Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Save Weight on Brake Cables

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-02-21, 01:44 PM
Nuovo Record

Bikes: Colnago Super (panto) - Gios Professional (1st Generation C-Record) - Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra (Team USA) - Barellia Reynolds 531 - Fully chromed Columbus steel bike (Patelli?) Super Record Titanium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

Hi there,

Am looking for ways to push my 1982 8.0 kg bike to 7.8. Pretty much everything is done. The Superleggera seat would save me about 60 grams, the tyres will have to stay on the budget side.
Are there brake cable housings from aluminium or titanium? I couldnīt find much.

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers
Nuovo

Last edited by Nuovo Record; 09-03-21 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 02:22 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
CLB had brake cable kits which used aluminum coil in the housings. Yes, very light!

I fitted such housings on Joe Englert's carbon Willier build, got the weight down to a very low 11 POUNDS figure or 5kg.

He's on road-worthy 24/25mm clinchers (albeit with no bar tape), full-carbon saddle (I've ridden the bike and it's fine).
He's well on his way to climbing 1 million feet in 2021 after riding the same bike 20210 miles in 2020.

Same housings as I fitted to this old 22lb French bike. Colors offered were clear (shown), smoke, red, blue and yellow.

EDIT: I should have mentioned tat the CLB housing is lined. It's a bit squishy and is more vulnerable to kinks or deformations but is very smooth. Squishiness tends to be more of a problem as the weight load increases, why fly-weight racers usually feel less "need" for disc brakes even in hard conditions.

Last edited by dddd; 09-02-21 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 02:32 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
CLB had brake cable kits which used aluminum coil in the housings. Yes, very light!
They could be had as part of a complete set, here's a pic with a bit of the housing visible:

Likes For oneclick:
Old 09-02-21, 07:02 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The tyres have to be budget versions, yet you have the money to splurge on aluminum brake cable housing?
Old 09-02-21, 08:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,851 Times in 6,068 Posts
Also, if that's a Concor Superleggera you're talking about, here's a cautionary tale....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-02-21, 08:38 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
They could be had as part of a complete set, here's a pic with a bit of the housing visible:

are those wooden rims???
Old 09-03-21, 01:34 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by thook
are those wooden rims???
Yes.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 09-03-21, 01:35 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The tyres have to be budget versions, yet you have the money to splurge on aluminum brake cable housing?
Criterium Setas.
Old 09-03-21, 02:19 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Also, if that's a Concor Superleggera you're talking about, here's a cautionary tale....
I’m hoping my recently acquired Super Corsa for my Medici holds up better . Maybe different rails?
Old 09-03-21, 05:48 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Maybe different rails?
Yeah the Superleggera had thicker, aluminium rails. You'll never have a problem with the Supercorsa.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 09-03-21, 06:35 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
How does the weight of the Superleggra compare to the Flite Ti?
Old 09-03-21, 07:04 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 318 Posts
/snark Want it to be lightweight? Turn it into a fixie -- no brakes at all, plus no derailleurs or freewheel -- super lightweight! Cut off the derailleur tab and any other braze-ons to shave off more ounces! Then get out the drill and go to town old-school on the chainrings and other bits! / snark

Is your goal to get a photo of the bike on a scale for bragging rights or to try to make the ride more lively or "better?"

FWIW, retaining cheap tires while spending $$ on brake cable housing in an effort to save 100 grams or so is, IMHO, misguided. Rene Herse or Soma Supple Vitesse or the like tires will not only likely be a lot lighter than the cheap tires you don't want to consider replacing (almost certainly more than you'd save in weight by buying boutique brake housing -- and that's rotating weight), but they'll also likely make a large difference in the feel and performance of the bike, which cable housing won't (ok, light housing "might" make braking less effective, but that's presumably not a goal).
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 09-03-21, 07:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
OP original title was:

Here ya go, only $110, gotta be one of the worse $/g
https://r2-bike.com/KCNC-Brake-Wire-...ating-MTB-Road-

Last edited by easyupbug; 09-03-21 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-03-21, 09:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I’m hoping my recently acquired Super Corsa for my Medici holds up better . Maybe different rails?
Originally Posted by P!N20
Yeah the Superleggera had thicker, aluminium rails. You'll never have a problem with the Supercorsa.
Yeah, the Superleggera used those solid Aluminum rails, 8mm thick. The regular Concor Supercorsa should be fine. When it broke, I decided to replace that one with a more modern version of the Concor with a relief channel, which is both cheaper than a real Supercorsa and more comfortable.
​​​​​​​

Old 09-03-21, 09:44 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Yeah, the Superleggera used those solid Aluminum rails, 8mm thick. The regular Concor Supercorsa should be fine. When it broke, I decided to replace that one with a more modern version of the Concor with a relief channel, which is both cheaper than a real Supercorsa and more comfortable.
​​​​​​​Thanks , I will try it out this weekend. It is heavier than the UniCanitor that is on there now but has SOME padding , plus it is Medici branded on the back so it will add some originality to the bike. Joe
Old 09-03-21, 10:00 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Thanks , I will try it out this weekend. It is heavier than the UniCanitor that is on there now but has SOME padding , plus it is Medici branded on the back so it will add some originality to the bike. Joe
Saddle comfort is so important, and what saddle is comfortable for who such an individual thing that it's one place I don't worry about authenticity in my old bikes. I want to RIDE THEM!!! and if the saddle is a torture device (like the Kashimax that came on my 1982 Lotus Classique), I swap them for something that I can ride comfortably.

Old 09-03-21, 11:58 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
How much weight have you taken off the rider?
Old 09-03-21, 01:05 PM
Nuovo Record

Bikes: Colnago Super (panto) - Gios Professional (1st Generation C-Record) - Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra (Team USA) - Barellia Reynolds 531 - Fully chromed Columbus steel bike (Patelli?) Super Record Titanium

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I still have several sets of tyres that I want to use up, Continental Giro and similar ones. I just donīt like to waste anything.
Likes For Nuovo Record:
Old 09-03-21, 01:07 PM
Nuovo Record

I am aware of this. Concor Supercorsa Profil Superleggera.
Old 09-03-21, 01:12 PM
Nuovo Record

Originally Posted by JulesCW
/snark Want it to be lightweight? Turn it into a fixie -- no brakes at all, plus no derailleurs or freewheel -- super lightweight! Cut off the derailleur tab and any other braze-ons to shave off more ounces! Then get out the drill and go to town old-school on the chainrings and other bits! / snark

Is your goal to get a photo of the bike on a scale for bragging rights or to try to make the ride more lively or "better?"

FWIW, retaining cheap tires while spending $$ on brake cable housing in an effort to save 100 grams or so is, IMHO, misguided. Rene Herse or Soma Supple Vitesse or the like tires will not only likely be a lot lighter than the cheap tires you don't want to consider replacing (almost certainly more than you'd save in weight by buying boutique brake housing -- and that's rotating weight), but they'll also likely make a large difference in the feel and performance of the bike, which cable housing won't (ok, light housing "might" make braking less effective, but that's presumably not a goal).
Fixie? No. Way. Period-correct Superlight.

The drilling is already done. 10 holes in the chain ring save 1 gram.

My goal is just to have fun playing.
Likes For Nuovo Record:
Old 09-03-21, 01:15 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuovo Record
I still have several sets of tyres that I want to use up, Continental Giro and similar ones. I just donīt like to waste anything.

The easy answer to that is to put light, supple tires on this bike and don't waste the old tires -- just buy project bikes that need them!
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 09-03-21, 01:20 PM
Nuovo Record

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
How much weight have you taken off the rider?
My BMI is 22. Trust me, the brake cables are the last thing to work on.
Old 09-03-21, 01:42 PM
Nuovo Record

Originally Posted by easyupbug
OP original title was:

Here ya go, only $110, gotta be one of the worse $/g
https://r2-bike.com/KCNC-Brake-Wire-...ating-MTB-Road-
Thank you, Iīll think about it. They do shift cables, too. Hmmm...
Old 09-03-21, 01:44 PM
Nuovo Record

Originally Posted by JulesCW
The easy answer to that is to put light, supple tires on this bike and don't waste the old tires -- just buy project bikes that need them!
Naw, Iīm downsizing. I have even sold my Gios Super Record and my De Rosa Professional.
Old 09-03-21, 02:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Nuovo Record
Fixie? No. Way. Period-correct Superlight.

The drilling is already done. 10 holes in the chain ring save 1 gram.

My goal is just to have fun playing.
^^^^^^This person is getting it right.

Likes For genejockey:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.