Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Thousand Bike helmet?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Thousand Bike helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-22, 09:11 PM
fujimontar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thousand Bike helmet?

Anyone tried these helmets? I realize it's difficult to judge the effectiveness of a helmet until it's put to the test, which one hopes to never do.... But I'm curious about any other aspects of the helmet - fit, feel, etc.

Sorry, I can't post a link or photo because I'm still too new here!
Old 09-08-22, 08:50 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
All I know is that my cheap $20 bike helmet from Walmart saved me from getting stitches in my forehead and a possible concussion when I went down last fall. I didn't think it even hit the pavement until I was looking it over after the wreck and found some of the foam on the front had been scraped off, which would have been my forehead. Now I'm using a different cheap helmet.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-08-22, 09:17 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
This looks like your Thousand Bike Helmet brand.

https://www.explorethousand.com/coll...s/bike-helmets

They have several models including a MIPS model, so you'd have to specify which one you're interested in.

They appear to have a hard durable shell. That may well be good for some things.

However, ventilation appears to be minimal. It is hard to judge without wearing it, but I have tried snowboard helmets, and they make miserable bike helmets due to being too hot. There are few days cold enough for them.

Hopefully even the hard shell bike helmets are designed to keep cool.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-08-22, 09:25 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
I wouldn't worry if a helmet is safe enough, especially if has MIPS certification. Ultimately, the buying decision should come down to comfort.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 09-08-22, 10:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
The few I see in a quick google search don't seem to have any ventilation. And for me that would be very important.

If you are in the USA, then every helmet sold here has to have a CPSC certification to meet a minimum standard for safety. And many that aren't MIP's score just as high as the highest MIP's and some of the MIP's score very low in independent testing.

The helmet I had on when I finally had my bad accident on a bike wan't MIP's and it saved me. My current helmet is MIP's though I realize it might only be marginal gains for my safety.

So pretty much get what you trust and be sure to get one that fits and is comfortable and not causing your head to sweat and get hot so that you will have it on when you crash instead of hanging on your handlebars as I see a few others around here doing. I guess they plan to put it on just before they crash!

Last edited by Iride01; 09-08-22 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-08-22, 11:13 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Here's some ideas how to test your helmet

Old 09-08-22, 06:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
It is one of those fashionable helmets I would hope it would protect your head in the crash and that they would go beyond just the bare minimum to get it to pass CSPC regulations. I am not a fan of heavier low ventilation helmets personally but if that helmet is safe and gets people wearing helmets it is a a net good.

However don't buy into the carbon offset stuff. However a lot of companies and trying to buy their way out of climate destruction with those.
Old 09-08-22, 08:02 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I bought one and absolutely hate it. I’m not sure who’s head they used as a model, but my helmet is more round than it should be and it doesn’t fit well. Even if I adjust it, it still doesn’t fit - and I purchased the correct size.

The magnetic light on the back is cool, but the button is hard to press and it doesn’t use a USB-C connector to charge. I like the hole in the helmet to put my bike lock through, but in all honestly, using the straps is way easier.

I also purchased
A Giro Agilis MIPS helmet A Giro Agilis MIPS helmet
from Amazon, and it is about 1000x better than the Thousand helmet. Save your money and do not buy the Thousand helmet.

Last edited by Alligator; 09-08-22 at 08:10 PM. Reason: The helmet is round, not my head. My head is normal shaped.
Likes For Alligator:
Old 09-09-22, 06:43 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator

I also purchased A Giro Agilis MIPS helmet from Amazon, and it is about 1000x better than the Thousand helmet. Save your money and do not buy the Thousand helmet.
I also bought that Giro and really like it. But totally agree with Milton Keynes, because it was a $20 helmet that saved my noggin - cracked it a bit in the crash and replaced it with the Giro. The big difference between the 2 is in the fit and feel, and I find the extra $60 is worth it.
Old 09-09-22, 07:50 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Prudent bicyclists will do all that they can to avoid the need for a helmet.

The best helmet is one that you will wear. Those helmets don't look comfortable to me, so I doubt I'd wear one.

Beyond a little head protection, a helmet can also serve to increase visibility. It is the highest point on a bicyclist and often the only part visible above motor vehicles. When that highest point is high visibility and moving, it may help steal the attention of a marginally engaged motorist. Unfortunately most bicycle helmets are asphalt or drab colors.

Giro helmets have been the most comfortable for me. Giro Register is affordable, comfortable and available in highlite yellow color.
Old 09-09-22, 08:58 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Most helmets protect similarly, assuming they passed the tests by whatever is the current agency (currently CPSC in the USA I believe). The higher price tends to be for brand name, style, and ventilation. They all start to deteriorate and should be replaced after about 5 years.
Old 09-09-22, 09:03 AM
fujimontar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought one and absolutely hate it.
Thanks! Exactly what I was hoping to find - someone who's actually tried it. Appreciate the recommendation, and will definitely check that out!

Great point from everybody re: ventilation and comfort. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-09-22, 11:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Oh, by the way... if you are going to be riding in a aero position on a road bike, then check to be certain it doesn't come to low on your brow. Otherwise it will interfere with your forward vision when in the drops and you'll have to crane you neck up very high to see and then you'll be posting about the sore muscles in your neck and what to do about them!
Old 09-10-22, 07:50 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Not enough vents.
Old 09-10-22, 08:33 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I have one and like it but then I'm old and slow. The Thousand appealed to me at least in part because it is not high speed low drag spandex approved. I have never seen another one in this area. It fits me fine and I really don't notice the lack of ventilation. YMMV.
Old 09-10-22, 08:40 AM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
They look like something the Royals wear when they're playing polo.
https://www.explorethousand.com/?utm...IaAo2XEALw_wcB
Old 09-10-22, 11:37 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 441 Posts
Love my Giro Revel. $50 at Dicks. Has a visor and lots of vents, a sophisticated one-size suspension, and feels like it's not there.
Old 09-13-22, 03:42 PM
Gear_Admiral 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
The $100 helmet will protect you much better than a $20 helmet.

Will the $1,000 helmet protect you 1.25x as much as a the $100 helmet? Sure.

Will the $1,000 helmet protect you 10x as much as a the $100 helmet? No.

Diminishing returns with price.

I would compare it to buying a computer made by Apple. Is the $2000 Apple laptop better than the $350 Acer laptop? Most definitely. Is it leagues better than the $1,400 dollar laptop from another company? Maybe, maybe not.
Old 09-27-22, 10:35 AM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I bought one and absolutely hate it. I’m not sure who’s head they used as a model, but my helmet is more round than it should be and it doesn’t fit well. Even if I adjust it, it still doesn’t fit - and I purchased the correct size.

The magnetic light on the back is cool, but the button is hard to press and it doesn’t use a USB-C connector to charge. I like the hole in the helmet to put my bike lock through, but in all honestly, using the straps is way easier.

I also purchased A Giro Agilis MIPS helmet from Amazon, and it is about 1000x better than the Thousand helmet. Save your money and do not buy the Thousand helmet.
That's really good advice about why not to buy mail order a helmet, but not being a good fit for your head doesn't mean it's a poor choice for someone else. I used to sell motorcycle helmets and I'm confident at least one of the major brands had 3 different ships among their mass market designs, and other brands definitely catered to different head shapes.

I replaced a Bern that was getting aged and uncomfortable with a Giro Register and it has been a much better fit for me than the Bern ever was.
Old 10-04-22, 02:55 PM
kengrubb

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn World, 2007 Kona Dew

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have a couple of considerations when buying a helmet. Those are: does it fit well, is it comfortable, and can I get replacement pads at the LBS when I bought it?

When I got back into cycling in 2008, I bought a commuter bike, a helmet, and other stuff. I bought more stuff over time. I tried on a couple of helmets there in the shop, and I bought the one that fit well and was comfortable enough. Over time, my helmet became less and less comfortable. I learned about replacement pads only after I bought my second helmet in 2013. Pads wear out and should be replaced about annually. Not all pads fit all helmets, which is why I buy my helmet from an LBS that has the replacement pads.

In 2009, my oldest was eight and took a spill on his bike. He was wearing a helmet, but helmets fitting kids well isn't always a thing. I thought his helmet was adjusted correctly and snug. However, it shifted when he fell, and he hit his head. The helmet took much of the impact, but he got 4 or 5 stitches. It was nothing serious, and there was no concussion.

Over time I've seen people with helmets strapped to their handlebars or bike rack rather than on their heads. I sometimes ask why. With kids, it's usually "My Mom or Dad wants me to wear it." With adults, it's usually "I sometimes ride in places where there are helmet laws, and I have to." So I follow up and ask about comfort, and usually, the answer is no, it's not comfortable.

If a helmet does not fit well and isn't comfortable, people won't wear it. If you don't replace the pads, it won't be comfortable to wear.

My first helmet was $60, the second one was $75, and the third one was $100. I'm not "budgeting up" for helmets, and I don't know that inflation is the factor. So I try on helmets in the LBS, and if it fits, it's comfortable, and they have replacement pads, then that's the one for me.