Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Problem letting go

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Problem letting go

Old 02-06-23, 05:44 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Problem letting go

Started this weekend emptying out my workshop. Plan was to set aside things worth selling or passing on to someone that can appreciate the old stuff. I threw stuff out, old catalogs and such. Then a day late went to the trash and pulled most of it out of there.

Honestly, I never thought in a thousand years I would be that guy, the hoarder guy who dies with a workshop stuffed full of old junk that ends up in a landfill the day after he dies. Seriously, this is a problem for me and I really don't know how to deal with it. I do not want people to rummage through my old stuff or have my kids or wife have to deal with it, but I am really struggling with letting it go.

How does one overcome the emotional attachment? How does one overcome the thought that "I may have a use for that sometime" or "remember when you needed a part and could not find one anywhere?" Sounds really stupid, but it is very real and tough to let go.
Old 02-06-23, 05:52 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
It's a real struggle. I wish I had any form of answer, but my garage, shed, bike room, and hobby room upstairs all tell the same tale as you've outlined in your post.
Old 02-06-23, 05:56 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Viking funeral. Burn everything. That's what they'll do with all my stuff.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 02-06-23, 05:57 PM
SPlKE 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
That's a tough one, Habanero. I'm 67 and have bins in the basement and the garage of things I think I might need.

I'm not a hoarder! But I have way too much junk in my life. Yes, it's all neatly stowed in bins. But also... Yes, it's too much and has got to go.

I have started to work on it. I donated and discarded several carloads and trash pickups of stuff from my garage, including 2 bikes I had planned to fix up, a bunch of computers, and lots of VHS tapes, among other stuff that was just plain trash if I'm being honest.

I still have a ways to go, with bins containing old Campy and Shimano parts going back to the mid 1980s. In the basement, bins of clothes, and bins that hold the contents of various junk drawers I've had overflowing at previous residences.

The "demon" that visits me once in a great while and urges me to not get rid of stuff is this:
1. I suddenly and unexpectedly need a small item I've carried in my universe of stuff for decades. This happened last year when my son bought a used zither and needed a zither tuning wrench. Well I just happened to have one my sister bought in the 1960s, and I knew right where it was.
2. I'll throw away some mechanical part or device I've been keeping for years or even decades. Within a week or so, I'll finally have a legitimate need for the discarded part or device.
Anyway, good luck with it. I'm still working on mine, so I don't leave behind a truckload of stuff for my wife or son to get rid of.

Last edited by SPlKE; 02-06-23 at 06:02 PM.
Likes For SPlKE:
Old 02-06-23, 06:01 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Ya never know the real value but ask my wife. She will tell ya its all trash. Better still would be posting a story of how you finally used that item hidden in your garage after so many years. Here's one...

Had to stabilize with four points a heavy crate at least 1" above a slab. Told my boys to go to the garage corner and dig out the four disk brake disks from our 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon. We put them on the corners of the crate and they worked perfectly. My Boys said... Dam Dad!

Here is another one. Am I ever going to use that Ammo Can with desiccated Wright's Stain, Giemsa Stain, or my desiccated Gram Stain set. Hopefully not... But am I going to throw them away...?
Old 02-06-23, 06:02 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 132 Posts
There is another thread "Reluctantly Selling..." At one point I had over 50 bikes, had about the most complete collection of Bianchi race bikes, pre-war though the early 80s. Over time I decided I didn't want the number of bikes and support parts hanging around. I shifted my point of view from adoration to this stuff is holding me back, so in other words, I found that I could literally "care less". It did the trick, sold all but 5 bikes, sold all the cool collectable Bianchi bikes. I also figured that I was a care taker of these objects not really the forever owner.

Hope you can figure out a helpful mind shift for yourself.

Guy
Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 02-06-23, 06:14 PM
SPlKE 

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Ya never know the real value but ask my wife. She will tell ya its all trash. Better still would be posting a story of how you finally used that item hidden in your garage after so many years. Here's one...

Had to stabilize with four points a heavy crate at least 1" above a slab. Told my boys to go to the garage corner and dig out the four disk brake disks from our 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon. We put them on the corners of the crate and they worked perfectly. My Boys said... Dam Dad!

Here is another one. Am I ever going to use that Ammo Can with desiccated Wright's Stain, Giemsa Stain, or my desiccated Gram Stain set. Hopefully not... But am I going to throw them away...?
"Damn Dad!" Is what my 22 year old son said to me last year when I retrieved a zither tuning wrench my sister bought in 1963.

He mentioned that he needed a zither tuning wrench. About 10 minutes later, I texted him a picture of one I had in hand.
Likes For SPlKE:
Old 02-06-23, 06:19 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Started this weekend emptying out my workshop. Plan was to set aside things worth selling or passing on to someone that can appreciate the old stuff. I threw stuff out, old catalogs and such. Then a day late went to the trash and pulled most of it out of there.

Honestly, I never thought in a thousand years I would be that guy, the hoarder guy who dies with a workshop stuffed full of old junk that ends up in a landfill the day after he dies. Seriously, this is a problem for me and I really don't know how to deal with it. I do not want people to rummage through my old stuff or have my kids or wife have to deal with it, but I am really struggling with letting it go.

How does one overcome the emotional attachment? How does one overcome the thought that "I may have a use for that sometime" or "remember when you needed a part and could not find one anywhere?" Sounds really stupid, but it is very real and tough to let go.
Repeat after me. I don't care it makes me happy.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 02-06-23, 06:45 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I like this guys posts, always have!
Old 02-06-23, 07:03 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 3,105 Times in 1,955 Posts
My question is what would you use the extra space for...?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 02-06-23, 07:06 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
TiHabs,
I am at the same point in life. I have two complete workshops, one for golf club repairs and one for bikes. The tools are well over $100k with the workbenches and specialty items. In many ways I am just a caretaker of the bikes and the tools as they will last way longer than me. It is going to be a struggle to walk away from it all, but I am starting. I have a thirty year collection of Campy vintage parts and have sent along many of the 1960 era parts boxes to vintage enthusiasts. I doubt I will need the six bikes I have now when riding becomes impossible. I am hoping to find a way to pick the favorite and keep it, and let all of the others go. It is a hard thing to do. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 02-06-23, 07:19 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
The bike bits are reasonably well under control , but the books are taking over ahhhhh!
Old 02-06-23, 07:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, I was there about 10 years ago. I was only in my mid-50s, but after a car wreck in 2001 (full size SUV blew a light at highway speed and t-boned my compact car) busted up my back and neck I'd been hobbling around on a cane for years if I needed to walk more than 100 yards or so. I had severe asthma and bouts with pneumonia and bronchitis almost every winter. I figured I'd never be able to use some of my hobbyist stuff again so I sold or gave away pretty much everything to family and friends. That included my 1976 Motobecane, tools, Detto Pietro cleated shoes, that weird old Wonder light with proprietary battery.

But in 2015 I decided to try riding a bike again. Got a heavy upright comfort hybrid. I was still so stiff I could hardly lean forward the little amount to reach the handlebar. I had to stop every 400 yards just to catch my breath and huff my asthma inhaler. But after a year I was riding 20-30 mile casual rides. I upgraded to a lighter, sportier hybrid. Then in 2017, an old school steel road bike, my Ironman. My conditioning improved dramatically.

Then in 2018 I was hit by a car, setting me back almost to where I was in 2001. The same year, coincidentally, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Most of 2018 was a daze of health setbacks, clinging to some semblance of fitness, and trying to avoid putting on a ton of weight.

But I was determined to retain and recover my fitness. In 2018 I bought my first carbon fiber bike, an early 1990s Trek OCLV. In 2020, a friend gave me a 2010 or so carbon fiber racing frame with crankset but nothing else. I built that up and started chasing KOMs. Never got one but snagged a few top tens. Ten years earlier that would have been inconceivable.

In late 2021 I caught COVID despite being fully vaxxed. No hospitalization, not even ER. But despite a couple of rounds of Prednisone, recovery took nearly a full year. I realized what others were talking about with long-haul COVID symptoms, with persistent fatigue, chronic pain, etc. Chronic neck pain from being hit by cars twice was limiting my bike rides to an hour, maybe 90 minutes tops before I needed to stretch, rest and recover. First I quit all fast group rides. That I had to quit even casual group rides.

Lingering vertigo was the worst. That kept me off the bike most of 2022. My cycling mileage dropped from 5,000 miles a year to 500. But I switched to jogging to maintain aerobic fitness and leg strength. I used an indoor trainer too but I preferred to get outside as often as possible.

I was on the verge of selling almost all of my bike stuff, keeping maybe one bike mostly for the indoor trainer, a few basic tools, spares and components. Currently I have six bikes cluttering up my spare bedroom, along with boxes of components, tools, etc. And I haven't ridden some of them in at least three years.

But a few months ago I started feeling better. My running times are improving. I ran a solo half marathon to close out 2022. I haven't quite regained my enthusiasm for cycling, but that's due in part to a sharp increase in neighborhood violence and overtly hostile drivers. Like many US cities, things went to hell during the pandemic and haven't returned to normal yet. It's easier to dodge the crazies on foot.

So I'm still on the fence about what to keep or sell of my glut of bikes. I plan to weed it down to two bikes and the minimum spares, parts and tools.

But I also remember regretting getting rid of some stuff in 2014 when I was feeling pessimistic about ever recovering from the first car wreck. I think I'm keeping some of the bike stuff as motivation to get back on the bike. I can do that with fewer bikes and less clutter.

I don't really have much emotional or nostalgic connection with the bikes and bike stuff. They're just tokens of what I've been able to do in the past and hope to do again.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-06-23, 07:29 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
The bike bits are reasonably well under control , but the books are taking over ahhhhh!
Have you ever considered the benefits of illiteracy?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-06-23, 07:33 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Have you ever considered the benefits of illiteracy?
I have a book in there somewhere about that!
Old 02-06-23, 08:27 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 327 Posts
I can only offer a sympathetic ear. I’m in the same boat— too many hobbies and excessive quantities of each. It really is debilitating.

One approach I’ve been trying with some success of late to overcome my executive dysfunction: take one thing and evaluate what it would take to replace it if ever desired. The act of quantifying and visualizing that there’s a tangible path back, often helps me let go. Rinse and repeat.

If all else fails, we’ll all still be here to listen and commiserate.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 02-06-23, 08:32 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 509 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Ya never know the real value but ask my wife. She will tell ya its all trash. Better still would be posting a story of how you finally used that item hidden in your garage after so many years.
Just today I used an old ammo can that I have had since middle school. It has been empty for most of that time. The cardboard box of nails for my nail gun was falling apart and the ammo can was just what I needed.

For my retirement, I told my wife I wanted a set of nice garage cabinets to replace all the mismatched wire shelving and homemade workbenches. I had to move everything out of my workshop area to put the new cabinets in, which gave me a reason to sort through the years of accumulated junk. The cabinets are now installed and I am working through the pile so we can get the car back in the garage. I'm another one that holds on to all the miscellaneous bits of hardware that might come in handy some day. I sent an extra bag of trash out for last week's pickup, and hopefully I'll have another one this week.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 02-06-23, 08:53 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
...One approach I’ve been trying with some success of late to overcome my executive dysfunction: take one thing and evaluate what it would take to replace it if ever desired. The act of quantifying and visualizing that there’s a tangible path back, often helps me let go. Rinse and repeat...
This works well for me. Sure there is a tiny chance that I will someday want that super light pair of CLB brake calipers, but if I do I can always buy another pair. I'm certainly never going to need all 6 of those Record front derailleurs! I like to sell my excess stuff here on the C&V sales forum at reasonable prices, figuring that they will go to someone who needs/wants them more than I do.

Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 02-06-23, 09:15 PM
Paintking

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I get the joke and the sentiment. I'm as guilty as anyone else here collected bike stuff that almost no one else cares about (except you my fellow BF nuts). But I'd have to say what a waste that would be, and hope that people don't take your comment literally. Give away before you throw it away.
Old 02-06-23, 09:22 PM
Paintking

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero

I'm right there with you. But before doing something drastic I suggest you give things away. You will find people that appreciate what you've saved, and sometimes in very surprising places.

I rescued a mid-80's Schwinn Super Sport from a dumpster recently. Felt a bit stupid about it because I have better bikes and dont need another project. But I just couldn't stand to see it go to waste, nice Columbus tubing, etc. On a whim I offered it to two guys that lust after modern high end road bikes. Surprised to see that had secretly caught the vintage bug from me and really wanted an old bike project. Didn't take a week for one of them to build into a nice fixie.

So pass it on and enjoy the rewards of gifting.
Likes For Paintking:
Old 02-06-23, 10:35 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Local bike co-ops are great way to pay it forward. They love bike parts. I always feel good dropping stuff off at those p[lkaces.
In Baltimore we have Velocipede. Velocipede Bike Project
Likes For balto charlie:
Old 02-07-23, 12:34 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
“It’s still good, I might need it, it’s not worthless” is a lock. The key is: when? When are you ever going to use it or sell it? Actuarial… you have n years left. You can’t take it with you.

And you know how yard sales go. People will paw through it, only one guy will want it and because he wants it you won’t like him.

if you aren’t already selling stuff on eBay you aren’t going to start now. Think of all the boxes and mailing and stuff. Think of that beautiful doodad selling for pennies and you are just eating ten or twenty bucks to ship it.

There’s probably a Buy Nothing group for your area on Facebook. Do a box a week, maybe. If they don’t want it, free on Craigslist. THAT is easy. If it’s still too hard you are going to never do it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-07-23, 01:04 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
There is lots more of this stuff out there. It is safe to let most of it go. After you're done, relax and enjoy the uncluttered space.
Old 02-07-23, 02:42 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Cold dead hands, that being said whatever I do or don't do before I go won't matter.

My kid will be advised to do whatever he wants with the hoard, collection, pile, mess, etc.

Scrap, sift, keep, donate, give away, walk away, whatever or not.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-07-23, 03:47 AM
Milepost105 

Bikes: Vintage to Electric

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 17 Posts
“Rosebud”
Likes For Milepost105:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.