Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sequoia Question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Specialized Sequoia Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-20, 12:42 PM
Vasyl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size are you looking for?

Need 54 size ( Best option for me)
Do you have any idea where it might be available?
Old 11-19-20, 01:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Vasyl

Need 54 size ( Best option for me)
Do you have any idea where it might be available?
Nope, mine is a 56. If you were looking for a 56 I would potentially work something out since I don't have plans to build the bike anytime soon and really would rather have a bit of money towards another project (or save up or probably just buy tools)
Old 11-19-20, 01:17 PM
Vasyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Nope, mine is a 56. If you were looking for a 56 I would potentially work something out since I don't have plans to build the bike anytime soon and really would rather have a bit of money towards another project (or save up or probably just buy tools)
Ehhh that shame but its only one size up
Could you pleass s wg nd me your offer price.
Old 11-19-20, 02:20 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmc
Just wanted to say thanks all. Great insights. I purchased it on Friday. Just a quick note since I've been so out of touch of bikes for probably 15 years, that I have nothing but positive comments for Mack Cycles in Miami. They've been around since the 50's...[size=33px]
[/size]

Congrats on your new bike. You did good. Going with the 52cm sounds like a good way to go for you. Enjoy your re-start!

John
Old 11-19-20, 03:26 PM
JBjunior

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is a new one, having sold them for years I haven't yet had one come back for any issues or heard anything like that from other dealers. Luckily Specialized has a lifetime warranty on their frames so if nothing else they can replace it so long as you are the original owner so while yes they stopped doing the AWOL and Sequoia I can still replace it with something else potentially.

I would still take it down to your local shop and have them double check everything this all sounds odd even for Spesh.
Fyxation just got back to me (very quick response/support from them) and they confirmed the odd 1 3/8" lower race on the Sequoia. He looked for a potential adapter and couldn't find one. He said they would update their compatibility chart to reflect the Sparta fork not fitting.
Old 11-19-20, 05:36 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
That is a new one, having sold them for years I haven't yet had one come back for any issues or heard anything like that from other dealers. Luckily Specialized has a lifetime warranty on their frames so if nothing else they can replace it so long as you are the original owner so while yes they stopped doing the AWOL and Sequoia I can still replace it with something else potentially.
To Specialized's credit, they have done an admirable job of replacing frames. There was one person who had a cracked AWOL, who then had a cracked replacement Sequoia frame, which was replaced with a carbon Crux frame. Mostly people are having frames replaced with Diverge frames, though, but I think it depends on the local Specialized companies in various countries. If you join the Specialized AWOL and Sequoia Owners Group on Facebook you can see the carnage. Every time the admin would post a frame crack thread over there, some person would go away, check the chainstays of their bike and come back to the group to report another cracked frame.

One theory is that Specialized--or whichever Taiwanese OEM company was making the steel AWOL and Sequoia frames for Specialized--bought a bad batch of tubing for year model 2017 bikes and onward, or that they changed some step in the manufacturing process, because early production AWOLs don't crack with anything like the regularity of later AWOLS and Sequoias. They all crack in the same place--in the chainstays by the wheel clearance dimples and occasionally in the thin bit of steel above the derailleur hanger on AWOL frames--and it's just too regular for it to be coincidence.

Last edited by PDKL45; 11-19-20 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-19-20, 07:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by JBjunior
Fyxation just got back to me (very quick response/support from them) and they confirmed the odd 1 3/8" lower race on the Sequoia. He looked for a potential adapter and couldn't find one. He said they would update their compatibility chart to reflect the Sparta fork not fitting.
Huh? Welp that sucks.

Originally Posted by PDKL45
To Specialized's credit, they have done an admirable job of replacing frames. There was one person who had a cracked AWOL, who then had a cracked replacement Sequoia frame, which was replaced with a carbon Crux frame. Mostly people are having frames replaced with Diverge frames, though, but I think it depends on the local Specialized companies in various countries. If you join the Specialized AWOL and Sequoia Owners Group on Facebook you can see the carnage. Every time the admin would post a frame crack thread over there, some person would go away, check the chainstays of their bike and come back to the group to report another cracked frame.

One theory is that Specialized--or whichever Taiwanese OEM company was making the steel AWOL and Sequoia frames for Specialized--bought a bad batch of tubing for year model 2017 bikes and onward, or that they changed some step in the manufacturing process, because early production AWOLs don't crack with anything like the regularity of later AWOLS and Sequoias. They all crack in the same place--in the chainstays by the wheel clearance dimples and occasionally in the thin bit of steel above the derailleur hanger on AWOL frames--and it's just too regular for it to be coincidence.
Specialized does well replacing frames.

I am surprised by this as we have yet to file a warranty on a cracked chain stay or any part on an AWOL or Sequoia except a wheel set once. I did try and get that switch on the AWOLs for the dynamo but they never sold those separately even as a replacement part on their service page.
I am not on Facebooks but the internet is a popular place to complain and maybe it was an issue with a batch of them for possibly another market and that is why we haven't seen them?
Old 11-19-20, 07:48 PM
PDKL45

Huh? Welp that sucks.

I am surprised by this as we have yet to file a warranty on a cracked chain stay or any part on an AWOL or Sequoia except a wheel set once. I did try and get that switch on the AWOLs for the dynamo but they never sold those separately even as a replacement part on their service page.
I am not on Facebooks but the internet is a popular place to complain and maybe it was an issue with a batch of them for possibly another market and that is why we haven't seen them?
The AWOL wheelset was little better than trash after a few thousand kms, due to the rims. The Hi-Lo hubs and spokes were fine, but the rims were awful. Universally they seemed to develop cracks around every spoke hole; it's something Jones SWB Complete owners are also dealing with right now as well, by the looks of things. It's a consequence, in both cases, of cheaping out on certain OEM components to meet a bike price point, IMO.

The oak green AWOLs from 2017 on crack frequently, but maybe the Sequoias don't crack as often? I am only going on the photographic evidence that the members of that group have posted, and they are from all over.

You don't often seem to see the satin and orange, white and blue, black or red AWOLs cracking, just as you don't often seem to see black base model or black and white frameset Sequoias cracking. The later model green AWOLs and those light sage green Sequoia Elites from 2017 or so seem to be particularly prone to it, though.

Last edited by PDKL45; 11-19-20 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-19-20, 07:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

The AWOL wheelset was little better than trash after a few thousand kms, due to the rims. The Hi-Lo hubs and spokes were fine, but the rims were awful. Universally they seemed to develop cracks around every spoke hole; it's something Jones SWB Complete owners are also dealing with right now as well, by the looks of things. It's a consequence, in both cases, of cheaping out on certain OEM components to meet a bike price point, IMO.

The oak green AWOLs from 2017 on crack frequently, but maybe the Sequoias don't crack as often? I am only going on the photographic evidence that the members of that group have posted, and they are from all over.

You don't often seem to see the satin and orange, white and blue, black or red AWOLs cracking, just as you don't often seem to see black base model or black and white frameset Sequoias cracking. The later model green AWOLs and those light sage green Sequoia Elites from 2017 or so seem to be particularly prone to it, though.
Most stock wheels are trash. I am all for handbuilt wheels especially on a touring bike. Hitting a price point is all well and good for some but I don't want wheel issues on tour or riding around in general. I want reliable wheels and when I put control into a trusted builder with trusted parts I know it is much less likely to fail.
Old 11-19-20, 08:20 PM
PDKL45

Most stock wheels are trash. I am all for handbuilt wheels especially on a touring bike. Hitting a price point is all well and good for some but I don't want wheel issues on tour or riding around in general. I want reliable wheels and when I put control into a trusted builder with trusted parts I know it is much less likely to fail.
Sure, I bought my AWOL fully intending to replace the wheels with a hand built set, but it's the cycling civilians, the non bike freaks, who I feel for in that scenario. They buy themselves "a good bike," have their spokes start to pull through the rim and go back to the dealer with a valid complaint, only to be told that there's no warranty on OEM wheels because they're not Bontrager.

Specialized adventure had so much promise back when they were releasing the Sequoia. The two cromolly adventure bikes, the Burra Burra backpacking bags, the pizza rack and a general attitude of cycling for recreation, instead of wall to wall S-Works racing. Hell, they even sponsored Ultraromance and were making cool videos with fatbike rafting trips and stuff, until the "give me carbon or give me death" faction seemingly struck back hard.

Still, even without Specialized support, I really hope someone finds a carbon fork that will work, or at least an adapter, for the Sequoia.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 11-20-20, 04:42 AM
JBjunior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Final answer: the Facebook group came through. The crown race actually removes from the steel fork and can be used on a carbon fork with a 1 1/8" steerer tube. The bearings will remain their oddball size but there is a path to a carbon fork.
Old 11-20-20, 05:24 AM
Vasyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Veganbikes,

You sent me priv msg but I can't open it because:

The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with less than 10 posts.

so I have to be more active but don't worry I need 3 posts and will be ok
Old 11-20-20, 05:29 AM
Vasyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Final answer: the Facebook group came through. The crown race actually removes from the steel fork and can be used on a carbon fork with a 1 1/8" steerer tube. The bearings will remain their oddball size but there is a path to a carbon fork.
In my opinion all carbon fork with straight sterrer pipe 1 1/8 will fit for this frame.
Old 11-20-20, 06:48 AM
JBjunior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my opinion all carbon fork with straight sterrer pipe 1 1/8 will fit for this frame.
Post count increase. Yes, I agree. As long as you are able to remove the crown race from the existing fork any 1 1/8" steerer tube fork will work. The problem is then you are still left with a crappy bearing. There is a plastic spacer at the bottom that can be removed which may help to add in another bearing type. Looking online it looks like the Specialized Roublaix uses a 1 3/8" bearing so maybe something out of there will work?
Old 11-20-20, 06:51 AM
JBjunior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sure, I bought my AWOL fully intending to replace the wheels with a hand built set, but it's the cycling civilians, the non bike freaks, who I feel for in that scenario. They buy themselves "a good bike," have their spokes start to pull through the rim and go back to the dealer with a valid complaint, only to be told that there's no warranty on OEM wheels because they're not Bontrager.

Specialized adventure had so much promise back when they were releasing the Sequoia. The two cromolly adventure bikes, the Burra Burra backpacking bags, the pizza rack and a general attitude of cycling for recreation, instead of wall to wall S-Works racing. Hell, they even sponsored Ultraromance and were making cool videos with fatbike rafting trips and stuff, until the "give me carbon or give me death" faction seemingly struck back hard.

Still, even without Specialized support, I really hope someone finds a carbon fork that will work, or at least an adapter, for the Sequoia.
My biggest problem, now that the fork issue seems to be addressed, is that the Sequoia is touted as an adventure bike but has a headset that can't be purchased off the shelf. I want to install a sealed bearing system for longevity. Mine is the base level black and I haven't had any issues that I can tell with the chain stays. I also have better wheels for it already so that isn't a problem. Other than the intrigue of figuring out the fork and making the bike better there are tons of other cheaper ways to end up a with a better (better components/more reliable) bike than going with a Sequoia.
Old 11-20-20, 06:53 AM
JBjunior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Huh? Welp that sucks.

Looking on the Facebook page someone has been waiting since May for a frame replacement; seems to be a long time to wait.
Old 11-21-20, 04:02 PM
PDKL45

Looking on the Facebook page someone has been waiting since May for a frame replacement; seems to be a long time to wait.
Everything's unavailable right now, with the pandemic. Bikes are booming, and they're being snapped up the second they become available; they're even selling out in pre-order in some places. It's not just that guy waiting at the moment.

