Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Feeling super frustrated. Taint issues continue. UGG

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Feeling super frustrated. Taint issues continue. UGG

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-21, 10:23 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
In order to help others with this problem, I ask you to outline what you've done to solve this problem.

What saddles have you tried?
Have you seen an docs? What have they said?
Of all the advice you've received, what have you tried out?

Thanks.
Old 09-13-21, 06:15 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
In order to help others with this problem, I ask you to outline what you've done to solve this problem.

What saddles have you tried?
Have you seen an docs? What have they said?
Of all the advice you've received, what have you tried out?

Thanks.
Not sure I'd hold my breath waiting for an answer, philbob57.

If I recall correctly, the OP has made either 3 or 4 posts on this subject. I'm pretty sure he's been asked these or similar questions on each. I don't recall him ever answering them in detail.

He seems unwilling to accept "you're gonna have to use trial and error to find what works for you" as an answer. Rather, he appears to want someone to give him a "magic solution" regarding how to fix his problem.

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that in the real world magic solutions often don't exist. Trial and error is pretty damn commonly used to find answers, and sometimes it's the only one that works.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-13-21 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Correct grammatical errors and minor wording changes.
Old 09-13-21, 06:26 AM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Bikeforums has a lot of doctors, almost everybody on bikeforums is a medical expert. It's a perfect place to post medical issues.
Not sure if you're being facetious, or chiding therunt for his advice. But his advice is sound.

Prostate irritation is a known effect of cycling for men, particularly if the saddle is maladjusted. That can cause transient difficulty in urination.

However, so can prostate enlargement due to either benign reasons or cancer. Add an early case of either of these conditions to cycling-caused irritation, and the OPs symptoms are plausible.

Early onset prostate cancer is not unknown, and unfortunately typically progresses quickly (it's what killed Frank Zappa in his early or mid 50s). Early detection is particularly important in this eventuality. The advice to see a doc to rule that out is IMO sound if the condition is persistent - particularly if there is any history of prostate or breast cancer in the family. (There is apparently a rare but now detectable genetic anomaly that increases the likelihood of developing one of these two cancers depending on gender.)

Not a doctor, but have learned a fair amount about prostate issues due to family history and personal experience. And yes, increased difficulty in urination was definitely a symptom.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-13-21 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Add missing info in original and minor wording changes.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 09-13-21, 10:17 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Not sure if you're being facetious, or chiding therunt for his advice. But his advice is sound.

Prostate irritation is a known effect of cycling for men, particularly if the saddle is maladjusted. That can cause transient difficulty in urination.

However, so can prostate enlargement due to either benign reasons or cancer. Add an early case of either of these conditions to cycling-caused irritation, and the OPs symptoms are plausible.

Early onset prostate cancer is not unknown, and unfortunately typically progresses quickly (it's what killed Frank Zappa in his early or mid 50s). Early detection is particularly important in this eventuality. The advice to see a doc to rule that out is IMO sound if the condition is persistent - particularly if there is any history of prostate or breast cancer in the family. (There is apparently a rare but now detectable genetic anomaly that increases the likelihood of developing one of these two cancers depending on gender.)

Not a doctor, but have learned a fair amount about prostate issues due to family history and personal experience. And yes, increased difficulty in urination was definitely a symptom.
No particular symptoms, here, but I do recommend the PSA test - regularly. It is now in a toxic waste site!
Old 09-14-21, 08:38 AM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by kahn
No particular symptoms, here, but I do recommend the PSA test - regularly. It is now in a toxic waste site!
Damn good advice.

PSA testing isn't perfect - false alarms can occur - but getting tested annually (or maybe even more often depending on family history) provides a "baseline" for future comparison.

A gradual rise with age is expected, but a sudden jump should IMO definitely be checked out.
Likes For Hondo6: