Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Installing Rear Simplex Derailleur on 1980 Peugeot Super Sport

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 03:39 PM
HunterW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Bike Forum community,

I am a novice so apologies in advance if this is a dumb question. But can anyone provide guidance on how to properly attach a rear Simplex derailleur. When I attempt to attach the derailleur hanger onto the frame, the derailleur rests at an awkward angle. Is there supposed to be a nut or washer between the hanger and rear mount?
Old 09-01-21, 04:09 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
We'll probably need a picture, but I'll take a guess and ask if

a) the frame has a right rear dropout with an integral hanger for a derailleur
b) the derailleur has a thing called a claw, which is a stamped bit of steel plate with a slot in it at the top to match the dropout slot.

Because if yes to both you can't use that derailleur on the frame without modification to at least one; the claw has an offset part which will not allow it to sit flush against a dropout-hanger.
Old 09-01-21, 04:30 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
You should also state the derailleur model. Some Simplex derailleurs attach with a bolt screwed in from the back side.
Any chance the derailleur was disassembled and reassembled with the spring in wrong?
Old 09-01-21, 07:22 PM
HunterW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oneclick, you're good. After some Internet research, your suspicions are correct. Thanks for answering my question.
Old 09-01-21, 08:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
...if you decide to look for an older Simplex derailleur, that is designed to be used with a dropout like yours, with the integral hanger, be forewarned.
Many of these have been broken over the years by someone trying to dismount them by inserting a hex wrench in the exterior (outside) socket, rather than the interior one for the mounting bolt.

What happens is that the upper pivot tension spring stop gets bent or broken, the upper spring immediately de-tensions, and the derailleur will sort of still work, but not well.
Many of the people selling them on ebay do not appreciate this mechanical idiosyncrasy. So be careful what you buy, and inspect whatever you receive.

I don't think you can simply dismount the one you have from its hanger. But if you post photos of it front and back, someone can tell you if it's possible.
Old 09-01-21, 11:11 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
1980 Peugeot Super Sport Demi-Course

1980 Peugeot Super Sport Demi-Course

https://steel-vintage.com/peugeot-su...ke-1980-detail

Simplex SX 810 with a "claw hanger" mount

Those Simplex derailleurs with a claw mount can't be converted to a direct mount that screws onto a dropout with a threaded hanger without replacing some un-obtainium hardware...

In reference to 3alarmer above:

The upper pivot spring # 3883 could break from mishandling by a hammersmith, or just plain fatigue. That spring is what keeps the upper pulley and chain up against the bottom of the freewheel. When they break, the derailleur sags downward.

Dredging up all of this old Simplex stuff (without pay) is seriously taxing my memory!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 09-02-21, 06:49 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if you decide to look for an older Simplex derailleur, that is designed to be used with a dropout like yours, with the integral hanger, be forewarned.
Many of these have been broken over the years by someone trying to dismount them by inserting a hex wrench in the exterior (outside) socket, rather than the interior one for the mounting bolt.

What happens is that the upper pivot tension spring stop gets bent or broken, the upper spring immediately de-tensions, and the derailleur will sort of still work, but not well.
Many of the people selling them on ebay do not appreciate this mechanical idiosyncrasy. So be careful what you buy, and inspect whatever you receive.

I don't think you can simply dismount the one you have from its hanger. But if you post photos of it front and back, someone can tell you if it's possible.
The two top pivots are completely different, except for the spring. Some claw hangers are like the one pictured below, the use an externally-threaded pivot bolt and a nut behind the hanger; some fit the pivot bolt with an internal tread and a shouldered screw behind the claw like the upper example (that's the one for an integral dropout) - that claw just has a completely round bottom tang. I don't have a picture of one of those, but if you have that one you're in luck, remove the claw and mount it right to the frame; if not (and you have the bits) you can replace the whole pivot:

Last edited by oneclick; 09-02-21 at 06:53 AM.