Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycle to work scheme - bike not fit

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycle to work scheme - bike not fit

Old 10-18-21, 09:02 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
'Bike to Work' is a UK scheme to enable employees to get a bike for a discount. It involves a salary sacrifice which means, because of the way UK employees pay tax at source, the government will foot a proportion of the bill, which is where the discount comes in. The up front money, though, is provided by a private company (I'm not sure if they have charitable status, but I don't think so), which means that they own the bike until the end of the salary sacrifice period - usually 1 year - at which point the employee can pay a final payment to become the owner. Because of this, the bike can't be sold until the end of the scheme. That's probably a very poor description but it gives you an idea. There are a number of bike to work scheme providers; some are independent, which gives you a range of shops you can buy from, some are run by bike shops like Evans Cycles, meaning you have to purchase through Evans. The company get their money by screwing a discount out of the bike shop - typically 10% I think - which may be why the shop is a bit reluctant to help you.

However, I'd have said that the LBS in this case has acted pretty badly. Having to shorten the seat post is definitely a red flag. I'd be complaining pretty vociferously about the treatment you've received.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 10-18-21, 12:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
'Bike to Work' is a UK scheme to enable employees to get a bike for a discount. It involves a salary sacrifice which means, because of the way UK employees pay tax at source, the government will foot a proportion of the bill, which is where the discount comes in. The up front money, though, is provided by a private company (I'm not sure if they have charitable status, but I don't think so), which means that they own the bike until the end of the salary sacrifice period - usually 1 year - at which point the employee can pay a final payment to become the owner. Because of this, the bike can't be sold until the end of the scheme. That's probably a very poor description but it gives you an idea. There are a number of bike to work scheme providers; some are independent, which gives you a range of shops you can buy from, some are run by bike shops like Evans Cycles, meaning you have to purchase through Evans. The company get their money by screwing a discount out of the bike shop - typically 10% I think - which may be why the shop is a bit reluctant to help you.

However, I'd have said that the LBS in this case has acted pretty badly. Having to shorten the seat post is definitely a red flag. I'd be complaining pretty vociferously about the treatment you've received.

Who would you be complaining to that might actually get results? It's got to be someone with some clout over the bike shop.
Old 10-18-21, 06:32 PM
Funkywheels63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hello, I just looked up how many inches 163cm is, and it comes to 64 inches. I'm either 5' 3" or 5' 6" depending on if I have shoes on or not. I just recently acquired a bike on craiglist which is 19". had to lower the seat all the way down. when I get ready to get on, I tilt the bike towards the right, put my left foot on the pedal, and off I go. when I stop, I have my left foot on the pedal all the way down, coasting at this point. Just before I come to a complete stop, I tilt the bike to my right, and put my right foot on the ground. I've been practicing also to swing my left leg over the seat when dismounting, but this is a little harder, since my leg just barely clears the seat. hope this helps.
Old 10-19-21, 01:39 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Who would you be complaining to that might actually get results? It's got to be someone with some clout over the bike shop.
I'd be inclined to go to the employer. If they feel that their employee has been poorly dealt with they have the ability to move to a different scheme.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 10-19-21, 01:16 PM
Jac41721

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Hi US cyclists,
Sorry I didn't realize this is a US based forum. In my anger, I was going all crazy.
I have crossed posted to the UK group and have made peace with being sold a bike that is definitely not the right size, and understanding my rights.

You all have helped me come out of my darkness.

Might one day I will cycle across the Atlantic and ride on US

Happy Riding everyone!
Likes For Jac41721:
Old 10-19-21, 01:20 PM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Hahaha glad you're "in a better place"....grin. I'd be mad as hell too but as you know, experience isn't free. Hope you use your new found knowledge to help others!

P.S..... some of us are Canadians, eh!
Old 10-19-21, 01:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Jac41721

Well did you get any relief for your situation. Or are you stuck with a bike that you shouldn't have been told fit you?
Old 10-19-21, 09:15 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Chickenwings
Hahaha glad you're "in a better place"....grin. I'd be mad as hell too but as you know, experience isn't free. Hope you use your new found knowledge to help others!

P.S..... some of us are Canadians, eh!
Colour me shocked!
Old 10-19-21, 10:15 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Jac41721
Hi US cyclists,
Sorry I didn't realize this is a US based forum. In my anger, I was going all crazy.
I have crossed posted to the UK group and have made peace with being sold a bike that is definitely not the right size, and understanding my rights.

Happy Riding everyone!
I hope you get some resolution. If you got your bike through your employer’s program and you work for a big company you could see if the company can help you since it seems they technically own the bike and you just ‘hire’ it. Sometimes a letter from one corporate attorney to another can shake things loose.
Old 10-20-21, 05:49 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
What did the bike retailer tell you when you took the bike back in and told them that it was too big. You can even show them the Trek site which has you as requiring a small? The cycle scheme complicates things slightly, but the bike shop was still paid for the bike and issues would lay with them.
For a correctly sized bike, you should just be able to stand over the bike, and your legs should be straight at the bottom of the pedal movement.

