Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Have road and gravel bikes...should I sell one?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Should I sell?
Keep both bikes....n+1!
69.39%
Sell the Lynskey since most riding is on the road
14.29%
Sell the Roubaix because the Lynskey can to road/gravel
16.33%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Have road and gravel bikes...should I sell one?

Old 10-21-21, 10:37 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Only a spouse says "too many bikes."
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 10-21-21, 03:32 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Keep both bikes! If you’re not hurting for money, having the backup will be worth more to you than whatever cash you’d get.

If you had 5 or 6 bikes with a lot if overlap and an overcrowded garage, I’d say you should get rid of at least one. Two bikes is never excessive.

The only other situation where I’d vote for selling is when you never ride one of the bikes, and you need some cool new wheels or something for the other one, with no funds available.

In your case, I doubt you’ll ever regret keeping two. If you sell one, there’s a good chance you’ll come to regret it.

Last edited by Broctoon; 10-22-21 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-21-21, 04:08 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I would probably wait a while and see if you get interested in doing some gravel rides. At the end of the day, I don't understand owning a bike (or car or motorcyle) to look at. If you don't find yourself using it in a few months, pass it on to someone that will enjoy it.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 10-22-21, 03:48 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I can think of ample reasons to keep both. I can think of no good reason to sell one unless it’s to replace it with a higher end model.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 10-22-21, 08:36 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
My only bike was a gravel bike and I wanted some thinner tires. So, I bought new wheels and tires, and a new bike to put them on. One thought is, it's not bad to have a second bike. It's rare that people on BF talk about maybe having too many bikes, and even rarer when you only have two.
Likes For Random11:
Old 10-25-21, 12:10 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Never sell or give away a bike unless it will be replaced by a new bike.
Likes For bikejrff:
Old 10-25-21, 01:56 PM
Dvdvija

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankTuna
This year, I built up a Lynskey GR300 with GRX Di2 that was supposed to be my 1 bike to rule them all. I broke a shifter right before my A event, and with parts availability being what it was, I either had to buy another bike or skip the event. I don't have any cycling buddies my height otherwise I maybe could have borrowed a bike. I bought a Specialized Roubaix Expert and I'm absolutely in love with it.

The Lynskey is more versatile, but realistically I've only tried a handful of gravel events but it was primarily used on the road. The Roubaix is more comfy and rides more easily (subjective, I know) on the road than the Lynskey with road tires. I like the idea of riding more gravel, but it hasn't really worked out that way.

I'm thinking about selling one of these bikes. I don't need the money, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to recoup some. Hopefully with the used market being what it is I wouldn't totally lose my shirt. Any thoughts?
I would definitely keep both bikes. Always good to have a backup in case you need to do major tune up on primary bike.
Likes For Dvdvija:
Old 10-25-21, 10:03 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
The Lynskey broke immediately and could do nothing -- this is the opposite of a do-everything bike. It may be helpful to jettison this idea of what your bike was supposed to be and then reconsider your situation.
Old 10-26-21, 01:50 AM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
+1 for keeping both FrankTuna my gr270 (same slack angles / geo) makes for an ideal "easy day" / gravel / winter rider. Clearances for fat, supple rubber (not to mention fenders) at 25-30psi add to its versatility, and floating over crappy roads or feeling super stable when descending (thanks to the long trail) never gets old after a few hard training days on my race bike..
Likes For ctak:
Old 10-26-21, 04:30 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I've heard kaleche riding is the next big thing. You need to keep both bikes. One can become the kaleche bike.
Old 10-26-21, 04:32 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm for N+1, but only when N equals 1.

I have a Domane road bike that can do 32mm tires and sometimes is pitched as an all road bike, but the wheels and everything else are sturdy enough for me to do much gravel with that expensive bike.

The other bike is a Jamis Renegade with a 1x drive train that I use for anything not on road, for light 3-5 day touring and for rides with my wife.

When 1 bike is in the shop, I can ride the other.

When N was greater than 1 for me, it was more like I was collecting bikes than needed them all.
Old 10-26-21, 09:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I had a "Road" bike.
I got a"Gravel" bike.
I sold the Road bike.

9 years later.....

I never miss the road bike.

Any frame that won't clear 35s is now dead to me.
Old 10-26-21, 12:02 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
I'll choose my 20-lb gravel ti build with 50mm rubber ~80% of the time ... basically whenever I'm not in the mood for speed and/or trying to set climbing, tempo or other types of PRs on decent tarmac. I do sort of admire folks who are content with a single bike (not to assume you have only one... just saying). Not there yet...

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I had a "Road" bike.
I got a"Gravel" bike.
I sold the Road bike.

9 years later.....

I never miss the road bike.

Any frame that won't clear 35s is now dead to me.
Old 10-26-21, 12:40 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
I'll choose my 20-lb gravel ti build with 50mm rubber ~80% of the time ... basically whenever I'm not in the mood for speed and/or trying to set climbing, tempo or other types of PRs on decent tarmac. I do sort of admire folks who are content with a single bike (not to assume you have only one... just saying). Not there yet...
Well, I do have 4 bikes, but only one Road/Gravel bike. I run 38mm tires (RH Barlow Pass Extralights) for everything considered a "road" that one would drive a car on. I also have a commuter/utility bike, a rigid fat bike, and a FS MTB.
Old 10-27-21, 03:06 PM
sabele

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by franktuna
this year, i built up a lynskey gr300 with grx di2 that was supposed to be my 1 bike to rule them all. I broke a shifter right before my a event, and with parts availability being what it was, i either had to buy another bike or skip the event. I don't have any cycling buddies my height otherwise i maybe could have borrowed a bike. I bought a specialized roubaix expert and i'm absolutely in love with it.

The lynskey is more versatile, but realistically i've only tried a handful of gravel events but it was primarily used on the road. The roubaix is more comfy and rides more easily (subjective, i know) on the road than the lynskey with road tires. I like the idea of riding more gravel, but it hasn't really worked out that way.

I'm thinking about selling one of these bikes. I don't need the money, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to recoup some. Hopefully with the used market being what it is i wouldn't totally lose my shirt. Any thoughts?

i am the wrong one to ask as i have 18 bikes. Can never. Part with them. Naturally i say keep them both and use them both. I use my cx bikes mostly for winter riding or in the woods.
Likes For sabele:
Old 10-28-21, 02:15 PM
bike eagle
On The Road Again

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
To the OP, how tall are you? Just curious, because I have a hard time finding things that fit and I’m only 6’2”.
Likes For bike eagle:
Old 10-28-21, 02:19 PM
FrankTuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bike eagle
To the OP, how tall are you? Just curious, because I have a hard time finding things that fit and I’m only 6’2”.
I'm 6'5"...I've generally had good luck with XL/61cm frames. When I bought my Roubaix, they had a Tarmac, Roubaix and Diverge all in 61 cm in the show room. I almost passed out from sheer disbelief!
Likes For FrankTuna:
Old 11-02-21, 10:22 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Gravel bikes tend to get beaten up more due to the nature of the terrain. I would keep both so that I could ride gravel (and use it in the rain) and keep the road bike pristine.

my $0.02
Old 11-02-21, 03:06 PM
Lkdog

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hate gravel.
Old 11-03-21, 08:16 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.