not sure why people feel the need to unbury Forrester and put him on trial repeatedly.

What problems do people have with the following?

https://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/

(This seems (to me) like a fairly practical and not dogmatic description of “vehicular cycling”.)
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-05-22, 03:01 PM
sweeks

From what people have posted about riding in Chicago, anything that gives you confidence is probably a good thing.
Well, that's true *unless* the confidence is excessive or unwarranted.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 03-21-22, 11:48 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Not to disagree with you in anyway... but just to point out the irony of the forward person, having to have a mirror, to see behind and avoid the person who is approaching from behind that has a clear view of the rider right in front of them.

Sure, mirrors are great, and I ride with one. But I wonder about the magic of windshields, that do not permit drivers to see cyclists in front of them.

(yes, there is sarcasm in that... as likely a cyclist that is "hit from behind" happens as a cyclist makes a lateral move, in front of an approaching vehicle the cyclist failed to notice.)
Likes For genec:
Old 03-21-22, 02:22 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by genec
Not to disagree with you in anyway... but just to point out the irony of the forward person, having to have a mirror, to see behind and avoid the person who is approaching from behind that has a clear view of the rider right in front of them.

Sure, mirrors are great, and I ride with one. But I wonder about the magic of windshields, that do not permit drivers to see cyclists in front of them.

(yes, there is sarcasm in that... as likely a cyclist that is "hit from behind" happens as a cyclist makes a lateral move, in front of an approaching vehicle the cyclist failed to notice.)
Sarcasm noted and appreciated!
I guess the "struck from behind" can be subdivided into those occurrences where the approaching vehicle is encroaching on or invading the rider's space, and those where the rider makes a sudden lateral move. The "magic of windshields" applies more to the first category, I believe.
It's a bit ironic that the first Ride of Silence was in memory of a rider who was struck by the mirror of a passing school bus. Yet, if you look on the RoS web site, very few mirrors are in evidence, and there is no mention of them. Of course, it is only a hypothesis that a rearview mirror could have prevented the event, but it seems clear to me that there's no other good way to detect such a vehicular appendage approaching from behind.
Old 03-21-22, 02:26 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Sarcasm noted and appreciated!
I guess the "struck from behind" can be subdivided into those occurrences where the approaching vehicle is encroaching on or invading the rider's space, and those where the rider makes a sudden lateral move. The "magic of windshields" applies more to the first category, I believe.
It's a bit ironic that the first Ride of Silence was in memory of a rider who was struck by the mirror of a passing school bus. Yet, if you look on the RoS web site, very few mirrors are in evidence, and there is no mention of them. Of course, it is only a hypothesis that a rearview mirror could have prevented the event, but it seems clear to me that there's no other good way to detect such a vehicular appendage approaching from behind.
Indeed that is likely true... Too bad that vehicle operator, behind the cyclist, is just clueless about such issues, eh?
Likes For genec:
Old 03-21-22, 07:13 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by genec
Indeed that is likely true... Too bad that vehicle operator, behind the cyclist, is just clueless about such issues, eh?
"The best defense is a good offense."
(Loosely attributed to George Washington)
Hence my fondness for, and dependence on, mirrors and all my other safety habits. Trusting the abilities or "due diligence" of the motorist is a non-starter.
Likes For sweeks: