Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Surly Ogre Under-Geared

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Surly Ogre Under-Geared

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-21, 03:20 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Short-sizing everything and charging full price for it is the new normal these days. Remember when you could get let's say - a 12 ounce can of soda? Now they will slide in the smaller cans on you, and still charge you the same price. Now you get (in some areas) an 11.5 ounce can, and I bet you are paying the same.

Its no different with bike manufacturers. Think of how much they are saving by giving you a 1x. They only have to pay for the 1x crank. They wont have to swallow the cost of a 2x or 3x crank, along with a front derailleur, cables, and shifter. So 1x are all cool and groovy until you figure out that you are paying more and actually getting less.
The selling point of a 1x has some merit for some off road stuff I guess, especially with the super wide cassettes now and the rear derailleurs that work so well.
For non technical bicycle buyers like my friend, it's the same thing as with friends in the past who bought bikes for touring, marketed as such, but bikes were too highly geared.

changing out your chain ring will be an easy fix, but it certainly helps to be more knowledgeable about bike gearing.

The ogres are still great bikes, and will retain their value, so keep them in good shape and be careful for theft.
their big plus, like the troll, is being able to easily take wide tires. They make great tough touring bikes.
Old 09-27-21, 03:32 PM
djb

With my troll, I set it up specifically for touring heavy in Latin America. where I knew I'd be carrying more crap than ever before, and from traveling there, knowing I'd sometimes be on steep stuff, hence the mountain bike triple.
This is its gearing range. Works great and I can pedal it to a bit over 50kph, which is fine for me.

Last edited by djb; 09-27-21 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-27-21, 03:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Short-sizing everything and charging full price for it is the new normal these days. Remember when you could get let's say - a 12 ounce can of soda? Now they will slide in the smaller cans on you, and still charge you the same price. Now you get (in some areas) an 11.5 ounce can, and I bet you are paying the same.

Its no different with bike manufacturers. Think of how much they are saving by giving you a 1x. They only have to pay for the 1x crank. They wont have to swallow the cost of a 2x or 3x crank, along with a front derailleur, cables, and shifter. So 1x are all cool and groovy until you figure out that you are paying more and actually getting less.
I am sure that is part of it, but i also think a lot of it is style and marketing. In some specific instances 1x12 makes sense, but has limitations as indicated by manufactures trying to do 5x60 cassettes (hyperbole), this happens repeatedly in cycling..... flat bars are great for real mountain biking, but IMHO are not great for anything else compared to drop and north road style bars, but mountain bikes were cool so you bought one and never got it dirt and trails, riding on the road with low gears and slow tires (not related by I predict that far sooner than you would guess the BSO in box stores will be 1x with wireless rear derailler, because it will get of cost to install shifter cables and adjust derailler)

Old 09-28-21, 08:32 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
1X is an advantage in off-road riding as it greatly simplifies shifting. Trying to switch a 3x10 from 32-24 to 22-30 all at once at the bottom of a steep hill is a semi-reliable way to drop your chain and end up walking the hill, in my experience, but switching from the 24t cog to the 42t cog on a 1X is pretty easy.

If I were you, OP, I would get a larger chainring for the 1X setup, and see what is the largest 11-ZZ rear cassette you can manage. Then you will get your 38x11 (or whatever) large gear, but not lose the low gear, which may not be often used, but when you need it, you'll need it.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 09-28-21, 08:55 AM
djb

Higgins, down the road and if you do bike mechanic stuff, you can keep an eye out for a mtb double setup used, but in the end the bikes are what they are, and you have the responsibility of buying them.. I hope the chain ring change makes it better for you.
There are other hybridy type bikes out there with multi cranksets if you aren't happy with doing changes, but the really wide tire thing is probably less common.
Likes For djb:
Old 10-16-21, 07:47 AM
djb

Did it work out and were you able to get a larger ring rings?
Old 05-30-23, 08:13 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Two years later, Shimano offers a single-ring 36T and 38T Zee cranksets, and a 11-51T Deore cogset that mounts on standard hub splines. That's your 1x solution in 2023.
Old 06-04-23, 06:18 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
I think 1x solution would be 36T crankset and 11-36T cassette.
In any case, there are lots of 39T etc cranksets out there. The Stronglight Impact might work (even though this is a 2 year old thread). Then there's a Sturmey Archer 42T model and the new Shimano CUES does come in a 40T single crankset (FC-U4000-1).