Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Advice on Mafac cantilevers -- substitute?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 12:43 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts

I have a kinda-sorta cross post on the tandem forum, because I am ultimately asking about a tandem frame. However, I have a narrower question for this other collective font of knowledge, specifically about Mafac cantilevers. In general, is there a substitute that works for bikes that use these brakes originally, like a vintage canti (like Dia Compe), modern canti, or v-brake? Also, something that allows the vertical adjustment to swap from 27" to 700c?

I just don't want to be locked into using 27" wheels and Mafac cantis if I can use something else with the frame.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 08-12-21, 01:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I picked up a Miyata 610 that was probably built ~1983 many years ago with Shimano cantis. Never learned the model #. First ride it was obvious they had all the stopping power of my Mooney's Mafac cantis, same feel and were just plain better, easy to work on brakes. Very soon I swapped the brakes. Those Shimanos have been on the Mooney for 31 years and 40,000? miles.

Now, I had the Mooney built with the canti bosses set midway between 27" and 700c. The 2mm vertical offset is easy. (A very worn and neglected pad can slip down off a 700c rim in a hard stop so be aware. It would be 4mm for you, going to 700c. I'd use rims that had fairly deep and square brake tracks for wet day security.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-12-21, 03:16 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
I have a kinda-sorta cross post on the tandem forum, because I am ultimately asking about a tandem frame. However, I have a narrower question for this other collective font of knowledge, specifically about Mafac cantilevers. In general, is there a substitute that works for bikes that use these brakes originally, like a vintage canti (like Dia Compe), modern canti, or v-brake? Also, something that allows the vertical adjustment to swap from 27" to 700c?

I just don't want to be locked into using 27" wheels and Mafac cantis if I can use something else with the frame.

Thanks for your advice!
Paul Neo Retro. Paul Touring if you want something with lower profile.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-13-21, 07:55 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
What's wrong with 27" wheels?
The only real problem with 27" wheels is the dearth of high quality tires for that size.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-13-21, 07:57 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
What's wrong with 27" wheels?
Quite limited tire choice compared to 700c plus a change to 700c can make an almost too big frame into a slightly more tolerable one. Otherwise nothing wrong with 27" per se. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 08-13-21 at 07:58 AM. Reason: ' to "
Old 08-13-21, 11:32 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
What's wrong with 27" wheels? There's chatter on the MTB forums about going even larger than "niners" for the perceived rolling resistance benefits. Just sayin'.
Absolutely nothing wrong with 27", it's just that I have a 700c wheelset on hand that I'd want to use on this canti project, so if I could manage the conversion, I would. I also have spare 700c tires for the hypothetical project, come to think of it -- just would want to use what I already have in my stash rather than add to the stash for a specific new project. It's a non-issue with most calipers, but cantis make for more trial and error, and I'm just trying to avoid having a project sit unfinished because of this barrier. My time to dedicate to bikes is pretty limited these days, so I'm just trying to separate impulse buys from things I actually want to work on and ride.

I wonder how long until we see a gravel penny farthing.
Old 08-13-21, 11:59 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Quite limited tire choice compared to 700c plus a change to 700c can make an almost too big frame into a slightly more tolerable one. Otherwise nothing wrong with 27" per se. Don
Also allow more room for fenders and bigger tires. My city/rain/winter bikes have been converted to 700c for the past 45 years. (7 of 8 frames; I had to cut the fender for the one 700c frame and go no larger than 25c tires,.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-13-21 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Forgot a few bikes