Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brass cable ends on vintage bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-21, 01:16 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

I bought a 1983/4 Trek 850 sometime last year and I noticed that it had brass cable end on it. I thought they were a nice touch.

I am dialing in my 1991 Trek 990 and decided to go with the brass cable ends. When I replaced my chrome cable ends that I installed less than a year ago with the brass ones, I noticed some of the chrome ones deformed under the pressure of the cables when at angles. The brass ones are not only slightly longer, but feel more substantial and fit the cable stops on the bike better.

I needed only a few more to finish the bike and ended up buying a bottle of them as no place has them in stock.

Were the brass ends ever stock on bikes and if so is there a reason for them or are they just an aesthetically pleasing small touch?
Old 08-29-21, 01:26 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about ferrules as opposed to cable end crimps.
Old 08-29-21, 01:38 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
When I worked in a bike shop years ago I'd see them on bikes that came in for repair from time to time. I always thought they were repurposed from some other application. I seem to remember the ones I saw having a a very thin flare at the open end.
Old 08-29-21, 01:40 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
When I worked in a bike shop years ago I'd see them on bikes that came in for repair from time to time. I always thought they were repurposed from some other application. I seem to remember the ones I saw having a a very thin flare at the open end.
Old 08-30-21, 03:37 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I suspect that all ferrules are brass because they need to be deep drawn and brass is an ideal material for this process. I further suspect that most of these get plated with nickel (bright and shinny) or painted (usually black). It may be possible to remove the paint from the painted ones to get down to brass. Brass looks great when it is shinny. When exposed to the elements it turns a dull brown and therefore why they are painted or plated.

When someone tries this please report back here on the results.
Old 08-30-21, 03:56 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I suspect that all ferrules are brass...
Well they can't be steel, otherwise you'd see lots of rusty ones.
Old 08-30-21, 04:40 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
I just received my bottle of 50 today so I can finish my bike. They feel more substantial than the chrome ones. They are also .001” thicker.
Old 08-31-21, 02:32 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Well they can't be steel, otherwise you'd see lots of rusty ones.
i've picked up plenty of second hand bikes with rusty ferrules. perhaps they're "old" and are not made of steel anymore? i certainly don't see any brass with new ones, though. i've had some fail recently (cheap ferrules) under pressure and it seems like if they were brass that would get exposed the way these failed