Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Transfer season is afoot...

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Transfer season is afoot...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-21, 01:12 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Viviani and Ethan hayter should make a good duo. Considering Owain Doull just went to EF. I remember this year's Tour of suisse? Or some early stage race where ineos had some opportunities to do something potentially interesting with Doull but instead aimed for a top five in GC.

Are sponsors priorities shifting from The Tour GC is above all else or are we seeing fear of Pogacar?
Old 11-03-21, 02:09 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain

Are sponsors priorities shifting from The Tour GC is above all else or are we seeing fear of Pogacar?
I think it's got to be the latter. The total number of eyeballs on the TdF GC probably dwarfs all the other races combined. And the skew towards the TdF works even more for a sponsor that isn't in the cycling industry, If the sponsor is say, Trek, then yeah some of their customers watch the other races, so it's a little different.

Ineos was shifting its towards a more diverse set of events before the rise of Pogacar, so I think it's also that they want to increase their footprint beyond the tour.

But mostly they are trying to figure out how their payroll advantage can slay the Slovenians. You KNOW that what they'd really like to do is to just buy Pogacar himself, but it seems he's not for sale.
Old 11-05-21, 02:22 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
But mostly they are trying to figure out how their payroll advantage can slay the Slovenians. You KNOW that what they'd really like to do is to just buy Pogacar himself, but it seems he's not for sale.
The way UAE is signing talent, I wonder how much longer there will be an Ineos payroll advantage. Or if there still is.
Old 11-05-21, 11:08 AM
GrainBrain

^ It's good to be King ... or prince or whomever's behind bankrolling the team. Same thought with Astana - not the worst way to spend state money I guess.

Craddock now to bike exchange -- AND YOU'RE WELCOME YATES/MATTHEWS. YOU. ARE. WELCOME.

Excited to see if this turns into more opportunities, but a two year contract seems pretty good for 29 yo Lawson. He was doing really well this year, great assist to Magnus Cort for his win.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 11-09-21, 10:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Interesting thing I've never thought about that goes on for those transferring to other teams.

EF Education send termination notice to Sergio Higuita after early bike switch

Apparently he didn't ask permission or those of Team EF actually at the race didn't think it important enough.

Although the article says that it goes on at races with lesser media coverage. I tend to think that it shouldn't go on at all so one doesn't have to rely on a judgment call as to when a race has sufficient media coverage to be important to a sponsor.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-09-21, 11:23 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by Iride01
Interesting thing I've never thought about that goes on for those transferring to other teams.

EF Education send termination notice to Sergio Higuita after early bike switch

Apparently he didn't ask permission or those of Team EF actually at the race didn't think it important enough.

Although the article says that it goes on at races with lesser media coverage. I tend to think that it shouldn't go on at all so one doesn't have to rely on a judgment call as to when a race has sufficient media coverage to be important to a sponsor.
Did you see the video that kicked this off? It's pretty amusing watching Higuita and Daniel Martinez blow by the other recreational riders in the colombian gran fondo.

See twitter video embedded in this link
"The difference between WorldTour and the rest of us cyclists,"
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/11/serg...he-wrong-bike/
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-14-21, 07:49 AM
GrainBrain

^^ It was Rigo's grand fondo you'd think they'd be more aware. Apparently all it takes to be compliant is simply covering up the decals. Craddock got busted too and after seeing Vaughters lamentations about the tour I'm thinking he was just pissy about losing some great riders to other teams.
Old 11-15-21, 04:03 PM
GrainBrain

Mark Padun to EF. There were a lot of eyebrows raised around his performance, can't wait to see how he does next year. So weird that he was left off the Tour roster last year.
Old 11-15-21, 05:08 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Mark Padun to EF. There were a lot of eyebrows raised around his performance, can't wait to see how he does next year. So weird that he was left off the Tour roster last year.
This is what Jack Haig said about his Dauphine and I can't help but see a lot of shade thrown Padun's way:
Yeah, the last two stages were super impressive with what he did there and he was climbing with some of the best. But also the team was maybe a little bit disappointed that he wasn’t quite there in the first couple of stages when Sonny really needed an extra teammate to help bring back the breakaway. He probably could have had the opportunity to win three more stages if the break hadn’t stayed away.
If he saved all his energy to go for individual glory instead of follow team plans, that'd make him less than popular at B-V.
Old 12-02-21, 12:47 PM
MinnMan

So, Cav stays with Lefevre and Quickstep, sans Deceuninck

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/m...avYpectWYpFwX0

He'll win a few races for them, but will they be GT stages? Color me doubtful. Odds are, somebody younger and better will be there and on form.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 12-02-21, 01:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I don't know. Cav only has to get one more stage win at the TdF to be alone in number of stage wins. Then he needs to finish the TdF in order for many of us to not just call his being there just for the gimmick.

I suppose it comes down to how much is that worth to the team and it's sponsors to have someone that has more TdF stages than anyone in the near and foreseeable future will ever have.

And it's not like they couldn't also have their GC person well supported too. Assuming Cav doesn't need a lot of help in the mountains to make the time cuts.
Old 12-02-21, 01:46 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Partly agree. No way that QuickStep won't try to get Cav one more TdF stage win when the record's right there for the taking and they still will have the best leadout train in cycling. Don't think they'll care about whether he can make it to Paris. He likely won't be contending for the green jersey again with WvA and MvdP both supposedly going for it, plus was MvdP's win last year considered a gimmick since he pulled out as soon as the real climbing started? They don't have a serious GC guy for next year's Tour either.
Likes For surak:
Old 12-04-21, 02:14 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't know. Cav only has to get one more stage win at the TdF to be alone in number of stage wins. Then he needs to finish the TdF in order for many of us to not just call his being there just for the gimmick.

I suppose it comes down to how much is that worth to the team and it's sponsors to have someone that has more TdF stages than anyone in the near and foreseeable future will ever have.

And it's not like they couldn't also have their GC person well supported too. Assuming Cav doesn't need a lot of help in the mountains to make the time cuts.

I agree with surak finishing means nothing, absent green which is unlikely.

I dunno that the doors will be so wide open for a spot on the roster just for a shot at #35.

Speaking of which, the first part of getting on that roster was getting on the team. It seems that's finally done, almost, sort of.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mar...vinyl-in-2022/

In semi-related news, it was interesting to see Deceunick's boss take a swipe at Lefevere while jumping ship to Alpecin-Fenix to sponsor a woman's team...
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dec...alpecin-fenix/

...and then see Lefevere jump into the lady pond separately, here.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pat...ent-team-nxtg/
Old 12-06-21, 06:00 AM
Thomas_Faulkner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Partly agree. No way that QuickStep won't try to get Cav one more TdF stage win when the record's right there for the taking and they still will have the best leadout train in cycling. Don't think they'll care about whether he can make it to Paris. He likely won't be contending for the green jersey again with WvA and MvdP both supposedly going for it, plus was MvdP's win last year considered a gimmick since he pulled out as soon as the real climbing started? They don't have a serious GC guy for next year's Tour either.
You just took the words right out of my mouth.