Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sharing the find.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sharing the find.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-21, 02:08 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3171 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,153 Posts
Sharing the find.

When I was building the Ironman last week, I found it takes recessed brakes. While going through EVERY possible ziploc of odds and sods, looking for the proper nuts, I stumbled across the small collection of crank dust covers. I had been looking for these for more than five years, knowing they were around somewhere.
That is all.
Old 11-13-21, 02:20 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
One of the fun things having a stash and being old. New discoveries every time!
Old 11-13-21, 03:21 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
My surprises are when I bought a "lot" of parts, made the buy decision regarding an obscure part.
One time being some Campagnolo pre-CPSC brake caliper QR levers, which soon after someone contacted me and asked if I was interested in selling them...
This before ebay cloaked buyers. I replied to them that was Precisely why I bought the lot.
years later I encounter misc. parts that I now have but did not mentally catalog.
Old 11-13-21, 09:04 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Today found a stash of forgotten tire levers acquired when bikes were purchased with saddle bags.
Count ‘em…twelve!
Old 11-14-21, 01:30 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 215 Posts
I have a black needle bearing headset...somewhere...in the boxes.

Good on ya for finding a long-sought stash item.
Old 11-14-21, 02:45 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I replaced the inner ring of Shimano 600 crank from 42 to 38 last year.
I am sure didn't sell it and off course didn't throw it away, but couldn't find for some month or more.
Then, the other day was looking some tubes and it was there it was, at the bottom of the box.
Old 11-14-21, 06:48 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

There is a reason I hang stuff up!

P1040015 on Flickr
Old 11-14-21, 07:18 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
I increasingly seem to find things that I have no memory of acquiring in the first place. Those are nice little surprises.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-14-21, 07:42 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
I retired in September, and we purchased a home on the GA coast for the cooler months. I've had on hold the rebuilding of my Lotus Super Pro Aero with mostly DA AX gear for about the past three years. All the parts were removed for cleaning and the pivot points lubed long ago, and carefully packed away in a properly labeled plastic storage bin--- except the chrome fork and the wheels, which would not fit.

(As purchased prior to disassembly)

When, we moved to GA in October, I was careful to pack the Lotus frame, the plastic parts bin, the wheel set, several different pairs of tubular tires, and the fork (to which I had taped the chrome frame pump) in our cargo trailer. While the parts bin was easy packing, and I made a rack from which to hang the frame and wheelset, the fork kept flummoxing me for a safe and secure packing spot. Eventually I determined a great spot--- and then forgot in what I placed it!

I discovered it was missing when I started rebuilding after the move south. I looked everywhere, in everything, under everything, but with no luck. I was worried sick and was eventually convinced I had left it in storage in NH.

We flew back to NH the beginning of November, and the next morning I searched again--- with no luck! Now I was convinced I had thrown it away!

We began driving our van back to GA a week later. We had lots of places to stop and people to visit so the trip took more than a week.

On the last leg of the trip, about 1-2 hours from arrival, the hidden location dawned on me! I had stashed it securely in the long plastic bin holding the rolls of Christmas wrapping paper! When we arrived, I went immediately to the wrapping paper bin--- and there it was, happy as a bug in a rug!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 11-14-21, 08:28 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I retired in September, and we purchased a home on the GA coast for the cooler months. I've had on hold the rebuilding of my Lotus Super Pro Aero with mostly DA AX gear for about the past three years. All the parts were removed for cleaning and the pivot points lubed long ago, and carefully packed away in a properly labeled plastic storage bin--- except the chrome fork and the wheels, which would not fit.

(As purchased prior to disassembly)

When, we moved to GA in October, I was careful to pack the Lotus frame, the plastic parts bin, the wheel set, several different pairs of tubular tires, and the fork (to which I had taped the chrome frame pump) in our cargo trailer. While the parts bin was easy packing, and I made a rack from which to hang the frame and wheelset, the fork kept flummoxing me for a safe and secure packing spot. Eventually I determined a great spot--- and then forgot in what I placed it!