If it's essentially unused (in that you test rode it and then haven't used it since discovering it was too small) then they should be able to just take it back and swap it for a smaller one. I'm curious as to why they thought it was better to cut the seat post than sell you a small, though.

If they play difficult, then contact the cycle scheme who are the owners of the bike and get them to do something about it since you were missold.
Old 10-20-21, 07:14 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
The up front money, though, is provided by a private company (I'm not sure if they have charitable status, but I don't think so), which means that they own the bike until the end of the salary sacrifice period - usually 1 year - at which point the employee can pay a final payment to become the owner.
If this is the case, would contacting this company and saying "take 'your' bike off my hands" be a possibility? Or would that be a case of "we'll take the bike but then you're going to be without one and we won't replace it"?
Old 10-20-21, 07:21 AM
jgwilliams

Originally Posted by Kat12
If this is the case, would contacting this company and saying "take 'your' bike off my hands" be a possibility? Or would that be a case of "we'll take the bike but then you're going to be without one and we won't replace it"?
Good question. I honestly wouldn't know. I did buy a bike on CycleScheme a few years back, but since I never had any cause to complain the issue never arose.
Old 10-20-21, 07:25 AM
jgwilliams

Hi US cyclists,

Happy Riding everyone!
We aren't all across the pond!

Just think, though. If you ride this bike for a year and then get one that fits you better, it will feel amazing! And, probably, quicker.
Old 10-20-21, 09:53 AM
Jac41721

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Might be I can do a cross country from UK to US and to Canada to showcase the bike, might make a great publicity. If you see one sitting on a weird too low saddle on a too big frame, it's me! Please give enough room for me to stop/fall though. lol

Seriously, no, I have decided I didn't want to lose any sleep or time over this anymore after a week of back and forth with the you know who.

The bike retailer basically played their best customer service tactics to play me around. First customer service asked me to go to shop and shop asked me to go to CS and then claiming the 28 days policy, and then said I have accepted the goods when I collected it and then said the modifications (seatpost cut) has been done so can't take it back. From review website, the bike retailer has a bad reputation (unfortunately they are the chosen one by the scheme). I really felt they know how to play this game on customer complaint.

I am fairly new so don't want to bother my company at the moment. So will keep my head down for now.

But don't worry, I am sure I will find a right size bike and happy riding!
Old 10-20-21, 10:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Well you aren't helping others that will use this bike retailer. Hopefully what you experienced is only a small number of people that do business there.
Old 10-20-21, 11:13 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Hi US cyclists,
This forum has members from around the world. Mostly English speaking participants, but even some who struggle with the language. But, perhaps 9 out of 10 members are in the USA.

I've heard about the cycle to work scheme. Essentially a tax-free loan to buy the bike.

First I'd go back to the bike shop and see if they can come up with some suggestions. Surely they could do a trade-in without messing up the scheme.

One problem is essentially global delays on purchasing new bikes. So, trading the Medium for a Small, you could get thrown onto a year long waiting list.

As mentioned above, talk to the program administrators. If you only work with a HR coordinator with a small company, perhaps that person could direct you to a more regional person one or two levels up, either in your company, or in the government.

Issues of trading bikes have to have come up sometime in the past.

There are still bikes showing up on the used market. That may not work with the Cycle to Work scheme, but could be a way to get around the global stock shortage problems.
Old 10-20-21, 11:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Might be I can do a cross country from UK to US and to Canada to showcase the bike, might make a great publicity. If you see one sitting on a weird too low saddle on a too big frame, it's me! Please give enough room for me to stop/fall though. lol

Seriously, no, I have decided I didn't want to lose any sleep or time over this anymore after a week of back and forth with the you know who.

The bike retailer basically played their best customer service tactics to play me around. First customer service asked me to go to shop and shop asked me to go to CS and then claiming the 28 days policy, and then said I have accepted the goods when I collected it and then said the modifications (seatpost cut) has been done so can't take it back. From review website, the bike retailer has a bad reputation (unfortunately they are the chosen one by the scheme). I really felt they know how to play this game on customer complaint.

I am fairly new so don't want to bother my company at the moment. So will keep my head down for now.

But don't worry, I am sure I will find a right size bike and happy riding!

Post a bad review?
Old 10-20-21, 01:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Call me up for that cross-Atlantic ride .... I want to video it. And I will call for rescue as well.

Old 10-21-21, 03:43 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
Who is the bike company? I'm guessing Evans (who are basically Sports Direct)?

Have you spoken to the cycle scheme about it yet? They own the bike and so it's kind of their problem. The bike shop may also play better with them because they don't want to lose the referral.
Old 10-21-21, 09:33 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
The bike store is completely at fault, not you.

Meanwhile, if you are stuck with this bike: Coming up to a stop: Keep one foot on a pedal, lean the bike slightly to the other side, and set the other foot on the ground. That will give you more stand over clearance. (This method is not always workable for emergency stops, where there's no time to react.)
Likes For rm -rf: