Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Different Canti Link Wire types

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-21, 01:47 AM
Deetox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I'm looking to buy a new link wire for some BR-MC12 canti's and the cheapest option on Ebay for the size I need looks like this:

Anyone ever used that type? How doe it compare to the usual ones with the round shaped button link? Any noticeable difference in performance/quality?
Old 09-28-21, 09:36 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i've never used those, but functionally they'd be the same as the round/shimano type. can't speak to the quality. performance would depend on the length you get. i think 3.25" is what i use on my canti's of the same design as yours. i like them because you have a lot of adjustment with the post style pads
Old 09-28-21, 09:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Deetox
I'm looking to buy a new link wire for some BR-MC12 canti's and the cheapest option on Ebay for the size I need looks like this:

Anyone ever used that type? How doe it compare to the usual ones with the round shaped button link? Any noticeable difference in performance/quality?
Other then the fact that link wire style hangers suck generally, no. That one will work about the same as any other link wire…i.e. poorly.

I much prefer a straddle cable and hanger.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-28-21, 12:35 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Other then the fact that link wire style hangers suck generally, no. That one will work about the same as any other link wire…i.e. poorly.

I much prefer a straddle cable and hanger.
lol..i know you and some other folks don't like the links, so i'm not writing this to sway you or color the impression you want to make. well, maybe a little on the latter . the only kind of canti brake i've found the links to work well with is the style the OP is using specifically because of the adjustability range of the non threaded post pads. i can get them to stop very well, and set up is relatively easy. i also use salmon kool stop pads, though. ymmv with others. and, of course, link wire length is important
by contrast, i tried many times to get my friend's avid shorty 4's set up with the link wire. always weak and lazy feeling. might be because of the model of brakes, too. i don't know
Old 09-28-21, 02:49 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by thook
lol..i know you and some other folks don't like the links, so i'm not writing this to sway you or color the impression you want to make. well, maybe a little on the latter . the only kind of canti brake i've found the links to work well with is the style the OP is using specifically because of the adjustability range of the non threaded post pads. i can get them to stop very well, and set up is relatively easy. i also use salmon kool stop pads, though. ymmv with others. and, of course, link wire length is important
by contrast, i tried many times to get my friend's avid shorty 4's set up with the link wire. always weak and lazy feeling. might be because of the model of brakes, too. i don't know
One of the biggest problems I have with the link wire is the lack of adjustability. Cantilevers can be very sensitive to the yoke angle (the angle between the anchor bolt, a horizontal line, and the cable hanger. Link wires assume that they have the best angle and they aren’t adjustable. That can lead to the weak brake feeling your friend experiences. With a straddle cable and a hanger, you can more finely tune the brake feel.

I also know that the link wire is supposed to be “safer” since it can slip and catch the tire. However, in 40 years of cantilever use (even to present day), I’ve never had a cable slip and contact the tire.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-28-21, 03:33 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by cyccommute
One of the biggest problems I have with the link wire is the lack of adjustability. Cantilevers can be very sensitive to the yoke angle (the angle between the anchor bolt, a horizontal line, and the cable hanger. Link wires assume that they have the best angle and they aren’t adjustable. That can lead to the weak brake feeling your friend experiences. With a straddle cable and a hanger, you can more finely tune the brake feel.

I also know that the link wire is supposed to be “safer” since it can slip and catch the tire. However, in 40 years of cantilever use (even to present day), I’ve never had a cable slip and contact the tire.
neither have i, and i have a traditional yoke and cable on at least a couple of bikes. i like the link wire's convenience for wheel removal, mostly. as for adjustability, no they aren't...which is why i say they work best (if at all) with the PO's style of cantilever. the non threaded post has a lot of movement to and away from the rim and well as vertical and radial adjustment. this really does make up for any angle corrections you can't make with the link. of course, as it's been pointed out millions of times, getting the right length of link will make a big difference. i tried multiple links on my friend's brakes, but it has the threaded posts. i just don't think they play well together. otoh, and this just occurred to me, rim width may have had something to do with it. he was running narrower rims, as i recall.
Old 09-28-21, 05:02 PM
Deetox

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks guys. Think I might try the other method instead of the link wires and see how it goes. I do have a couple hangers I could use but they're the older style like these. Would those be sufficient? I also don't have any actual straddle cables but I can just use a length of regular brake cable instead correct? If I do go that route exactly how much harder would the wheel removal be?
Old 09-28-21, 05:58 PM
cyccommute 

Thanks guys. Think I might try the other method instead of the link wires and see how it goes. I do have a couple hangers I could use but they're the older style like these. Would those be sufficient? I also don't have any actual straddle cables but I can just use a length of regular brake cable instead correct? If I do go that route exactly how much harder would the wheel removal be?
Those will work. Using a brake cable will work but you don’t have anything to grab so that you can pull them out of the brake. It’s not a huge issue but it can be fiddly.

Old 09-28-21, 07:26 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

those are great for the low profile canti's like you have. there's youtube videos on setting up canti's to get optimum performance with the style you have. also, mike varley at black mountain cycles has a great article. otherwise, of course, there's this place if you have any troubles. i'd also highly recommend kool stop salmon pads and make sure your frame mounting posts are clean moderately greased so the cantilevers pivot freely. i only mention this because it can create lots of mysterious problems getting things to work right even if they're set up well. oh, and do get actual straddle cables. it really does make releasing the brake easier. i have a bike set up without them...just with regular cables. it is definitely fussy. at some point i'll get the real deal

https://blackmtncycles.com/get-the-m...r-canti-brake/

Old 09-28-21, 08:28 PM
Deetox

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Good info thanks. I will definitely need to install some new pads since the ones on there now are very old and hard. I did buy some KS Salmons awhile back so this will give me a chance to try them. I looked into buying some straddles but they're ridiculously expensive in Canada and shipping them from another country isn't cheap either. Think I'll try using some Sugru to mold and attach my own handles to the brake cables and see if that works.
Old 09-28-21, 09:14 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Good info thanks. I will definitely need to install some new pads since the ones on there now are very old and hard. I did buy some KS Salmons awhile back so this will give me a chance to try them. I looked into buying some straddles but they're ridiculously expensive in Canada and shipping them from another country isn't cheap either. Think I'll try using some Sugru to mold and attach my own handles to the brake cables and see if that works.
really? even at a bike shop?
Old 09-28-21, 09:49 PM
Deetox

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yep there's only one shop near me that has them and they want $13 each.
Old 09-29-21, 02:38 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts

Here is link to 5-pack for $13.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321993416516

Old 09-29-21, 04:11 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Oak Bay offers them for 1.99, plus $10 shipping....I don't imagine the shipping cost would change much if you added other small items.
Old 09-29-21, 04:13 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Here is link to 5-pack for $13.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321993416516
Plus $14 for shipping to Canada :-(
Old 09-29-21, 06:42 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
you will see a noticeable increase in braking power with the salmons, KS pads really do work well and is a change that also comes with the bonus of quieterbraking and being easier on the rims.
Old 09-29-21, 07:06 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by John Nolan
wow! sorry to hear that. well, a regular ol' cable without the handy little grip on it as with actual straddle cables isn't that big of a deal. i wouldn't fuss with trying to make a little grip on it. it's more trouble than it's worth. the only time it's really convenient is you're removing the wheel/s frequently. like putting it up on a roof rack or something
Old 09-29-21, 05:18 PM
Deetox

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yeah and that's USD so after conversion the total would be over $36 CDN.

Oak Bay offers them for 1.99, plus $10 shipping....I don't imagine the shipping cost would change much if you added other small items.
$8 shipping actually. Much better but probably still not worth it unless I needed a bunch of them or had no alternative solution. Will bookmark that site for sure though. At least they make an effort to keep their costs reasonable unlike the vast majority of Canadian shops.