Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road salt causes sadness

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Road salt causes sadness

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 08:57 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 661 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'm car shopping right now

my Dad passed away last summer & so many tid-bits of his are echoing these days. it's particularly interesting to go through his books & read his notes in the margins. they are gems

if your Dad is still with you, give him a hug & spend more time with him. it may feel like torture now, but when they are gone, those opportunities are gone. trying to follow my advice with my Mom, these days
Sage advise. He passed. I sold his 72 colnago last year. I find myself being reminded of him now more that he is gone, then when he was around.
https://www.kitsapsun.com/obituaries/pbks0110077
Old 02-06-23, 08:59 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
This is why I prefer to use some short lengths of jagwire (or similar) shift cable inner lining to protect the cable and frame. No need to retrofit the plastic cable guide. Works in those cinelli bottom bracket tunnels too.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 02-06-23, 09:05 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Non-Responsive & Not At All Creepy

Originally Posted by gugie
Thanks to the OP for posting so many bikes on different threads. It would be interesting to see pics of bikes actually owned by the OP, maybe even some he's ridden. Many of us like to see those bikes out in the wild.
Originally Posted by Robvolz
We live in the same city. Invite me on a ride. I'll buy the beers. Message me.

Last edited by machinist42; 02-06-23 at 09:12 PM.
Likes For machinist42:
Old 02-06-23, 10:27 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
I'd like to see some of those bikes too, and I live nowhere near you. Can you post some of them?
Old 02-06-23, 10:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
PM sent
Old 02-07-23, 12:00 AM
Robvolz 

PM sent
I'm in St Louis for one more day teaching.

Thank you Lynn (CV-6) for having me over to see your wonderful collection of French bikes.

Tomorrow I pick up the forks from Family Plating services for myself and Josh from Corvallis. Expect pics and a full report.
(I saw the frame and forks Lynn had them do, looks as good as any "from the factory" job, and for $200)

Then fly home. I offered to drive Portland people to the Seattle swap meet if anyone wants a ride.
Old 02-07-23, 05:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Sage advise. He passed. I sold his 72 colnago last year. I find myself being reminded of him now more that he is gone, then when he was around.
https://www.kitsapsun.com/obituaries/pbks0110077
*hugs* my Dad was in the boy scouts too
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-07-23, 07:53 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
I'm wondering the same.
Likes For himespau:
Old 02-07-23, 08:38 AM
Robvolz 

its the reflection of other near by bikes. that's all
Old 02-07-23, 09:27 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I did. I PM'ed you. You didn't respond.
Back in October when you were so interested in meeting up and riding with several BFmembers, we invited you to ride with us on Bainbridge Island. You ghosted us.

This seems to be your pattern.

So, no, I'll pass.
Old 02-08-23, 12:22 AM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
I’ve been looking for another DeRosa project.

found one of the reissue Molteni team models. I think they made 100 each of a 60s, 70s and 80s bike.

the price was right, especially for fully built.

ridden less than 100 miles, then stored in a damp cellar said the owner.

then I saw the BB.

sigh.

Perhaps this kind of work doesn't fit your idea as a project, though you should re-consider.

Much easier than you might think. Lets review.
If that area is all that bothers and there's nothing further throughout the frame, this task can take minimal time. Most of it will be seeking color match.

Before jumping in, think about what might have caused lifting the paint and then supposed salt / air environment started working at it. We certainly can see a friction area caused by cable operation, which in time, regardless of its environment, eventually would wear. Suggestions above are good and using a small section of inner cable sheath rather than bare cable. As for what possibly caused the premature rusting and being a low usage bike, the cables could've had a lubricant, oily or grease substance on a fairly fresh paint when built. The curing may have been short before the bike was first assembled. I don't know what paint or the process, details of it back when, but today's two part urethanes are wicked chemistry, can setup quickly and cure fast, and become hard. But once that was originally painted, a small amount of friction to the not fully cured area and then allowed an oily substance to spread into that soft paint, and begin lifting the painted surface. That lead to whatever moisture or salt environment do the next part of damage in the name of corrosion.

Pull the cables, mask the rest but leave enough of the existing good orange color area no masking. The idea is to blend the paint using a decent airbrush. Priced reasonable from Harbor Freight, hobby shop etc..

Using a small rotary soft sanding wheel such as with a Dremel tool, take that bad area down to the raw metal. Also sand just enough around the perimeter of the nasty area. Put the tool away. Next, use a scuff pad (3M) and lightly hand feather scuff a little beyond the area now sanded. You want the new paint to stick into that original area as a substrate during blend. Wipe it with a proper cleaner, thinner and don't even touch it with bare hands.

Go play and practice with your new airbrush. Kitchen is fine as a temp paint booth. (The ladies do it all the time with their nails- so there's your case if your lady comes down about it.)

Won't go into details on the technique, mixing, consistency of pigments, hardeners, etc. but first use a light color primer on the bare surface. Let it setup and cure. Use the scuff pad again and lightly scuff that now primer area. Then do your magic with the airbrush. Let it setup, don't touch anything, and then do another coat and so forth. If satisfied with the pigment match and its final, but lets say it has some flashing (really shouldn't with a fine paint airbrush), let it cure and then later top coat with a clear.

Assemble cables per mentioned with cable liner.

As for really, really ugly nasty pitted bottom bracket shells, I've surprised myself from some of the worst. Full repaint stuff but once saved an unusual Trek custom made by a factory employee. Another individual acquired it and wanted it restored. It was nasty bad, could hardly see any number stamping. I took a belt sander to it, kept it uniform and removed all the corrosion and deep pitting to full smooth. Like magic, appeared perfect legible numbers.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 02-08-23, 01:18 AM
Robvolz 

I did. I PM'ed you. You didn't respond.
Back in October when you were so interested in meeting up and riding with several BFmembers, we invited you to ride with us on Bainbridge Island. You ghosted us.

This seems to be your pattern.

So, no, I'll pass.
Whoa. I get invited to one ride and I didn't/couldn't make it. And so now this is a pattern?

As I stated, I am in St Louis. I saw your PM and wanted to craft a thoughtful response. You decided to make it forum wide thing , so I'll respond the same way.

Bainbridge didn't happen because I was busy cleaning out my fathers estate the night before, and needed more rest than anticipated after a physical and emotionally exhausting day.

I didn't ghost you. John called me and I explained my situation. I was on the very next ferry after y'all.

Did he not pass on my message? I could show you the texts. Publicly since that seems the way you want to roll.

Sounds like even though we have not met, you seem to want to pick a fight. That's OK, you win.

Congrats.
Old 02-08-23, 01:29 AM
Robvolz 

Dear Chain_whipped.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I suspect your recommendations would be ideal except for the seller really doesn't to want to sell, the price kept going up, and when I pointed out the flaw (the BB) the price went up yet again.

I walked away from the deal. Found a much better source out here in the Midwest. Stay tuned for page 2.
Old 02-08-23, 07:38 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 319 Posts
Dear Chain_whipped.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I suspect your recommendations would be ideal except for the seller really doesn't to want to sell, the price kept going up, and when I pointed out the flaw (the BB) the price went up yet again.

I walked away from the deal. Found a much better source out here in the Midwest. Stay tuned for page 2.

It sounds to me that you perhaps had a number of "negotiations" with the seller in which you told him his bike was not all that great and during this "bargaining process" the seller became annoyed and decided to fire you as a potential buyer by jacking up the price.

I do not know you but you do seem to have a talent for raising hackles here on BF (intentionally or not) , so perhaps you elicit a similar response in person for some folks.
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 02-08-23, 08:25 AM
Robvolz 

Originally Posted by JulesCW
It sounds to me that you perhaps had a number of "negotiations" with the seller in which you told him his bike was not all that great and during this "bargaining process" the seller became annoyed and decided to fire you as a potential buyer by jacking up the price.

I do not know you but you do seem to have a talent for raising hackles here on BF (intentionally or not) , so perhaps you elicit a similar response in person for some folks.
I see where you are coming from. Its in a shop on consignment. Even though there is a price tag on it, I was told from the shop owner the seller rarely actually sells. A hoarder if you will. My personality, grating to others or not was not a factor.
Old 02-08-23, 10:09 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Rob, I'm wondering why you don't take more and better pictures or these pretty machines

You don't seam to give much back info on, or just flat out misinfo on what you post. Come on man. Rust does not mean roadsalt damage, fresh new tires doesn't mean the bike has only been riden low miles.

I mean when I post I found a frame it literally means I found a frame on the street or pulled from the trash. Happens commonly on BF.

When you day you found a frame, you don't say where or how. Like, finish the sentence dude. You ask how much a frame is worth, then you post very few pictures and no close ups. Difficult to give a precise answer. I wanted to say on the Fuasto my buy price, but it would be disrespectful to others that don't have access to places of discount volumes or used bikes. My sell price on that was much, much lower that what others replied.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 02-08-23, 11:17 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Whoa. I get invited to one ride and I didn't/couldn't make it. And so now this is a pattern?

As I stated, I am in St Louis. I saw your PM and wanted to craft a thoughtful response. You decided to make it forum wide thing , so I'll respond the same way.

Bainbridge didn't happen because I was busy cleaning out my fathers estate the night before, and needed more rest than anticipated after a physical and emotionally exhausting day.

I didn't ghost you. John called me and I explained my situation. I was on the very next ferry after y'all.

Did he not pass on my message? I could show you the texts. Publicly since that seems the way you want to roll.

Sounds like even though we have not met, you seem to want to pick a fight. That's OK, you win.

Congrats.
Sorry to hear about your father passing. It is a tough time.

I don't mind it if you can't make a ride, it happens. I saw the texts, we were all staying in the same rental house. A simple text saying you couldn't make it would have been the thing to do.

You asked to message you. I did. I didn't get a response.

Maybe best if you and I just ignore each other.
Old 02-08-23, 11:36 AM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by JulesCW

Who exactly are you referring? If targeting me, you are so completely out of line and I would respect an apology.

>>>>>>Re-read this entire thread from the start. I only made 'one' post, directed towards the OP, one hundred percent purposeful in knowledge, sharing experience and in a cordial manner.

Matter of fact, please do read all of my post. All of them. But also read the entire threads where my post are. Read the others post of others, their absolute narcissist and codgering replies.
Old 02-08-23, 12:30 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Who exactly are you referring? If targeting me, you are so completely out of line and I would respect an apology.

>>>>>>Re-read this entire thread from the start. I only made 'one' post, directed towards the OP, one hundred percent purposeful in knowledge, sharing experience and in a cordial manner.

Matter of fact, please do read all of my post. All of them. But also read the entire threads where my post are. Read the others post of others, their absolute narcissist and codgering replies.

I have zero issues with you. I was responding to Robvolz, not to you.You were not the one negotiating for the bike, so how could my comment be construed as directed at you? He understood I was addressing him, not you. You might want to reread the post.

FWIW, as I said in my post to Robvolz, I do not know him -- I do know he's ruffled feathers a number of times here (which I think drives some of the responses to him in this and other posts) -- my guess is that's partly an internet effect -- I'm guessing he'd be an interesting and fun (while also sometimes annoying) person to hang out with -- some of my favorite bike friends have both of those characteristics. I might be wrong -- what do I know -- I'm, like you, just some dude on the internet.
Likes For JulesCW: