Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 09-01-21, 04:40 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 707 Posts
12.5 miles to start the GCC Challenge. Started out at work in Santa Fe Springs, heading north to a Rose Hills near Rio ahondo College. This college has some great incline road leading up to the main campus. Then back down via the San Gabriel bike trail back home.

Last edited by malcala622; 09-01-21 at 05:12 PM.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 09-01-21, 07:22 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
classic. that's my shop. the owner, chuck, and martin (mar-teen) that's usually behind the sales counter do a nice job.
lived a block away next to the ne corner of adams and oregon for 6.5 years. just moved in early june. already miss the
walkability/rideability of that neighborhood but try to ride through every week or so. have only been able to drop off a sixer of ipa
at the shop once since the move. may stop by next tuesday.
Really nice to reward the shop, especially mechanics with gratitude beer !
Shops are really busy and making lots of pandemic $$$ but the mechs will appreciate this kind of reward since they are hourly
Likes For joesch:
Old 09-02-21, 09:52 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by mars2020
Awesome! I have never been to Santa Fe Dam paths. Do you need to pay admission to access the area? Thanks.
Nope. Free access.
Old 09-02-21, 07:26 PM
Erider 

Bikes: Full Dynamix MTB, Electra Lux 7D Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Rode the trails by The Crossings at Carlsbad, Veteran's park loop, then a few miles up and down the coast.
Likes For Erider:
Old 09-04-21, 10:31 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Did a quaint 10 miles today in Glendale at one of the fire roads near my house!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 09-07-21 at 11:06 AM.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-07-21, 09:54 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Saturday - Coffee Ride on my old aluminum Colnago (Storck is waiting for a new rear tire). Easy and steady for the first half. Feeling pretty good until after a max. 45 sec effort on a short hill. The effort left me feeling drained, and I was ejected from the back of the group as things tiled up in the closing miles Very disappointing performance, but not totally surprising since my road miles and intensity has been fairly low recently. (38mi / 1600')

Monday - Dirty singlespeedin' in the heat. With Angeles National Forest on lock-down, the only real option that I can ride to is Cherry Canyon via Hahamonga basin and Flint Canyon. Most of that route is in the shade, which made things fairly pleasant. On the exposed climbs in the Cherry Canyon complex, I took things pretty easy, and stopped a few extra times times. No hurry. I added a new section of twisty singletrack to my usual loop at Cherry, making it more of a figure 8. (16mi / 2000')
Old 09-07-21, 10:58 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Eric F
Monday - Dirty singlespeedin' in the heat. With Angeles National Forest on lock-down, the only real option that I can ride to is Cherry Canyon via Hahamonga basin and Flint Canyon. Most of that route is in the shade, which made things fairly pleasant. On the exposed climbs in the Cherry Canyon complex, I took things pretty easy, and stopped a few extra times times. No hurry. I added a new section of twisty singletrack to my usual loop at Cherry, making it more of a figure 8. (16mi / 2000')
Verdugo Mountain is still open and is close by. I rode the Scholls Canyon fire road. I never see bikes up there, but there's no signs saying otherwise (just no motorized vehicles) and I just presume it has the same open access as the fire roads in Verdugo and the Glendale Sports Complex/Cherry Canyon. I like Scholl's because it has an awesome view end-of-day and it's a nice road hill climb up Glenoaks Blvd. The slopes are steep though and even at my lowest gear (30:36), I still had to walk my bike up on some sections.

Honestly I feel pretty fortunate to live in this area of the city, driving around this long weekend, majority of LA county is just flat! We're lucky to have some elevation!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-07-21, 11:22 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Verdugo Mountain is still open and is close by.
I dislike the Verdugos.
Old 09-07-21, 03:55 PM
carabuser

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know I am riding on opposite side of street, Thank you

Hello SoCal !
Public service announcement 📢
I have had many riders pass by me saying I am
riding in the “wrong” side of the street,
I Know this ! I do this on purpose, I will move out of they way for riders that are riding in the
”right” direction, the last time I did everything
right and proper, I ended up on a helicopter ride to USC Trauma Center, I had a broken shoulder, broken collarbone, punctured lung, and broken ribs, and I was on blood thinners at the time. long story, but it was 100 % the other person’s fault (car) Thank you 🙏
Old 09-07-21, 04:27 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by carabuser
Hello SoCal !
I Know this ! I do this on purpose, I will move out of they way for riders that are riding in the
right and proper, I ended up on a helicopter ride to USC Trauma Center, I had a broken shoulder, broken collarbone, punctured lung, and broken ribs, and I was on blood thinners at the time. long story, but it was 100 % the other person’s fault (car) Thank you 🙏
no thank you for putting the rest of us, along with yourself, in greater danger than already faced on a daily basis when riding. please stick to bike paths. thank you.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-07-21, 04:36 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Hello SoCal !
You are not providing a "public service" by making up your own rules. California Vehicle Code applies to bicycles operating on the streets, also. By law, you are required to ride your bicycle in the same direction as other vehicles.
Old 09-07-21, 04:58 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Hello SoCal !
I'm very sorry you were in a terrible bike accident, but I absolutely hate when bikers are coming at me the wrong direction. That is not an acceptable solution. It is dangerous, illegal, and gives all cyclists a bad reputation. Please stop. If you aren't comfortable biking on the roads legally, please stick to bike paths and off-road trails.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 09-07-21, 05:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
I'm very sorry you were in a terrible bike accident, but I absolutely hate when bikers are coming at me the wrong direction. That is not an acceptable solution. It is dangerous, illegal, and gives all cyclists a bad reputation. Please stop. If you aren't comfortable biking on the roads legally, please stick to bike paths and off-road trails.
All of this ^^^
Old 09-07-21, 05:36 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
All of this ^^^
Just say no to salmoning!
Likes For TGT1:
Old 09-07-21, 05:51 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
I encourage you to visit the Advocacy & Safety sub-forum and do a search on riding against traffic.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/

Hello SoCal !
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-07-21, 06:09 PM
jonathanf2

Hello SoCal !
Sorry to hear about your injury. Though riding the opposite direction can also be dangerous if a car pulls out and doesn't see you. I would stick to bike paths, fire roads and any routes that don't have cars.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-07-21, 07:01 PM
carabuser

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of the response I thought I would get,
One more time, I move out of the way for the
rider coming in the so called “right” direction
I do ride paths most of the time but I ride side streets to get to the paths
Adios another so cal forum goodbye
Old 09-07-21, 07:22 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
When you move out of the way, which way do you move? To your left? That would but bikers coming your direction into a head-on.
Nobody can read your mind which way you are going to move. GET OFF THE ROAD Period. Don't come back to this thread.

Asking moderator to remove carabuser's posts from this thread.

Now.. let's get back on track. I used to ride that road off La Tuna and the 210....but I stopped a number of years ago. It's all out in the open, and I imagine now really crowded. I road up to the Gabrilino Trail by JPL... closed but people were going past the barrier. Then I road over to the Henninger Gate on Pinecrest Dr.... locked of course, but I saw people hiking by the bridge.. there are a couple of ways to get in there. But this is a Federal closure and I fear a stiff citation, although I didn't see any authorities.

