Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Current Shimano GRX Component Lead Times?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21, 01:31 PM
Steve_sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

Does anyone have any real world data points as to how long it is currently taking Shimano to fulfill orders for GRX components? Any particular components that are in short supply? I am currently interested in a 2x11 GRX 800 series group.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-08-21, 01:46 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
No one has anything specific regarding anything bike.

There’s lots of press about shortages but the shortages are regional
Old 12-08-21, 01:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I didn't know you could buy direct from Shimano.

I usually just keep an eye on all the online vendors that I buy from and when they show up as in stock, put in your order before it's out of stock.

This summer I had to watch for an eleven speed chain, I wanted either KMC or Shimano. I think I checked five different vendors daily for a week maybe two before it was in stock at one and I grabbed it. The next day they were out of stock again. At this particular vendor if I'd waited for the in stock notice in my email to check them, then I would have missed it because they were out of stock again by the time the email made it to me.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-08-21, 01:56 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

I usually just keep an eye on all the online vendors that I buy from and when they show up as in stock, put in your order before it's out of stock.

This summer I had to watch for an eleven speed chain, I wanted either KMC or Shimano. I think I checked five different vendors daily for a week maybe two before it was in stock at one and I grabbed it. The next day they were out of stock again. At this particular vendor if I'd waited for the in stock notice in my email to check them, then I would have missed it because they were out of stock again by the time the email made it to me.
This is the regional I was talking about…I’ve had no issues getting replacement parts or really anything from Shimano/SRAM/Campagnolo but frames et. al.. have been tough
Old 12-08-21, 04:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,819 Times in 1,540 Posts
i have some things like ultegra 11 speed chains and the 34 tooth 11 speed cassettes that were expected by colorado cyclist in November and still are not here. Same with an R8000 mini group (this could be impacted by it being discontinued)

White industries T11 hubs are a 12 week leadtime if ordered directly from them

I would not plan on a specific build date unless I has parts in hand. Good luck

Old 12-08-21, 10:27 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

This is exactly what I did last spring (except it was SRAM). I ended up putting together two complete bikes using maybe a half dozen online vendors. I imagine it cost me some premium pricing, but it worked out. Sometimes I had to buy a couple of partial "build kit" sets for some of the parts and sell the ones I didn't need. It worked out OK since eBay prices were going pretty good at the time. But in these times I was far less price sensitive than normally ... but I got the bikes built before May 1 - ordered the frame in early March, had the parts assembled by the time they arrived in late April. and it was well worth it.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-12-21 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-09-21, 09:07 PM
Steve_sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Well, I actually called Shimano in California and here is what they told me...

The main lead items are currently brake calipers and levers. If ordered now might not arrive before next April for the levers and May for the calipers. The rest of the issue is a current 2-3 month transit time between the factory and U.S. distribution. The rep said that they are running the factories 24/7 as long as they can get the input parts and materials.
Likes For Steve_sr: