Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

shoes with laces...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

shoes with laces...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 04:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Sounds like you've had some horrible luck or there was some particular usage niggle that caused them to fail; I've never had a failure and they're far too popular for your experience to be the norm.
Yeah, I get that. Most people love 'em. But I'm growing weary of them. The funny thing is that, even though they are on my spd shoes, they are only occasionally ridden on dirty and mucky roads. For the most part, I wear them on dry pavement.
Old 08-02-21, 06:33 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Does the ratchet strap near the top with 2 Velcro straps below count as Velcro or are we being Velcro purists here? I have a pair of shoes with laces and rather enjoy wearing them, I have needed to pull over and make adjustments from time to time. I must confess I prefer the BOA dials better.

I have 5 with BOA’s
i have 2 pairs of Shimano sandals with velcro
I have 1 with the ratchet strap Velcro combo
I have 2 with laces
I signal right turns with my left hand.
oh and I wax my chain.
you have more bike shoes than i have shoes. and that includes my bike shoes.

who are you really...Imelda?
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-02-21, 06:39 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I tuck my laces into my shoe(s).
Strictly speaking (is there any other way?), you tuck your lace(s) into your shoe(s). One lace per shoe, one groove per LP side.
Old 08-02-21, 06:42 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
One of the new models of Specialized S-Works shoes has laces instead of the Boa closures used previously.
Old 08-02-21, 07:47 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Strictly speaking, is there any other way? You tuck your laces into your shoes. One lace per shoe, one groove per LP side.
Okay, let's not start going by "exact words." Remember what happened to Greg Brady when he did that? That's right, bullfrogs on the pizza.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-02-21, 10:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Lace ups are a pain to adjust on the fly. My lace up MTB shoes with Velcro straps to secure the laces under the tongue are absolutely impossible. Love my BOA road shoes because of the ease of adjustments while riding.

Old 08-03-21, 12:30 AM
sw20

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I have a pair with boas and another with laces, once they're on, I've never needed to adjust either pair, the boas are quicker to put on. The pair with laces have a elastic strap on the tongue to tuck the laces under one they're done up, not had an issue with them coming undone.
Old 08-03-21, 02:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked 4,851 Times in 3,001 Posts
My road shoes have Boas
My MTB shoes have laces

I definitely prefer the Boas for ease and precision of adjustment. I wouldn’t consider anything else for road riding.

I only have laces for mountain biking because that’s what my favourite shoes happen to have. Only slight concern I would have with Boas for mtb is potential for damage or getting clogged with mud.
Old 08-03-21, 02:44 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Try not to let your shoelace get caught between the chain and chainring.
Most laced shoes today I've seen have a little elastic loop on the tongue you can tuck the laces into. I have two pairs of Giro's like that. I still have an old pair of leather Vittoria's I bought in the early 90's. They're laced but have a big leather flap that covers the laces and secured with velcro. Those are my favorite style.
Old 08-03-21, 05:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,535 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Most laced shoes today I've seen have a little elastic loop on the tongue you can tuck the laces into. I have two pairs of Giro's like that. I still have an old pair of leather Vittoria's I bought in the early 90's. They're laced but have a big leather flap that covers the laces and secured with velcro. Those are my favorite style.
A bit hard to see, but my touring/commuting shoes have those loops. An added benefit is that they deter cats from playing with your laces.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-03-21, 07:21 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by genejockey
Were they Magnificent?
They were. Toured for 10,000 miles in a pair of their MTB shoes (no laces, though).
Old 08-03-21, 08:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Remember Carnac shoes? Made from Kangaroo leather. I loved the LeMond model. Laces with a Velcro strap across them.
Lake has models with laces. Lake has models with kangaroo leather. Unfortunately, Lake does not have models with both laces and kangaroo leather.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-03-21, 01:57 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Have Speed Laces been mentioned yet?

I have Lake MX 1s. Laces are relatively short. A double knot does the trick.

Last edited by seypat; 08-03-21 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-03-21, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Lake has models with laces. Lake has models with kangaroo leather. Unfortunately, Lake does not have models with both laces and kangaroo leather.
Carnac>Lake
Old 08-03-21, 02:27 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Most laced shoes today I've seen have a little elastic loop on the tongue you can tuck the laces into.
Even if your shoes lack such a loop, you can just tuck them under:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
laces.jpg (131.8 KB, 200 views)
Old 08-03-21, 02:55 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Carnac>Lake
Not if they're no longer in business!
Old 08-03-21, 03:36 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
once the argument about cycling hand signals is over can we start a new one over shoe laces vs velcro?

(disclaimer: my shoes have both)
I recently ditched my spd-sl pedals and shoes on my road bike and went with flat pedals with the spikes and Puma cross trainers. It's working out splendidly even out of the saddle climbing, albeit, my climbs are short. Still, I don't see going back. These are standard laces btw.

Last edited by Outrider1; 08-03-21 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-03-21, 09:07 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
I prefer Boa, but also have a pair of cycling sandals with velcro straps.
Old 08-04-21, 05:40 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Carnac>Lake
Could try these I suppose:
VITTORIA 1976
Old 08-05-21, 03:42 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I commute in my regular work shoes - with laces - 12.5mi each way. Never had a problem with laces getting sucked into the chain...

On longer rides, I still wear my Specialized touring shoes from ~30 years ago. again, no problem with laces...

Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 08-06-21, 01:26 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,642 Times in 949 Posts
Laces, platform pedals. For walking my feet are picky about the tension. Looser in front, little tighter in back. Had velcro, wasn't working.

Modern shoe laces come untied unless I double knot them. So double knotted bow knot. When I started riding again in '08 I rediscovered the ole shoe lace in the sprocket joy. So the bow knots are tucked under the laces in front.

Reasonably stable. If I only walk a couple of miles a day they don't have to be retied. Usually. Three or more miles figure on retying them periodically.
Old 08-07-21, 08:05 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I have a vintage pair of Cannondale C-soles that are my go to cycling shoes. They are lace up and HAD a Velcro flaps to cover the knots but I removed them long ago. I use appropriate length laces and “double knot” the bow. I’ve NEVER had them get caught between the chain and chainwheel or get wrapped around the pedal spindle.
Those having issues (like getting caught in moving parts) with laces, need to ensure appropriate length and learn how to knot securely.
Velcro will eventually lose its “gription” and isn’t easy to replace. Laces too, will wear out but are cheap and and easy to replace!
Old 08-07-21, 10:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I have a vintage pair of Cannondale C-soles that are my go to cycling shoes. They are lace up and HAD a Velcro flaps to cover the knots but I removed them long ago. I use appropriate length laces and “double knot” the bow. I’ve NEVER had them get caught between the chain and chainwheel or get wrapped around the pedal spindle.
Those having issues (like getting caught in moving parts) with laces, need to ensure appropriate length and learn how to knot securely.
Velcro will eventually lose its “gription” and isn’t easy to replace. Laces too, will wear out but are cheap and and easy to replace!
+1 I cut my laces to the appropriate length and melt the cut end with a match. Double the right side twice for the fix gears.

2012, I started riding the Cycle Oregon's fix gear. Even though I brought along all the available cogs for the mountain days, I still had to go up some very hard hills with serious pulling on the straps. Toestraps took the pedal pull but my feet felt the velcro shoe straps. Also, getting the straps just right to prevent crunching my toenails or sliding in the shoe and creating blisters was a dance. Finished the week with blisters, a bone mid-foot that felt broken and a toe that developed an infection. The next time I brought sandals to wear at rest stops. (The red bag under the DT in my logo photo.) Big relief but the same issues riding.

All this time I knew that these issues never happened when I was a racer (and also a fix gear fool - while I was on the east coast and didn't have the Cycle Oregon hills I did used to ride Boston's Blue Hill regularly fixed in huge gears with zero foot issues). Now that was years before velcro and shoe straps.

So, I got thinking. I loved the Lake shoes I was riding; the lasts worked really well for my feet. So why don't I cut the straps off and install grommets and laces? Went to Tandy Leather and bought the grommets and tools. Installed them. (Badly - I used one piece aluminum ones. Don't! Get the better two piece brass ones.) What a difference! Went on to lacing two more pairs, getting more skilled each time. What a difference! Years later, those shoes are still in use and get 95% of my riding.

I love the uniform fit over the tops of my feet. I have zero interest in Boas and their far fewer crossings. And those cords don't look very soft. (I put in 7 pairs of grommets. When I lace them, I skip pairs on some shoes to miss bone high points.) Yes, in-ride adjustability would be nice (on my geared bikes - any system's a challenge to adjust on the fly on fix gears!) but I find the window of "right" is far bigger with laces and almost always the slightly snug ride start and slightly loose ride end are both well withing that window. (In my racing days that included some very long days on the bike. I rarely adjusted the laces. One race, I laced them tight because I knew the race would be "made" at mile 90. Start got delayed for two hours. Two hours into the ride home I saw that I was still wearing my race shoes laced tight. They were still comfortable.)
Old 08-07-21, 10:37 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Even if your shoes lack such a loop, you can just tuck them under:
talk about a trip in the Way Back Machine

Old 08-07-21, 10:43 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
talk about a trip in the Way Back Machine
No, this is from the way-back machine (and I still use them regularly):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vittoria-shoes.jpg (72.3 KB, 118 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.