Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Antique store find

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Antique store find

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 09:51 PM
IdahoSpud
Still Wheelies Motorcycle

Bikes: Masi, Novara, Specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Antique store find

We were wandering through downtown Coeur d'Alene today, and I saw these wheels at an antique store, of all places. They were tagged at $22 each. I don't have a bike they will go on (mine have 126 mm spacing), but it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

Now I have sort of an excuse to buy a newer frame, if I can get a grudging go ahead from the Chief Financial Officer.
Likes For IdahoSpud:
Old 03-18-21, 10:31 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Hmm, they could be fairly vintage for straight pull.

$44 the pair is nice and cheap!
Old 03-19-21, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
We used to joke about a friend that bought, at the same time, five new clothes irons because they were such a good deal.
Old 03-19-21, 10:30 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
That store did really well.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-19-21, 10:45 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoSpud
We were wandering through downtown Coeur d'Alene today, and I saw these wheels at an antique store, of all places. They were tagged at $22 each. I don't have a bike they will go on (mine have 126 mm spacing), but it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

Now I have sort of an excuse to buy a newer frame, if I can get a grudging go ahead from the Chief Financial Officer.
nice - however the freehub body splines look pretty chewed up
Old 03-19-21, 05:34 PM
IdahoSpud
Still Wheelies Motorcycle

Bikes: Masi, Novara, Specialized

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
nice - however the freehub body splines look pretty chewed up
Pretty sure that's grease that you're seeing. I will clean them up and have a closer look at the splines though.
Old 03-20-21, 06:29 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
You did well. For the price of 14 Caffe Latte at Starbucks you got yourself a pair of wheels.

It's funny though, if you built a bike with budget finds like your wheels and posted it, you would get praised on how well you did. You wouldn't get comments "like the store did" well or "the cassette is chewed" or whatever criticism spews out of someone's mouth.

What I have learned on Bike Forums is that there always has to be "that guy".

Enjoy your new wheels, you got a deal on them.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 03-20-21, 08:23 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I can't tell from here,are they tubular or clincher rims? I like having extra rims and tires hanging around I just bought s nice set of tubulars and I love them,light, sleek and ride like a dream. Collecting bike parts is all part of cycling in my book,you did well don't let anyone discourage you.
Likes For Mark Dominck:
Old 03-20-21, 09:35 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I think these two links to user comments about these wheels refer to the ones shown here, probably clinchers.
Few highlights - the spokes are inverted and need special wrench, also are said to be straight and so less strong than the classic 'j-mold' or something (would that be because they are length-wise stiffer?). If there is not something wrong with them, rendering them unusable, this is a steal.

User comments 1
User comments 2
Old 03-20-21, 06:58 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
the spokes are inverted and need special wrench, also are said to be straight and so less strong than the classic 'j-mold' or something (would that be because they are length-wise stiffer?)
You have it backwards. IIRC, a round cross section can only take 80% in shear of what it can take in tension; elbows are a weak spot.

But spokes only fail by yielding when the wheel is destroyed in a crash, so it's irrelevant. Spokes fail from fatigue, caused by the cyclic tensioning and detensioning of loaded rolling.

Now consider what happens at the elbow when tension cycles like that - it bends back and forth, which is how you cause a fatigue failure.

Old school types turn up their nose at straight pull and/or low spoke count, but both innovations address fatigue. Besides being a tiny bit more aero and looking cool AF, low spoke count means higher tension, which guarantees no complete detensioning of spokes, vastly reducing fatigue and nipple unwinding. Rims have to be stronger (hello carbon), but since spokes have traditionally operated far below their yield point simply because they need to be thick enough to resist the torsion of tensioning, they don't need to be any bigger to take double the tension; you just need the nipples to be bigger if they're ally.

Shimano's RS20/21/80/81/Dura-Ace 16/20h OCR or 16/21h deep wheel family pretty much establishes a new standard that renders the old 32h J-bend formula comprehensively obsolete, IMO. Straight-pull spokes are a commodity now, there's no shortage of low-spoke count rims to choose from, and wheelbuilding could totally come back and give system wheelsets a run for their money, but where are the Shimano hubs? Shimano's parts support is absolutely woeful (you'll know what I mean if you've ever tried to source a cone for a 10yo hub) - they need to not only step up their game to something acceptable in that regard, including whole spare hubs, but wake up and smell the coffee with their silly old 32h hub range for wheelbuilding, which should include all the Ultegra and Dura-Ace hubs that go into their wheelsets.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 03-21-21, 07:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3139 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 1,031 Posts
I had a pair of those; somewhere around ‘00 vintage, IIRC.
Old 03-22-21, 01:38 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
While my comment may have been flippant it comes simply from experience and looking at the big picture. I have, quite honestly, thrown out piles of similar wheels.

They are narrow. They weren't very well built to begin with. They were really flexy. They were 10 speed.

As for them having some sort of intrinsic value based on the fact that they are round, 700c, and still exist... ugh. I have 3-4 sets of Campy tubular track wheelsets hanging at the shop at the moment. Worth nearly nothing. I pitched a pile of single walled 26" wheels when I moved the business in January. You should be able to find piles of similar wheels available anywhere used up parts are re-sold.

If they have value to you personally then great. You saved some wheels from the trash. Reduce, reuse and recycle and all that.

If you feel you got a great value out of the transaction then kudos.

As a shop - if I had someone come in and pay $44 and save me form having to throw those away...I would have felt like I won the lottery. My original statement stands. If my way of thinking just seems completely weird to some of you then I highly recommend you go down to your local shop and ask if you can look through their garbage parts for your own personal rusty gold. It's all relative.

Old 03-22-21, 09:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I have 3-4 sets of Campy tubular track wheelsets hanging at the shop at the moment. Worth nearly nothing.

As a shop - if I had someone come in and pay $44 and save me form having to throw those away...I would have felt like I won the lottery.
I may not be Ed McMahon but I could be pretty close are they 32 or 36h wheels or the newer Campy Track tubs? If 32 or 36 would take 'em all for $44 buckaroons (or whatever shipping is) I can't make much but I can get them sold and buy some drinkable whiskey with the money.
Old 03-25-21, 12:03 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
You have it backwards. IIRC, a round cross section can only take 80% in shear of what it can take in tension; elbows are a weak spot.

But spokes only fail by yielding when the wheel is destroyed in a crash, so it's irrelevant. Spokes fail from fatigue, caused by the cyclic tensioning and detensioning of loaded rolling.

Now consider what happens at the elbow when tension cycles like that - it bends back and forth, which is how you cause a fatigue failure.
Thanks for the response, makes for an interesting read but it is the 'users' who expressed the concern on the links I provided, that have it backwards, by your reasoning.
What is certain is that these wheels are very custom built, non traditional (till now, I had no idea you can have nipples at the wheel center on hubs), and if they need some more serious work done on them before being able to ride them, maybe they are not worth it. By the time you order special spoke wrench and what not, maybe that's why they ended up in antique store.