Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of Klein

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of Klein

Old 09-04-21, 12:33 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Will a 25mm tire fit a 1998 Stage Comp? or would i be limited to 23mm?
According to 1998 catalog (PDF) 25c Continental Super Sport Ultra tires were stock tires on Matrix Iso 3 rims 592 ERD 32 for Stage models.
Likes For retrofit:
Old 09-04-21, 12:45 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Pantah

retrofit Nice all original looking Pinnacle you've got there. One of these days, I'll find a mountain Klein like that in my size, tough to do when you're over 6 foot.
Thanks Pantah. I believe this was the largest "off-the-rack" size Klein made in the MTB range – 56cm/22in. Klein listed the "typical rider height, racing" as 73", and the "typical rider height, touring" as 70" for this particular size frame. I'm 5'10" and the bike still feels a touch big for me; nevertheless a great ride.
Old 09-06-21, 02:18 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by Pantah
You mean like this? I know it's a bit older than anything CAAD8 (it's a 1999), but it's still a stars and stripes paint job. This was a fun project too and is quite light, somewhere in the mid-18 pound range. Full and original Dura Ace end to end. $300 craigslist score. My Klein Quantum was $400 off facebook marketplace.
Also, big time Cannondale fan here, I say get one!
Well I did it. Went to look at this one that was local and then made a deal with the seller. Seems to be a 2006 with a fairly decent build. Pretty grimy when I picked it up but with a well tuned, bike under the dirt. Only need a good cleaning and some basic maintenance to sort it out. Once I swapped on my pedals and some bottle cages it weighed in at a respectable 17 lbs 8 ozs. Hardly any real marks in the paint and I haven't seen any dings or other issues. This one doesn't show up in the catalogs but all the Paramount Racing decals are under the clear coat. So most like done at the factory. The guy I got it from said he understood it to be an old team bike. Once I dialed in the saddle position the stem I got it with was just fine. Bars are wider than my normal 42cm bars but actually felt fine to me on today's first test ride.

Now I'm still struggling with some messed up lungs so I haven't ridden hard in over a week. Went out on this just to shake the bike down to see how things worked on the road. But after an easy start I noticed the bike was moving along smartly. So even without being able to breath right I pushed for decent pace. The bike felt very good on the road and I'm sure It's going to prove to be quite fast. Felt a tad harsh on some of the rougher sections of road but for the most part the ride was quite nice. Even with the jacked up lungs I managed to run 18.8 mph AVG for a 24 mile ride. Took all I had though and I think the pace is more due to the responsiveness of the frame than it was my poor effort.

Edit: After several more rides on this bike that pace above seems to be about all I can do it on. Not sure if I'm missing a mechanical issue or if the bike itself is just holding me back. It's definitely slower right now than pretty much everything else I'm riding.

How I brought it home, looked good, just dirty

Cleaned and serviced up, fit dialed in, Keo pedals added with some new bottle cages.

Nice details

Metal flake in the blue

A very nice gloss to the whole frame

Can't find much on this bike, Orange County Wheelmen did have a Paramount Racing Team in 2006 so maybe that's where this came from.

The paint on this is cool but not the same standard as my Klein in my opinion.

Last edited by jamesdak; 10-02-21 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-06-21, 02:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
I almost bought a Klein locally on CL because of this thread.

Space limitations and a healthy case of 'that's too far to go' caused me to reconsider.
The cyclist in me wanted to own it - a good fit.
Old 09-07-21, 09:58 AM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 66 Posts
jamesdak That's a sweet Cannondale you picked up there. I had the same experience with the stars and stripes painted Cannondale I posted a picture of earlier in the thread, both with being dirty but solid and with ride response/quality. It's the lightest bike in my stable and the stiffest, so it's a crisp and swift ride.

Wildwood You have better restraint than I. I live by myself, so nobody to say no, and I'm willing to drive pretty far for the right bike. The Klein which started this thread was a bike I drove 3 hours round trip to get, fighting SF Bay Area evening commute traffic for it. Well worth getting home at 9pm for.
Old 09-07-21, 10:03 AM
Pantah

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Road Kleins only. I'm way behind on my updates for that page.
Life happens to the best of us, keeping everything updated takes time that's not always available.
In the meantime, keep an eye out for my Klein up on Mount Diablo on the weekends, I'll be riding it up there now and then.
Old 09-07-21, 10:35 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
No Klein here but a story. I raced out of Boston (for NEBC) 1976-78. Thursday night as the club race. Gary Klein shows up with a midnight blue, unmarked bike that was like nothing we'd ever seen before. Encouraged us to take a spin on it. My quick 1/4 mile down the street and back made it clear - this bike changed everything! Also that it wasn't for me! Me - a skinny, no-power pure climber who thrived on long, hilly, poorly surfaced New England roads.

And early '80s, reading that Cannondale claimed to have come up with the fat aluminum tube concept - naw. I rode the proof that wasn't true 5 years before.
Old 09-07-21, 10:51 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
No Klein here but a story. I raced out of Boston (for NEBC) 1976-78. Thursday night as the club race. Gary Klein shows up with a midnight blue, unmarked bike that was like nothing we'd ever seen before. Encouraged us to take a spin on it.
I met a guy whose brush with fame was that he and Gary crashed into each other at the same criterium.

I also met Rishi Grewal and he told me some interesting stories about Gary and Klein sponsorship. Jeez this was a long time ago (before I owned a Klein! He let me ride his spare Adroit Pro)... Mt. Sopras behind us.

DiabloScott, Rishi Grewal, Tammy Jacques
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 09-07-21, 11:52 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
The quality of Klein bikes, and some of their owner and dealer literature, were both indicative of an effort to be the best back in their pre-Trek days.

I was smitten by the "shimmering burgundy" paint and cool IC fork crown on one of the pair of Kleins that I did a shared purchase on, but then never rode it much because I hadn't figured out which handlebar bend to use with the 25.4mm Sakae FX stem to make it fit more optimally.

After SeattleJG recently revived the subject of fitting a 10 speed cassette within 126mm spacing that Miamijim had posited, my interest in finally hitting the road on my Klein Performance was revived along with that thread.
This Klein, and the Richard Moon I used to own, are the two cleanest/perfectest bikes that I've ever owned!

Luckily I had a semi-matched pair of 10s STI levers (D-A left and R700 right) and 10s cassette that had come my way at virtually no cost, so I got an alternate-bend 25.4mm handlebar prepped (sanded sleeve, tape residue fought back) and procured my favored black (FELT brand) bar wrap that also was take-off sourced at no cost. A new 10s KMC chain, previously-owned cables/housings (and Continental 25mm tires) completed my inventory requirements for a "new lease" build on the old Klein!

Everything went together beautifully, an old shorter-reaching, 25.4mm Sakae "Modolo Patent" handlebar replaced the original, identically-branded bar (that had awkward pista-style uppers and excessive forward reach).

Pictures below, before I finally fitted the 25mm tires:

Last edited by dddd; 09-07-21 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-08-21, 10:04 PM
Pantah

Got the final finishing touch on the Quantum - reproduction Salsa decals!

Likes For Pantah:
Old 09-09-21, 05:27 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,891 Times in 1,647 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
And early '80s, reading that Cannondale claimed to have come up with the fat aluminum tube concept - naw. I rode the proof that wasn't true 5 years before.
From this page:

'Klein sued Cannondale (and Charlie Cunningham) for breach of his '77 patent for a fat tubed, "high-efficiency" bike frame and lost. Cannondale cited frames made by Bill Shook (American Classic), Harlan Meyer (Hi-E), and Roger Durham (Bullseye) as prior art evidence. Klein appealed and lost again on the grounds that he had conveniently failed to mention these previous builders (and also all the other students in the team which had made aluminum frames in the MIT class he attended in 1974) in his 1977 patent application.'

Some details of the court case can be read here.
Old 09-09-21, 06:24 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 276 Posts
The patent itself on a fat-tubed Schwinn:

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-09-21, 06:44 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Originally Posted by dddd
Everything went together beautifully, an old shorter-reaching, 25.4mm Sakae "Modolo Patent" handlebar replaced the original, identically-branded bar (that had awkward pista-style uppers and excessive forward reach).

Nice that you didn't have to improvise the cable stops.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-09-21, 06:47 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
From this page:

'Klein sued Cannondale (and Charlie Cunningham) for breach of his '77 patent for a fat tubed, "high-efficiency" bike frame and lost. Cannondale cited frames made by Bill Shook (American Classic), Harlan Meyer (Hi-E), and Roger Durham (Bullseye) as prior art evidence. Klein appealed and lost again on the grounds that he had conveniently failed to mention these previous builders (and also all the other students in the team which had made aluminum frames in the MIT class he attended in 1974) in his 1977 patent application.'

Some details of the court case can be read here.
Wasn't Sheldon Brown's wife one of those classmates who made an Aluminum bike at MIT?
Old 09-09-21, 07:27 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The quality of Klein bikes, and some of their owner and dealer literature, were both indicative of an effort to be the best back in their pre-Trek days.

I was smitten by the "shimmering burgundy" paint and cool IC fork crown on one of the pair of Kleins that I did a shared purchase on, but then never rode it much because I hadn't figured out which handlebar bend to use with the 25.4mm Sakae FX stem to make it fit more optimally.

After SeattleJG recently revived the subject of fitting a 10 speed cassette within 126mm spacing that Miamijim had posited, my interest in finally hitting the road on my Klein Performance was revived along with that thread.
This Klein, and the Richard Moon I used to own, are the two cleanest/perfectest bikes that I've ever owned!

Luckily I had a semi-matched pair of 10s STI levers (D-A left and R700 right) and 10s cassette that had come my way at virtually no cost, so I got an alternate-bend 25.4mm handlebar prepped (sanded sleeve, tape residue fought back) and procured my favored black (FELT brand) bar wrap that also was take-off sourced at no cost. A new 10s KMC chain, previously-owned cables/housings (and Continental 25mm tires) completed my inventory requirements for a "new lease" build on the old Klein!