Last edited by trailangel; 09-07-21 at 07:39 PM.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 09-07-21, 08:20 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I mean, are you really surprised that people are unhappy with your decision to unilaterally make up your own rules of the road and literally do the opposite of what you are supposed to do and what virtually everybody else is doing? It's completely absurd. Maybe cars should also be able to drive on the wrong side of the road if they are more comfortable with that? Also, the poster above me makes a good point -- which way to you move to avoid on-coming bikes?
Old 09-08-21, 01:19 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

as if someone proudly riding salmon isn't bad enuff, there's this recent vid posted in the lounge forum under the "foo" page.
it's from long beach in either the shoreline dr. area below the aquarium or over by the ballast point brewery/resto next to
seal beach and the sgrt. clearly, plenty of people around and clearly a setup. long beach >< la bike path, sgrt and sart (among others)
generally have a lot less "outside" visibility and exits. let's be careful out there.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-08-21 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-08-21, 01:37 AM
diphthong

did a 15-spot in and around the sdsu area to a bbq place for a really late lunch, cruised lake murray bike path, hit a few
steep grades (but nothing longer than .4 miles) and just generally went slower than usual. was inspired to do much more
this mon/tues but obligations and errands dropped a big no on that. really want to ride in the sequoias in the next few weeks
and that would be a looong day trip. willl hafta do some caltrans/weather/fires/smoke research this coming sunday for mon or tues.
Old 09-08-21, 08:36 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
as if someone proudly riding salmon isn't bad enuff, there's this recent vid posted in the lounge forum under the "foo" page.
it's from long beach in either the shoreline dr. area below the aquarium or over by the ballast point brewery/resto next to
seal beach and the sgrt. clearly, plenty of people around and clearly a setup. long beach >< la bike path, sgrt and sart (among others)
generally have a lot less "outside" visibility and exits. let's be careful out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmpwflXqWec&t=223s
As someone who dealt with attempted muggings while living in the heart of LA, I have no qualms using my entire bike, helmet, cleated shoes or quick release seat post as defensive weapons in order to protect myself. I already ride with the mentality that violence can occur at any moment, be it from a pedestrian or even motorist.

I just rode 20 miles last night entirely in DTLA, so you're spatial awareness needs to be top notch, because you just know who the heck is crazy out there! Definitely everyone stay safe out there!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-08-21, 08:54 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
You cannot pay me enough to ride the LART. A few years back I was run off the trail by a gang of about 40 mini-motorcyclists taking up the whole trail and running cyclists off trail for fear of being hit. Only time I thought I needed to be armed while riding any where. Complete gang mentality looking for someone to call them out so they could murder them. You can have LA.

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
As someone who dealt with attempted muggings while living in the heart of LA, I have no qualms using my entire bike, helmet, cleated shoes or quick release seat post as defensive weapons in order to protect myself. I already ride with the mentality that violence can occur at any moment, be it from a pedestrian or even motorist.

I just rode 20 miles last night entirely in DTLA, so you're spatial awareness needs to be top notch, because you just know who the heck is crazy out there! Definitely everyone stay safe out there!
Old 09-08-21, 10:04 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
You cannot pay me enough to ride the LART. A few years back I was run off the trail by a gang of about 40 mini-motorcyclists taking up the whole trail and running cyclists off trail for fear of being hit. Only time I thought I needed to be armed while riding any where. Complete gang mentality looking for someone to call them out so they could murder them. You can have LA.
LA ain't that bad. I usually ride solo daytime and definitely only in groups at night for safety concerns, but mainly due to lack of visibility. I carry four lights total, and run them day (2) and night (all 4). Plus there are lots of passionate cyclists in the city. My weekly group rolled 100 deep last night and everyone got along. Any mechanical issues and people are ready to help at a moments notice, plus no one gets dropped. In fact I feel the cyclists who ride the city have a greater sense of camaraderie since we're definitely a minority in a car dominated and cyclist-unfriendly city. Also I always plan ahead and avoid areas that might be traffic congested or might not be safe. Plus I find riding with urban cyclists, you develop a keener sense of riding intuition when it comes to navigating traffic and other obstacles. Lastly there are some amazing spots only accessible by bike that most people in LA aren't aware of.
Old 09-08-21, 10:42 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

You're riding unsafely, and in violation of the rules of the road. Yet, you expect that other riders are going to agree with you?? It seems that you've gotten a similar response in other forums. Maybe you should pause for a moment and consider why. I'll help you...re-read my first sentence of this post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.