Still, good news about the bearing race being removable.
Old 11-21-20, 04:47 PM
JBjunior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everything's unavailable right now, with the pandemic. Bikes are booming, and they're being snapped up the second they become available; they're even selling out in pre-order in some places. It's not just that guy waiting at the moment.

Still, good news about the bearing race being removable.
I understand, it possibly shows they are prioritizing new purchases over warranty claims which wouldn't be good either though.

It gets better, I just replaced the upper part of the headset tonight with FSA No. 11 AGY (the lower part will just sit on my shelf). The lower part can be replaced with an EC49/40 to convert everything to a "real" 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" taper and then everyone can use whatever carbon fork they want to. You can't go back to the stock fork but it makes it a much more reliable touring machine that can get parts off the shelf.
Likes For JBjunior:
Old 11-29-20, 03:54 PM
Vasyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys,
Any idea where I could find in U. S ritchey adventure fork or whisky no 9 cx all with straight pipe?
Old 11-29-20, 04:01 PM
JBjunior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guys,
Any idea where I could find in U. S ritchey adventure fork or whisky no 9 cx all with straight pipe?
A quick search showed the Ritchey website being out of stock. Have you settled on one of those two? I realized that most of the "high end" American companies were having them produced in China so I decided to go with a Carbonda at about 1/3 of the price and rave reviews. It requires converting the headset but that is a minor issue and opens up the opportunity for many other forks in a more standard size.
Old 11-30-20, 04:09 AM
Vasyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A quick search showed the Ritchey website being out of stock. Have you settled on one of those two? I realized that most of the "high end" American companies were having them produced in China so I decided to go with a Carbonda at about 1/3 of the price and rave reviews. It requires converting the headset but that is a minor issue and opens up the opportunity for many other forks in a more standard size.
This tapered fork from Carbonda will works with Sequoia ? this is it: CFO606 - Fork - Carbonda Sports Equipment Co., Ltd. ?
For top headset you used FSA AGY no.11 ? what about for lower steers (which model ?) ?
Previously I tried use fork from Diverge but didn't fit.
Old 11-30-20, 06:42 AM
JBjunior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This tapered fork from Carbonda will works with Sequoia ? this is it: CFO606 - Fork - Carbonda Sports Equipment Co., Ltd. ?
For top headset you used FSA AGY no.11 ? what about for lower steers (which model ?) ?
Previously I tried use fork from Diverge but didn't fit.
I mentioned it up above, EC49/40. To be clear, the top part already in place on the Sequoia is the FSA AGY No. 1, so don't replace it unless it is broken. I replaced mine to make sure it worked, and because I thought it was different, only to realize mid swap it was the exact same part just unbranded from FSA. I have the EC49/40 in hand but I haven't installed it yet.

Yes, that is the fork I ordered and I am just waiting for it to arrive. If you search Carbonda there are tons of good reviews.
Old 11-30-20, 08:38 AM
Vasyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know they have good stuff but Im not sure if it will fit.
Old 11-30-20, 09:14 AM
JBjunior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know they have good stuff but Im not sure if it will fit.
The fork? 100% it will fit. It is a 1 1/8 x 1 1/2 tapered tube which is what you will have after the headset swap.
Old 04-09-21, 02:45 PM
ayo1212

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fork? 100% it will fit. It is a 1 1/8 x 1 1/2 tapered tube which is what you will have after the headset swap.

Apologies for bringing up an old thread... But I referenced this thread to get a carbon fork on my Sequoia. I bought the Carbonda fork mentioned and I bought the following headset:

Cane Creek 40 ZS44/28.6 / EC49/40 Tapered Headset

I didn't have all the tools for the swap so I took it to a LBS. The first thing they mentioned was that it was the wrong headset and they would have to order the correct headset, but after a couple weeks of waiting they finally said they couldn't locate a headset that would work and gave the bike back to me.

I'm curious if you were able to make the carbonda fork work and if the above headset is correct?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.