Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Old 08-07-21, 03:48 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 215 Posts
After over 11,000km on my front tyre, I was inspecting the tyre and came across this:

Rather than take a chance, I figured after 11,000km the tyre owed me nothing. So I replaced the tyre - a Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR 25mm - with a new Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR only in 28mm this time.

So now I am running a mismatched set of tyres on my BH. A Schwalbe Pro One in 25mm on the rear, and the Corsa on the front. For now my OCD is held in check and I'm not changing to have matching tyres. I will likely ride out the season with this set of tyres, pending any issues.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-08-21, 07:44 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies View Post
After over 11,000km on my front tyre, I was inspecting the tyre and came across this:

Rather than take a chance, I figured after 11,000km the tyre owed me nothing. So I replaced the tyre - a Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR 25mm - with a new Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR only in 28mm this time.

So now I am running a mismatched set of tyres on my BH. A Schwalbe Pro One in 25mm on the rear, and the Corsa on the front. For now my OCD is held in check and I'm not changing to have matching tyres. I will likely ride out the season with this set of tyres, pending any issues.
11k km is amazing! I too am for the first time ever sporting two different tires, gp5000tlr and a Specialized Roubaix TL that I got a great deal on. I live in terror that someone may notice lol!

Not sure what Ill try next but with those numbers that corsa Evo will definitely be on the list!
Old 08-08-21, 08:00 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies View Post

Id say that tyre is perfectly fine still. Living in a place with lots of little sharp flints I would replace my tyres every day, if that was the yard stick. I do pick lodged stones and glass from the thread at regular intervals tho. Helps me not flat and worry less :-)

The tyre is in amazingly pristine condition considering 11.000km.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 08-08-21 at 08:03 AM.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 08-10-21, 09:25 PM
NoWhammies

Racing Dan Yeah, I am agreement with you. The tyre looked amazing for 11,000km. No cords showing. Tyre still holding air. I was impressed/surprised at the amount of mileage on the tyre. But it was my front tyre. And I do a lot of climbing. And thus descending at high speed. In the back of my mind I was worried about the tyre blowing. I consulted with a couple friends of mine and they advised swapping out the tyre so I played it safe. I could still put the tyre on my rear I suppose.

robbyville I've been very impressed with the Veloflex tyres. Mounting can be a bit of challenge (see my description above) but that aside. Once the tyres are mounted they've been great.
Old 09-20-21, 12:14 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 544 Times in 312 Posts
I'm considering swapping out the 32mm GP5Ks with 35mm Pirelli Cinturatos for my rain bike. Is going that wide overkill? I think that the bike in question has tire clearance for them, since there's more of a gap between the fenders and the GP5Ks than what would please my aesthetically.

Besides looks, I'm after better safety, like better grip and braking in wet conditions. As I posted earlier in the thread, the GP5Ks were easy to seat on my Hunt alloy wheels but lose a lot of air overnight and won't stay bead-locked when at low pressure. Schwalbe Pro Ones (first gen, 25mm) that I have on the DT Swiss rims of a different bike have no such air loss issues, but one did require a blast of CO2 to seat. The rear Pro One finally got a puncture that I noticed. It sealed on its own but has me thinking of the eventuality that I'll move the GP5Ks over when the Pro Ones wear out, with the hope that the tire-rim combo retains air better than on the Hunts.
Old 09-20-21, 01:04 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by surak View Post
I'm considering swapping out the 32mm GP5Ks with 35mm Pirelli Cinturatos for my rain bike. Is going that wide overkill? I think that the bike in question has tire clearance for them, since there's more of a gap between the fenders and the GP5Ks than what would please my aesthetically.

Besides looks, I'm after better safety, like better grip and braking in wet conditions. As I posted earlier in the thread, the GP5Ks were easy to seat on my Hunt alloy wheels but lose a lot of air overnight and won't stay bead-locked when at low pressure. Schwalbe Pro Ones (first gen, 25mm) that I have on the DT Swiss rims of a different bike have no such air loss issues, but one did require a blast of CO2 to seat. The rear Pro One finally got a puncture that I noticed. It sealed on its own but has me thinking of the eventuality that I'll move the GP5Ks over when the Pro Ones wear out, with the hope that the tire-rim combo retains air better than on the Hunts.
I think the 32 mm Cinturatos are plenty wide enough for any road riding conditions. My local roads are terrible and these easily cope. They are amazing in the wet too and almost bombproof. I think this is right up there as a contender for best winter tubeless tyre on the market.
Old 09-21-21, 04:56 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 544 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
I think the 32 mm Cinturatos are plenty wide enough for any road riding conditions. My local roads are terrible and these easily cope. They are amazing in the wet too and almost bombproof. I think this is right up there as a contender for best winter tubeless tyre on the market.
Do you think other than weight there be any downside to going bigger with 35mm? I won't be setting any PRs anyway. I kind of like the idea of maxing out the clearance under my rain bike's fenders and riding them at some super low pressure.
Old 09-22-21, 03:01 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by surak View Post
Do you think other than weight there be any downside to going bigger with 35mm? I won't be setting any PRs anyway. I kind of like the idea of maxing out the clearance under my rain bike's fenders and riding them at some super low pressure.
If ride quality is your absolute main priority then 35mm can only be better in that regard. The weight difference (+50g per tyre) wouldn't bother me. I expect they would roll a little slower too, but probably not a huge difference. I just find that the 32 mm Cinturatos are already a very big road tyre, both in width and sidewall depth. My rims are also relatively narrow at 17mm internal and the 32 mm Cinturatos are already bulging out a fair bit at the sides (light bulb profile). If you have slightly wider rims that might make it an easier decision. When I come to replace these tyres I might well go the other way and try the 28 mm version. But mainly because I think they will be a better match for my rim width.
Old 10-18-21, 07:25 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 347 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18183 Post(s)
Liked 6,763 Times in 3,449 Posts
And so ends my season with the Michelin Power Road TLR. Yesterday, at about mile 40 of 70, I took a cut to my front tire - bad enough to boot-n-tube it to get home and prematurely retire the tire (it did have ~5k miles on it, so not that premature). In all, they were pretty damn good and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them if you find a good price on them. They mounted and seated easily, the rolled well, grip was very good, they were pretty comfy (though not quite as supple as the Pro One Addix TLE), and the tread life was decent (I got ~3k miles out of the first rear and still have enough meat on the second that I'll keep it around as a spare).

Today, I swapped over to the Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR intended for next spring... I was gettin' antsy to try them out, anyway. Like the last two tires that I've used, they're up to the latest ETRTO specs, including hookless use (I have Zipp 303Ss) and, like both before tires before them, they went on without fuss; they mounted with bare hands (I've never had to use a lever or bead jack) and seated with just the floor pump - no compressor or charger cannister necessary. Oh, and for msu2001la and other hookless wheel owners, they did stay bead-locked when deflated. Looking forward to riding them tomorrow!
Old 10-18-21, 09:27 PM
NoWhammies

WhyFi Based on your recommendation I picked up a pair of the Michelin Power Road TLR tyres. As it turns out I never did mount them this season. Looks like I'll have to give them a go next year. Good to read your review/comments though.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 10-19-21, 02:27 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
And so ends my season with the Michelin Power Road TLR. Yesterday, at about mile 40 of 70, I took a cut to my front tire - bad enough to boot-n-tube it to get home and prematurely retire the tire (it did have ~5k miles on it, so not that premature). In all, they were pretty damn good and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them if you find a good price on them. They mounted and seated easily, the rolled well, grip was very good, they were pretty comfy (though not quite as supple as the Pro One Addix TLE), and the tread life was decent (I got ~3k miles out of the first rear and still have enough meat on the second that I'll keep it around as a spare).

Today, I swapped over to the Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR intended for next spring... I was gettin' antsy to try them out, anyway. Like the last two tires that I've used, they're up to the latest ETRTO specs, including hookless use (I have Zipp 303Ss) and, like both before tires before them, they went on without fuss; they mounted with bare hands (I've never had to use a lever or bead jack) and seated with just the floor pump - no compressor or charger cannister necessary. Oh, and for msu2001la and other hookless wheel owners, they did stay bead-locked when deflated. Looking forward to riding them tomorrow!
Unfortunately both my Pirelli P-Zero Race TLRs took big cuts after not very much mileage. It's a shame because I really liked the ride feel of them. So I've gone back to running Pirelli Cinturatos, which appear to be far more durable. Their ride feel is not quite as supple, but it's still pretty good and grip is excellent in wet or dry conditions. I will just stick with these for now as I think they will last for a long time.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-19-21, 09:55 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 347 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18183 Post(s)
Liked 6,763 Times in 3,449 Posts
Only a short, 25 mile ride this morning, but first impressions of the P-Zeros TLR:

At the same pressure, they ride a little harsher than the Michelin Power Road (which were a little harsher than the Pro One Addix TLE). It's weird, though - I can't say exactly why, but I get the feeling that the casing is less supple but the compound is softer. Cracks and bumps come across as a muted thump. The slightly higher casing stiffness is something that I noted in-hand yesterday, too, when installing them. In fairness, though, the tires that I just rode two days ago were getting towards EOL, with 5k and 2k miles on the F and R, respectively; with a fair amount of rubber worn away, they were probably more supple than they were out of the box. I'm going to try dropping them a few PSI for the next ride and see how they get on.

Speaking of the compound - Grippy. As. Stink. The Power Roads and Pro Ones never left me wanting, in terms of grip, but these damn things feel like they're glued on to the road.

They seem to roll pretty nicely. If I had to make a WAG, I'd say that they're a hair slower than the PR and PO, but they're certainly not slow.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-19-21, 08:51 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek X-Caliber 8

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Only a short, 25 mile ride this morning, but first impressions of the P-Zeros TLR:

At the same pressure, they ride a little harsher than the Michelin Power Road (which were a little harsher than the Pro One Addix TLE). It's weird, though - I can't say exactly why, but I get the feeling that the casing is less supple but the compound is softer. Cracks and bumps come across as a muted thump. The slightly higher casing stiffness is something that I noted in-hand yesterday, too, when installing them. In fairness, though, the tires that I just rode two days ago were getting towards EOL, with 5k and 2k miles on the F and R, respectively; with a fair amount of rubber worn away, they were probably more supple than they were out of the box. I'm going to try dropping them a few PSI for the next ride and see how they get on.

Speaking of the compound - Grippy. As. Stink. The Power Roads and Pro Ones never left me wanting, in terms of grip, but these damn things feel like they're glued on to the road.

They seem to roll pretty nicely. If I had to make a WAG, I'd say that they're a hair slower than the PR and PO, but they're certainly not slow.
Yep, I found the same with my Pirelli's, they stick to the road quite well in dry and wet. I also dropped my pressure about 3 to 5 lbs in each tire and it is a glorious ride. . I found I really like the 30's better than the 28's, and plan to transfer he 30's from my Pro 3V's to the Bonty Pro 51's when they come in.