Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pedal washers for French thread pedals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 11:07 AM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts

I'm putting the finishing touches on a bike with a Spidel crankset threaded for French pedals. I found a great pair of Spidel (Maillard 700) pedals that I'm awaiting delivery on.

I've been advised to install washers between the pedals and the crank arms to prevent scratching. When I look a pedal washers a lot of them say "for 9/16 pedals". Can I ignore this and just use any pair of pedal washers? Or is there something specific I should be looking for? Any recommendations?
Old 02-06-23, 11:57 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Roypercy
I'm putting the finishing touches on a bike with a Spidel crankset threaded for French pedals. I found a great pair of Spidel (Maillard 700) pedals that I'm awaiting delivery on.

I've been advised to install washers between the pedals and the crank arms to prevent scratching. When I look a pedal washers a lot of them say "for 9/16 pedals". Can I ignore this and just use any pair of pedal washers? Or is there something specific I should be looking for? Any recommendations?
French spindles are ever so slightly smaller so the 9/16" will be fine.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 02-06-23, 12:18 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,595 Times in 1,764 Posts
Sure, but we'll all know, whenever we see that vélo, that is hasn't the correct 14 x 1.25 pedal washers, won't we?

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-06-23, 12:46 PM
Roypercy

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Sure, but we'll all know, whenever we see that vélo, that is hasn't the correct 14 x 1.25 pedal washers, won't we?
I won’t tell if you won’t.
Likes For Roypercy:
Old 02-06-23, 01:44 PM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 129 Posts
I've never heard of pedal washers on any bike. Is this a common practice?
Likes For romperrr:
Old 02-06-23, 01:55 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by romperrr
Me neither, but it was quick to see them available for purchase online. Hmm, seems like a way to lose 3/4 of one thread of engagement between pedal and crank arm.

Old 02-06-23, 01:56 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
I don't know that it is common, but the idea is to reduce fretting at the junction where the pedal spindle (hard) works against the crankarm (soft). On a used aluminum crankarm a "ring" around the threads is usually visible - this is the fretting damage. Placing a thin washer there will spread the load around and slow the process. Not much of an issue with steel crankarms, obviously.......

Last edited by daka; 02-06-23 at 02:07 PM.
Likes For daka:
Old 02-06-23, 04:20 PM
Roypercy

As it was explained to me, French threaded pedals tend to cause more wear on the crank arms than English-threaded just because of the way the spindles are made. The Spidel cranks I have are shiny and minty, so I figured it couldn't hurt.
Old 02-06-23, 06:57 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
As it was explained to me, French threaded pedals tend to cause more wear on the crank arms than English-threaded just because of the way the spindles are made.

I'd be wary of any other mechanical suggestions from the same source.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 02-06-23, 09:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Me neither, but it was quick to see them available for purchase online. Hmm, seems like a way to lose 3/4 of one thread of engagement between pedal and crank arm.
A washer helps prevent fretting damage between the pedal axle and the crank arm, which can lead to failure at the crank arm's pedal eye.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-06-23, 09:34 PM
daka

As it was explained to me, French threaded pedals tend to cause more wear on the crank arms than English-threaded just because of the way the spindles are made. The Spidel cranks I have are shiny and minty, so I figured it couldn't hurt.
Might be true if French-threaded pedals were screwed into an English-threaded crankarm?
Old 02-07-23, 03:51 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 537 Posts
I never installed washers between my pedals and my crankarms. I want my pedal spindles to be anchored directly to the crsnkarms as much as they can be. Introducing a washer between the two components just makes for more chances (Even minute as they can be.) that the pedal spindles can loosen from the crank, while riding.....
Old 02-07-23, 06:48 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
A washer helps prevent fretting damage between the pedal axle and the crank arm, which can lead to failure at the crank arm's pedal eye.
That makes a lot of sense, but...

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I want my pedal spindles to be anchored directly to the crsnkarms as much as they can be. Introducing a washer between the two components just makes for more chances (Even minute as they can be.) that the pedal spindles can loosen from the crank, while riding.....
Anyway, not only all the bikes I've owned over the years, but the years I worked in bikes shops while in college... never saw them. Perhaps a more recent invention?

Old 02-07-23, 10:47 AM
daka

I never installed washers between my pedals and my crankarms. I want my pedal spindles to be anchored directly to the crsnkarms as much as they can be. Introducing a washer between the two components just makes for more chances (Even minute as they can be.) that the pedal spindles can loosen from the crank, while riding.....
I think you will find that your policy here disagrees with most everything else you own. Look under the hood of your car, you will find washers beneath the bolts that hold most everything on including the cylinder heads - and, trust me, with thousands of combustion events happening every minute underneath them those pieces are trying a lot harder than your pedals to come off!

And what other critical attachment on your bike doesn't have a washer? Crank bolts?, Brake blocks? Calipers? Washers are used because they help keep things secure, not vice-versa.
Likes For daka:
Old 02-07-23, 11:59 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,595 Times in 1,764 Posts
I am sensing a non-issue here. Not using pedal washers with aluminum cranks hasn't been a problem for 75 years or so, so why would it be a problem now?

I am guessing some practical joker at SRAM suggested on a Friday evening over a beer to "let's add a couple of washers to the bag and see what happens".

Old 02-07-23, 04:54 PM
daka

Jobst Brandt likely spent more time thinking about this than most of us. He was also a strong rider who did a tremendous number of miles and spent a bunch of money replacing failed crankarms (more than two dozen according to him in March of 2000, and he was an active rider until his death in 2015). He experimented with other ways of securing pedals, bevels like automobile lug nuts and collets. He went after the source of the fretting rather than "pushing the problem down the road" as one does by using washers.

There was a discussion on this topic just a year ago: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...c-reasons.html

While aluminum alloy crankarms were developed in the 1930s I think it is safe to say that they leveraged the design of pedal attachment from the steel parts that preceded them. Steel crankarms, being a harder material, don't often display the same level of fretting one sees on an aluminum part.
Old 02-07-23, 05:12 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
At the risk of this turning into a 10 page thread, here's a pic from Rivendell's website:

Pedal on the left needs a washer, one on the right, maybe not

Note that the pedal on the left has two flats. These can dig into an aluminum crank arm - it's a stress riser. I'd definitely use a pedal washer if you had this type of pedal. The one on the right we can argue about.
Old 02-07-23, 07:14 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Perhaps a more recent invention?
TA started making cranks in the early '60s and pedal washers (ref.137) came with each and every TA crank. Back then TA cranks had "blind" holes; not really a bottoming hole but a thru-hole that had a blanking plug pressed in to the backside. Those were held in only by a tight press fit, and a pedal would often push them out if its threads were too long. I wonder if the ones missing their blanking plug were simply assembled without the supplied washer, which let the pedal come thru too far?

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 02-07-23, 08:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by non-fixie
I am sensing a non-issue here. Not using pedal washers with aluminum cranks hasn't been a problem for 75 years or so, so why would it be a problem now?
It can be a problem:
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-07-23, 10:00 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
It can be a problem:
Thanks for posting that pic. Pedal washers are cheap insurance for something that happens from time to time.
Old 02-07-23, 11:51 PM
reroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Pedal washers are usually made of thin steel and having a pedal washer between a steel spindle and an aluminum crankarm can help prevent them from loosening. Without a washer when they get tightened the spindle and the crankarm twist against each other and the harder spindle could then damage the softer crankarm by turning its smooth contact surface into a rough contact surface which in turn reduces the ability of the spindle and the crankarm to stay tight, but with a washer the softer aluminum "grips" the washer which prevents it from twisting and the spindle then twists smoothly on the washer as it tightens.
Old 02-08-23, 12:46 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
^^^^
Yep. And every carbon crankset ever made () has a recommendation to use pedal washers to save the aluminum insert & thus avoiding any shape change or stress that would affect the inserts bond to the carbon fiber structure. Most also have a max torque recommendation, too for the same reason. Some as low as 20nm.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-08-23, 07:27 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by bulgie
TA started making cranks in the early '60s and pedal washers (ref.137) came with each and every TA crank. Back then TA cranks had "blind" holes; not really a bottoming hole but a thru-hole that had a blanking plug pressed in to the backside. Those were held in only by a tight press fit, and a pedal would often push them out if its threads were too long. I wonder if the ones missing their blanking plug were simply assembled without the supplied washer, which let the pedal come thru too far?
The "blanking plugs" I've run into over the years, without thinking much about them; never the washer. Anyway, I bookmarked a bag of washers and maybe I'll be willing to add 2.7g of rotating weight to each bike.

Originally Posted by base2
^^^^
Yep. And every carbon crankset ever made () has a recommendation to use pedal washers.
OK, there's a problem I doubt I'll ever have.

Last edited by tiger1964; 02-08-23 at 11:44 AM. Reason: sp
Likes For tiger1964:
Old 02-08-23, 10:50 AM
reroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
^^^^
Yep. And every carbon crankset ever made () has a recommendation to use pedal washers to save the aluminum insert & thus avoiding any shape change or stress that would affect the inserts bond to the carbon fiber structure. Most also have a max torque recommendation, too for the same reason. Some as low as 20nm.
The best and only good practice is to always use washers beginning with the very first time a spindle gets connected to a crankarm.
Likes For reroll:
Old 02-08-23, 02:36 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by gugie
Pedal washers are cheap insurance for something that happens from time to time.
Jobst Brandt had a better solution: conical seats as used on automobile lug nuts. But that requires retrofitting cranks and pedals, and retooling pedal manufacturing. Pedal washers do help, and are much easier to utilize.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.