Pictures below, before I finally fitted the 25mm tires:

That's about the same color as my "Klein Licensed" Schwinn.

Old 09-09-21, 03:11 PM
th0m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Could someone educate me a little about the Klein-specific BB and headset standards and what that means exactly? I've always loved the look of a Quantum Pro and have started to keep an eye out for one (they seem to be quite rare in Europe), but if changing those parts could potentially be a hassle, I might not be so keen. Any specific model years that use these non standard versions?
Likes For th0m:
Old 09-09-21, 05:26 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by th0m
Could someone educate me a little about the Klein-specific BB and headset standards and what that means exactly? I've always loved the look of a Quantum Pro and have started to keep an eye out for one (they seem to be quite rare in Europe), but if changing those parts could potentially be a hassle, I might not be so keen. Any specific model years that use these non standard versions?
I've wondered that as well and probably unfairly stayed away from the brand entirely as a result.
Old 09-09-21, 06:09 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by th0m
My Quantum Pro has a regular English threaded BB. I think I'd stay away from pressed in on any bike.

The headset has some slightly unusual diameter bearings that are glued into the head tube - I've never had to change them. The fork is glued into the headset (no star nut) and the steer tube is 1-1/16, so you either need the Klein specific spacers and stem, or a little ingenuity to modify other stuff.

But if you find one that has a good BB and a good HS with stem, I wouldn't worry about it.

The steer tube thing is only Quantum Pro - I'm pretty sure Quantum and Quantum Race are 1". The pressed BB thing is on a lot of frames depending on model and year.
Old 09-09-21, 06:26 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

The bottom bracket really isn't any big deal-pressed in cartridge bearings and spindle. Anyone who has dealt with a Viscount shouldn't have any troubles.

Old 09-09-21, 10:03 PM
Pantah

The older Kleins had the pressed in bottom bracket cartridge bearings. Much like motorcycle wheel bearings. Not a big deal to replace if needed, but the bearings used are very high quality and last an extremely long time, even with heavy use.
The older Kleins do, however, use standard headsets. At least not the top of the line models. Mine is a Quantum Race, the lowest spec'd of the three Quantums available, and it has a totally normal Shimano 105-SC 1" threaded headset.

My 2001 Klein Adept Comp uses both conventional threaded bottom bracket and threadless headset in the now common size of 1 1/8". That was well into Trek ownership and that frame in particular was the same as the contemporary Trek Fuel and almost the same as the Gary Fisher Sugar as Trek also owns Fisher. So, it would make sense to have the Klein use more conventional parts.

Last edited by Pantah; 09-10-21 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-10-21, 12:26 AM
th0m

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks for explaining! Maybe I'll look for a Quantum II then for example, instead of a Pro (even though that Aeros fork is damn sexy). I have no doubt the headset bearings are of fine quality either way and should last a long time, but I'd feel more comfortable with a standard 1".
Old 09-10-21, 06:01 AM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 363 Posts
My 1998 Klein Quantum Race has both standard head and BB bearings.
Post Trek takeover, but still being built in Chehalis.

Last edited by Chuckk; 09-10-21 at 12:56 PM.
Likes For Chuckk:
Old 09-13-21, 10:20 AM
Pantah

I was perusing old photos last night and discovered a picture I had taken of the Klein that got me into Klein's in the first place. Didn't remember even taking it. I'll have to upload it later this week, but it's only slightly different than I remember it as. It was a Quantum, it was a late Chehalis frame but it was silver, while in my head, it was orange. Funny how that happens.

As for my Quantum, I've got about 150 miles on it now and it's such a fantastic riding bike. Very happy with it.
Old 09-14-21, 08:42 AM
rlswim

Bikes: English-built Raleigh 531, Klein Quantum circa '92

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently decided to restore my circa '92 Klein Quantum and joined this forum. I'll post a photo once I refresh it with Dura-Ace 7400 series (and I'm allowed to post photos...). If anyone has info on when s/n QU7CD was built, I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-01-21, 06:11 PM
Pantah

One month in to riding the Quantum and it has been excellent, about 250 miles on the odometer so far. Frame fits me extremely well and the high handle bar height is quite comfortable. Had a minor issue last week with the non-drive side crank creaking a bit, so I took both cranks off, cleaned up the square taper mating surfaces (I must have spaced and not cleaned them at all, there was a bunch of dirty crud), put it back together and that fixed the creak.

First ride stopping issue today though. Snapped a spoke on the rear wheel going to work. Annoying, but I was still fairly close to home so I had time to ride home and hop in the car. My brother has all the wheel related tools, so he was able to throw a new spoke on and true it. I'll be good to go for a while, but ultimately, I'll be building a 36 spoke wheelset. My track record with 32 spoke 700c wheels has been less than ideal.
Now to track down a 36 hole 105-SC or 6400 hub set and rims to lace them to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.