I discovered it was missing when I started rebuilding after the move south. I looked everywhere, in everything, under everything, but with no luck. I was worried sick and was eventually convinced I had left it in storage in NH.

We flew back to NH the beginning of November, and the next morning I searched again--- with no luck! Now I was convinced I had thrown it away!

We began driving our van back to GA a week later. We had lots of places to stop and people to visit so the trip took more than a week.

On the last leg of the trip, about 1-2 hours from arrival, the hidden location dawned on me! I had stashed it securely in the long plastic bin holding the rolls of Christmas wrapping paper! When we arrived, I went immediately to the wrapping paper bin--- and there it was, happy as a bug in a rug!
I’m glad you found it , Bob. I have done the very same thing. I took three medium sized boxes of parts to our bike cooperative here in Ventura , most of the stuff was never going to see any of my present builds. I thought I had inadvertently put some of my Campy smalls in there because I was looking for some brake adjusters that I had in a Ziplok bag, a couple that Jim Merz made for me were in there as well. An hour in the attic and viola it appeared. A box of little jewels that I had stashed for future builds. I needed them as I am presently building three bikes! Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-14-21, 09:28 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426

P1040015 on Flickr
Good Idea...if you have enough wall to hang stuff on.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 11-14-21, 10:00 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
When I was building the Ironman last week, I found it takes recessed brakes. While going through EVERY possible ziploc of odds and sods, looking for the proper nuts, I stumbled across the small collection of crank dust covers. I had been looking for these for more than five years, knowing they were around somewhere.
That is all.
It's amazing what you find when you are looking for something else.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 11-14-21, 10:10 AM
Maohaus

Bikes: Fuji, Colnago, Trek, Raleigh, Motobecane, Araya, Famolare, Elgin

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 38 Posts
Just yesterday I uncovered a shoe box with a bunch of items I salvaged back in the early 80's - Not the least of which was a handful of original TREK brass head badges from the original TREK factory!!
Likes For Maohaus:
Old 11-14-21, 11:41 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 783 Posts
can I hire any of you "lucky stuff finders" to locate all the stuff I KNOW I put someplace, but now...
You'd need to have psychic skills, of course, but could be a nice side-gig.
Old 11-14-21, 07:43 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Finding stuff you forgot you had is good . Buying stuff you need and then finding it when you get home makes the BOC happy .
Likes For markwesti:
Old 11-15-21, 12:30 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426

P1040015 on Flickr
and it looks pretty....I pretty much just recall I have something and search......if I can''t find it, I then think about who I might have helped with a part (still don't remember where the Avocet touring went)

Old 11-15-21, 06:45 AM
SJX426 

Like some, I don't remember every purchase. I use to, including price and location and often from whom.
The lesson learned this last year or so is to check the stash before purchase. I now have more Superbe Pro RDs, last gen, then desired! Now that I have them, it is hard to let go because my options have increased!
Sort of a hoarder mentality, but you never know what might show up or how your perspective or preferences might change.
Old 11-15-21, 08:57 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3171 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,153 Posts
Similarly, I broke down and bought a 1 1/4" spade bit for a woodworking project, after searching for the adjustable bit for over a week.
Old 11-15-21, 06:51 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Somehow found this in a drawer with a bunch of photo stuff. That's where it went!

Old 11-16-21, 01:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
...where the heck did all this Shimano 600 Tricolor stuff come from...

...and that hub... what the heck was that from...

...do nonfunctional wheels breed in dark closets?
Old 11-17-21, 03:42 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
I have a hybrid I am building again for my wife that I had loaned to a young kid. He was into popping wheelies and brinneled the headset. I knew I had a new 1 1\8 headset somewhere. looked for a week for that new headset, no luck. Looking for a bottom bracket piece I found that headset only to find I had already used the fork crown and bottom bearing from it on the previous build. 😫ugh.