Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wet lube after immersive wax

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-13-21, 09:42 PM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

After and immersive wax treatment on a chain has worn off after a few 100km, can I simply switch to using a wet lube on the chain, or would some sort of specific cleaning in-between the change be required?

And before everyone brings it up I am well aware that switching from wet lube back to wax will require an intensive clean.
Old 09-13-21, 11:03 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I've used Squirt brand chain lube on top of a waxed chain to refresh it, and more recently Demondtech Lite. Squirt is basically a solution of water, slack wax, and paraffin, so in many ways it is ideal. If you want something less dry, Demondtech works, but you need to spend some time wiping off the excess. Less is more with that stuff. In both cases, going back to wax is simple. For Squirt, you don't really have to do anything apart from wiping the chain off to remove dust, and dumping it back in melted paraffin. In the case of Demondtech, a quick cleaning in mineral spirits was more than adequate. If you don't mind getting your wax dirty, you can probably skip that, too.

I've been to Perth once, but the only biking I got to do there was on a rental on Rottnest Island off Fremantle.
Old 09-13-21, 11:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333
After and immersive wax treatment on a chain has worn off after a few 100km, can I simply switch to using a wet lube on the chain, or would some sort of specific cleaning in-between the change be required?
Shouldn’t be a problem. You can think of wax as being solid oil. It is has the same molecular structure as oil but with a longer molecular chain. Oil based chain lubricants usually have some kind of solvent in them which will dissolve the wax. It’s not terribly efficient but it shouldn’t cause any problems.

And before everyone brings it up I am well aware that switching from wet lube back to wax will require an intensive clean.
The idea that a chain has to be clean and sterile before you wax it is puzzling to me. Going back to the molecular chain argument above, mineral spirits, mineral oil, and wax are part what we chemist call an “analogous series”. Mineral spirits are molecules with chains of 5 to about 20 carbons. Mineral oil is from 15 to about 35 carbons in the chain while wax…which gives the name “paraffin” to the whole series…has C20 to C50 chains. Once you melt the wax, it’s going to have similar properties to the other compounds, most specifically, it will dissolve oils like mineral spirits. The heat needed to melt the wax will speed up dissolution. When the wax is allowed to solidify, the oil will stay dissolved. There’s no problem with doing this over and over. The oil will make the wax a little soft but that’s not a negative because most of the waxes used for waxing chain are a bit brittle.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-14-21, 05:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Squirt. People say you do best toughing up the waxed chain with Squirt.

I have tried using a different wax-based tough-up and it seems okay.
Old 09-14-21, 05:03 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
I suggest cleaning the chain excellently before re-waxing .... not just oil, but all the gunk stuck in the oil.
Old 09-14-21, 07:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Wet lube over wax is fine. Any wax remaining in the chain will be surrounded by oil and eventually dissolve.

I'm with cyccommute on cleaning before re-waxing. Wipe the chain off well, lay it on top of your wax, and heat it. Gunk will end up at the bottom of the wax block when it cools, after you've pulled the chain out, where you can either ignore it or turn the block over and scrape it off.