Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Klymit Sleeping Pads?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Klymit Sleeping Pads?

Old 01-11-23, 03:34 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Klymit Sleeping Pads?

Anyone have any experience with this brand? How durable are they?
Thanks!
Old 01-12-23, 02:36 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I don't own one but borrowed one this past summer when I was touring up in Minnesota and my Thermarest Neo Air broke down after 10 years of significant use. My opinions are obviously subjective but I didn't feel the Klymit was as comfortable as my Neo Air mattresses in that it didn't seem to sleep as "wide" nor as high and it definitely slept colder than my Thermarest.
Old 01-12-23, 12:11 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Anyone have any experience with this brand? How durable are they?
Thanks!
I have been using the Kymit Static V since 2016 or 2017. I used it at least half the time from May of 2017 to the end of November at my parents' place, I was staying there when not traveling for work, helping take care of my dad. I used it on a bike tour in 2018, as well as when traveling for work when I had less than luxurious accommodations on ships with horrific mattresses. I am still using it on ships. It had been comfortable and I have had zero issues with it.

Last year I bought the insulated version of the same pad. I have used it on motorcycle trips camping and it works well. I highly recommend them.
Old 01-13-23, 11:49 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
I have the Static V2. I find it comfortable, easy to inflate/deflate. Very light , packs very small. I cannot comment for durability as have only used it about a dozen times, but so far so good
Old 01-14-23, 03:06 AM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I have used the inertia ozone mat for some years. It has been comfortable for me and packs away very small. BUT the first one tore badly with no apparent cause and the replacement mat I bought also developed a small tear, again with no obvious cause. Both mats tore when in use in my tent so no obvious reason for the damage.
I have now gone back to a Thermarest even though it takes up heaps more space in the pannier as I have not had leak problems with them.
Old 01-14-23, 08:54 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 842 Posts
I have had a double V for a couple of years and while packs a little bigger than some would want it has been awesome. I like it so well I bought a second in case the first failed but after several nights on it I realized it was pretty durable and sold the second one.
Old 01-14-23, 10:28 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
I've a pad for the hammock. No complaints.
Old 01-15-23, 05:31 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 345 Posts
I have spent over a hundred nights on mine, I guess. It has never leaked but the valve is just starting to get unreliable. The valves may be improved since I bought mine in 2016. Packs small, easy to inflate, and the insulated version I have has kept me comfortably warm well below freezing. All in all, I have been very happy with it. But it's not very thick, so not the most comfortable nights sleep. That's the flip side of easy and fast inflation. When I replace it I will probably go with something thicker and more comfortable.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 01-15-23, 10:39 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I have spent over a hundred nights on mine, I guess. It has never leaked but the valve is just starting to get unreliable. The valves may be improved since I bought mine in 2016. Packs small, easy to inflate, and the insulated version I have has kept me comfortably warm well below freezing. All in all, I have been very happy with it. But it's not very thick, so not the most comfortable nights sleep. That's the flip side of easy and fast inflation. When I replace it I will probably go with something thicker and more comfortable.
They have changed the valve. I'm not sure which I like better. I have spent more nights on my old one that you have and it is still working well. I may apply a little silicone grease to it since it is getting harder to unscrew and open, but other than that it works well. There is nothing physically wrong with the valve, and it still holds air just fine.

The new valve is odd. It is larger in diameter, and it flips out and over to deflate. Truly odd, and I am not sure I like it, but it works. I just haven't used it as much to assess its reliability yet.
Likes For phughes:
Old 01-16-23, 01:07 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
We've four Static mats. The two long orange ones have the old screw valves and those are comfy and okay.

We bought two short new green ones with the newer flap valves, one for inflation and one for deflation. I love these because they are easier to inflate and are compact and lighter.

I have had to repair leaks on the orange ones, but that wasn't hard and I used RTV silicone not because it is recommended but because I have it on hand. I didn't try bicycle innertube repair method or the repair kit that comes in each stuff sack.

I do think they are fragile and need to be used to carefully because most everyone in my camping group has these and have had to repair them.

There might be a third valve type out there.

I will recommend these without hesitation. Klymit has exceeded customer service.

Speaking as a side sleeper, I think they are great.
Old 01-16-23, 08:16 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Looking at another double as our Exped double failed while touring in Denmark this past September. We only had the option of 2 single both Exped. But they are heavier and more bulky than the double. Plus they seem to take more time to setup. And since my wife has that job 3 want to make it easier.
Loo at 6+ weeks in France in late August and September. So time to get the new kit.
Old 01-16-23, 03:47 PM
pataspen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had the Klymit Inertia X Lite for about 7 years. It's their smallest, lightest pad. It packs down to about the size of a can of Coke. I probably have over 50 nights on the pad. It provides just enough cushion for a heavy sleeper like myself. Probably not a good option for finnicky sleepers, or tours where there will be rough or cold ground.

It's a nice option when size and weight is really a concern, such as a recent desert bikepacking trip where I had to go 163 mountain bike miles between water stops. Being able to bring more water, rather than more pad, was a good thing.

The bad thing about the pad is durability. I don't think I've ever gone more than 10 nights without it getting a hole. My ThermaRest pads have always been more durable, albeit heavier. I definitely wouldn't bring the X-Lite on a longer trip, or one where a functioning pad is a neccesity.

A few years ago I sent the pad back to Klymit for repair and they quickly sent me a brand new pad. Good customer service. But like phughes mentioned above, it had the new flip-valve. I find the valve to be horrendous. It leaks if I close it all the way, so I must gingerly close it till it's maybe 96% closed. The slightest tap with the valve cover can let all the air out quickly. The old screw valve was much better.

To summarize:
Good - lightweight and tiny option when space/weight is a concern. Good customer service
Bad - Durability. Flip valve. Not much cushion