Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My Specialized Roubaix

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My Specialized Roubaix

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-21, 10:54 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 182 Posts
My Specialized Roubaix

The new bar tape made it look much better.
The chain has no slack on the front sprocket.
The riding position is much better, even though all I did so far is adjust seat height.

And yes, I really need to kill the grass in my driveway.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 09-14-21, 12:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I'll know it's you when I see those tires! <grin>. Though I joke about it like that you are embracing being different and brighter more noticeable colors.

Hopefully it'll be a good bike for you till you one day find out that there is some other aspect of your performance that it's not helping you with.

No slack when in the big/big? Is that a SS DR instead of a GS? If so the cassette might have too big a range.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-14-21 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-14-21, 02:17 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

It’s on the small front ring and one of the middle rear gears.

Yeah everyone will know it’s me. I may call it my smurf mobile.
Old 09-14-21, 02:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
It’s on the small front ring and one of the middle rear gears..
I didn't quite know and still don't, how to take your comment about no chain slack. You should be able to shift to every different gear combo without fear of the pully wheel getting intimate with the cassette and including the spokes in a three-way. <grin>

However you really don't want slack in the chain for a derailleur equipped bike. Though in some gear combo's you might get a slight sag. Essentially you want the slack taken out, but the rear DR cage to not be at it's limits for forward or rearward movement.

Bike cleaned up real nice. Enjoy it.
Old 09-14-21, 04:03 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Iride01
I didn't quite know and still don't, how to take your comment about no chain slack. You should be able to shift to every different gear combo without fear of the pully wheel getting intimate with the cassette and including the spokes in a three-way. <grin>

However you really don't want slack in the chain for a derailleur equipped bike. Though in some gear combo's you might get a slight sag. Essentially you want the slack taken out, but the rear DR cage to not be at it's limits for forward or rearward movement.

Bike cleaned up real nice. Enjoy it.
I meant when I checked the chain for wear. I read to try to pull it away from the front ring. If it pulled more than 1/8” to 1/4” the chain needs to be replaced.
Old 09-14-21, 11:33 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts

The new bar tape made it look much better.
The chain has no slack on the front sprocket.
The riding position is much better, even though all I did so far is adjust seat height.

And yes, I really need to kill the grass in my driveway.
Boy! Sure looks a hell-of-a-lot nicer than it did in the FB marketplace... LOL!
The whole chain gap on the chainring isn't close to a good 'tell'...
get a chain checker tool. Either the Park Tools Chain Checker-3.2 or the Bikehand (I have both, work equally well)
well worth the price of admission... replace your chain when you're past the .75 mark... NEVER allow it to go past 1.0 !!!
you'll save yourself from the cost of having to replace the cassette and front rings !!!! for quite some time...
... ahhhmm... the front Quickrelease wheel skewer lever... ahhmm... should go on the left/non-drive side... I know... why?
because, when your support vehicle stops to do a quick wheel change, they're expecting it on the left side... soz you can jam back to the peloton quick like a bunny... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: just reading some reviews on Bikehand tool. Seems their QC may be slipping as far as measurement accuracy goes... Mine checked out accurate, but it's 20 yrs old ??? not sure it's even BikeHand brand, but same 'stamped steel' style...
I would defer to the Park Tools checker... Park Tools - their stuff is always top notch...

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-14-21 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-15-21, 08:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Actually I think the pulling on the chain around the ring was to see if the ring is worn after putting a new chain on it. I'm not sure how well that works either, but it sounds like it might work.

However in my lifetime so far, I've only had one ring that was ever worn out. At least no others that ever gave me problems. I figure if it won't keep the new chain from skipping when I pedal, that it's worn out.

Checking the chain is too easy to do with a metal scale (ruler). If that pin near the 12 inch mark is more than a 1/16" further than the 12" mark then it's time to think about a new chain. By 1/8" past you may well have worn your cogs or rings or at least started them well on their way to be worn out.

I also will use a Park chain checker and for me it has always been right. But the scale method rules. <grin>
Old 09-15-21, 09:19 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Iride01
Actually I think the pulling on the chain around the ring was to see if the ring is worn after putting a new chain on it. I'm not sure how well that works either, but it sounds like it might work.

However in my lifetime so far, I've only had one ring that was ever worn out. At least no others that ever gave me problems. I figure if it won't keep the new chain from skipping when I pedal, that it's worn out.

Checking the chain is too easy to do with a metal scale (ruler). If that pin near the 12 inch mark is more than a 1/16" further than the 12" mark then it's time to think about a new chain. By 1/8" past you may well have worn your cogs or rings or at least started them well on their way to be worn out.

I also will use a Park chain checker and for me it has always been right. But the scale method rules. <grin>
thanks. I will check.
The seller said he changed chains 2-3 times per season. After meeting him and knowing what he does for a living I can trust what he tells me.
He gave me a new Sram chain when I picked up the bike. When I install it I will buy another one.
Old 09-16-21, 01:53 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Wow! That bike looks super clean for as old as it is. One of those the original owner never used, I guess. My first road bike was an 09 Roubaix I bought used and it was not near as clean.

Would be worth getting some matching cages.
Old 09-16-21, 02:03 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Wow! That bike looks super clean for as old as it is. One of those the original owner never used, I guess. My first road bike was an 09 Roubaix I bought used and it was not near as clean.

Would be worth getting some matching cages.
it’s a 2014. The previous owner did ride it regularly enough to change chains 2-3 times per year. He seems to have maintained it.
I will look into replacing parts for looks later.
Old 09-16-21, 07:45 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
it’s a 2014. The previous owner did ride it regularly enough to change chains 2-3 times per year. He seems to have maintained it.
I will look into replacing parts for looks later.
DANG!!! He changed the chain 2-3 times/year??? THAT'S ONE SERIOUS RIDER.

for the bike.
Old 09-16-21, 10:31 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
DANG!!! He changed the chain 2-3 times/year??? THAT'S ONE SERIOUS RIDER.

for the bike.
I won’t say what his profession is but it makes me feel comfortable that he did maintain the bike.
Old 09-17-21, 04:31 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
"I won’t say what his profession is but it makes me feel comfortable that he did maintain the bike."

He is a bicycle drive train prototype parts tester specializing in chains?
Old 09-17-21, 06:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I won’t say what his profession is but it makes me feel comfortable that he did maintain the bike.
he was a runner for a dealer and making quick getaways was a matter of both freedom and survival.
Likes For Maelochs: