Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are these chains legit?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are these chains legit?

Old 11-04-21, 03:09 PM
Booth99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are these chains legit?

Given the recent chain shortage, I'm hesitant. There are lots of Dura Ace/XTR chains claiming to be Shimano parts on eBay for $25-40. Is this legit? How can I spot the fakes from the genuines?

My account is too new to post links, so you'll have to head over to eBay yourself and put this in the search box to see what I'm talking about:

Code:
(363577815702,313713833545,294497881959,363529218989,313660292553,384427877094)
Old 11-04-21, 03:24 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
I am in the same situation.
No they are not legit.
If they cost less than normal retail and not coming from a trusted source they are very likely fake.
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 11-04-21, 07:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
If you actually have to ask, the answer is NO! Please don't buy fake parts or knockoffs or anything like that. If you want that product buy it if you just want to fake it then buy a legitimate product somewhere else that is real but maybe costs less or just save up a little.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-04-21, 07:58 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I saw those when I was chain shopping. I am confident they are fake. The sellers don't have much history. It's an easy pass.
Old 11-04-21, 08:22 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
My bike shop has to now buy 11 speed chains at cost to keep them in stock and then having to up that just to make a snug of profit. KMC 11-Speed chains are currently 99.00 dollars if that gives you any indication.

There’s other bike shops around me that will only sell you an 11 speed chain if they’re installing it on the bike right there and then.
Old 11-04-21, 09:03 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
D/A chains have hollow pins, and the cheap chains on eBay clearly have solid pins. i.e., they are fake.
Old 11-04-21, 11:12 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15
My bike shop has to now buy 11 speed chains at cost to keep them in stock and then having to up that just to make a snug of profit. KMC 11-Speed chains are currently 99.00 dollars if that gives you any indication.

There’s other bike shops around me that will only sell you an 11 speed chain if they’re installing it on the bike right there and then.
Can I ask what model of KMC? Because $99 is an awful lot for their X line
Old 11-05-21, 07:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Yeah, that's crazy. I've seen the "SL" versions get that high.
The basic no frills one though, this is realistic price: https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Unisexs-C...PB3?th=1&psc=1
Old 11-05-21, 07:22 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts
Those are very bad fakes, even the word Shimano is off the package. I did vendor evaluation in the PRC for a few years and can tell you there are much better fakes out there. I came to understand the Chinese have no problem with "Buyer Beware" and if they pull one over on you it is not a negative reflection on them just a failure on your part. Once a manufacturing run is over and the company like Shimano pulls their QA/QC engineers the Chinese company can use the manufacturing line with cheaper material and tooling to crank these out. That said, if they are selling an end run of Shimano manufacturing with Shimano quality materials and tooling you might luck out, in this case with the number of sellers and chains I would seriously doubt it.
Old 11-05-21, 07:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Just go to the sites of online vendors that are actual bike shops or online vendors that only sell bike stuff. Not Amazon, Not eBay.

I regularly buy from:

Universal Cycles
Tree-Fort Bikes
JensonUSA
Bike Closet (not for chains)

Don't know what speed bike you are looking for chains, but there are 11 and 10 speed chains available at some of those places right now. Just not Shimano. If you want Shimano, then get on the waiting list with or subscribe for notification when back in stock.

I needed a 11 speed chain a little month ago and I too wanted just Shimano or KMC. I checked each of those sites daily and eventually one had them back in stock and I ordered it. The next day they showed out of stock again. So I got my chain just in time.

These online vendors and other similar are unlikely to buy from sources that can't be trusted. You can't say that for any on eBay, or Amazon, though it's likely most are honest.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-05-21 at 07:46 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-05-21, 08:08 AM
Yelbom15

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT

We’re carrying KMC X11. We also managed to get a huge batch of Shimano 11HG-X11.

Slowly but surely we’re coming back to normal.
Old 11-05-21, 08:22 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I can't be sure about the Shimano chains or 11 speed chains but have experience with buying KMC chains for 8, 9, and 10 speed recumbents where the chain length is more than twice as long as on a standard road bike. My local LBS wants an arm and a leg for three KMC X10.93 chains. I buy them online from a legitimate bike shop where they cut the chains from a bulk roll and sell it without the packaging. My last order was from Trailthis, a vendor on eBay. They have a sizable store in Mt. Horeb, WI and I can easily verify their presence here https://trailthis.com/. I've recommended them to other recumbent trike riders and never had any negative feedback. My suggestion is to pick one of the sellers who has a real bike shop as they are unlikely to sell fake products that would jeopardize the store reputation.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 11-05-21, 08:06 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
I couldn't get anything to come up with the codes you provided so I couldn't see the actual packaging but based on the price I'd certainly say yes they are fake. I know there's also a lot floating around Ali that are not legit too. I did notice on all of those that the packaging look exactly identical to Shimano's with the exception there was no Shimano logo. I don't use ebay much but I know that Ali has dealt with every issue I've had (which is very few) quickly and decisively so long as you can show pics to plead your case. I suspect if something was discovered to be counterfeit they'd do the same but you have to read the fine print to see if they're just trying to fool you that it's legit or actually state it in their ad. Word to the wise I've noticed they will use the same part #'s as Shimano products but don't actually say anywhere it's actually Shimano. Gotta be on these things.

Having said that, I recently replaced a HG701 chain with a SRAM 1130 chain because it's a cheap substitute until the better Shimano chains are available again and I'm pleasantly surprised with it. I haven't liked any KMC chain I've used (worked perfectly fine but noisy) so I won't recommend them but I know there's a ton of peeps out there who prefer them so you can roll the dice on that one.
Old 11-06-21, 12:10 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
We’re carrying KMC X11. We also managed to get a huge batch of Shimano 11HG-X11.

Slowly but surely we’re coming back to normal.
Maybe I'm missing something but $99 for X11 is not high, it's triple the MSRP
Old 11-06-21, 11:17 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts

I just searched KMC X11 on Ebay and there are lots of listings for $27-$33
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KMC-X11-Str...-127632-2357-0

why would anyone pay $99?
Old 11-07-21, 06:17 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee

Amazon has them for $30:
https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Unisexs-C...10226281&psc=1

The Shimano 11sp chains are indeed very expensive right now, but in my experience the KMCs work just as well, are just as reliable and are the same weight. I've read that Shimano chains are made by KMC, no idea if that's actually true..
Old 11-15-21, 08:34 PM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 24 Posts
KMC here. There are more and more counterfeit chains in the market for all brands. We have started to monitor many major online marketplaces with Sentryc to find and put a stop to those selling counterfeit KMC products.

We recommend buying from a trusted retailer. And if the seller looks sketchy, the reviews are bad, and/or the price is too good to be true, it's probably a fake. Feel free to message me with any inquiries.
Likes For Papa Ado:
Old 11-15-21, 10:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
My understanding is that KMC is the most counterfeited brand of chains.

When I was shopping for drivetrains on alibaba, they would have no-name cassette, sensah derailleurs and shifters, and a KMC chain for a few $. It's so cheap they could admit they made it in their garage machine shop and nobody would care, but they have to say it's KMC.
Old 11-16-21, 07:23 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts

I agree $99 is too much but these are highly likely fake, I do not believe these are end runs or over runs. I looked at only two $27 listing, one of the people selling them has 2 total sales and also sells sexy garter belts, the other one had this posted on his ebay listing as to why the negative review:
"I was sold a counterfeit bicycle chain (manufacturer confirmed it is a fake). This is extremely dangerous, as I am a bike racer, and a broken chain during a sprint can result in serious injuries. The seller was cooperative in refunding most of the purchase price, but did now acknowledge that it is counterfeit. I believe that this seller will continue to sell counterfeit products to ebay customers."
Few cyclists actually sprint as in a race and many cyclists would have no idea of reasonable chain life and not know a premature failure from normal wear .

Last edited by easyupbug; 11-16-21 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-16-21, 09:45 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I agree $99 is too much but these are highly likely fake, I do not believe these are end runs or over runs. I looked at only two $27 listing, one of the people selling them has 2 total sales and also sells sexy garter belts, the other one had this posted on his ebay listing as to why the negative review:
"I was sold a counterfeit bicycle chain (manufacturer confirmed it is a fake). This is extremely dangerous, as I am a bike racer, and a broken chain during a sprint can result in serious injuries. The seller was cooperative in refunding most of the purchase price, but did now acknowledge that it is counterfeit. I believe that this seller will continue to sell counterfeit products to ebay customers."
Few cyclists actually sprint as in a race and many cyclists would have no idea of reasonable chain life and not know a premature failure from normal wear .
Well - here is one for $35:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/321918324038
Sold by an actual bike shop in Wisconsin.
Old 11-17-21, 04:47 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Well - here is one for $35:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/321918324038
Sold by an actual bike shop in Wisconsin.
I ordered from them recently and had a good experience.