Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should I go with 700x28 or 700x32 for my 2016 Tarmac?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Should I go with 700x28 or 700x32 for my 2016 Tarmac?

Old 03-29-20, 08:48 AM
  #26  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4692 Post(s)
Liked 1,834 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by jdishner View Post
Good advice, thank you. Loving the 28mm GP5ks.
Tubed or tubeless?
noodle soup is offline  
Old 03-29-20, 08:58 AM
  #27  
jdishner
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Camden, Maine
Posts: 56

Bikes: Schwin Paramount XL, 2016 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Tubed or tubeless?

Tubed.
jdishner is offline  
Old 03-30-20, 06:57 AM
  #28  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: VA
Posts: 1,405

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked 770 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by jdishner View Post
Thank you so much, I took your advice and ordered GP5000s in 28mm. Rode on them for the first time in the morning, they were amazing. Handled the rough pavement exceptionally well, almost shocking. Didn't have to worry about every little break, crack, loose gravel on the road, and bump. Didn't throw me around on the descents either.
Glad to hear it!
Rides4Beer is offline  
Old 04-03-20, 06:57 PM
  #29  
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars
 
sfrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Gatorskins are fine on glass roads. But ride them on chipseal or worse and it's like dragging an anchor.

GP5000TL's in 28mm work like a charm for me.
sfrider is offline  
Old 04-04-20, 09:36 AM
  #30  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 8,839

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91, '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3517 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,468 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider View Post
Gatorskins are fine on glass roads. But ride them on chipseal or worse and it's like dragging an anchor.

GP5000TL's in 28mm work like a charm for me.
Even the Continental Ultra Sports, the older version, were terrible riding compared to the Rubino Pro's or GP 5000's I have on my bikes now. Just something you won't know till you try. Perhaps only someone that rides frequently enough to be "in touch" with the road they are riding on will be able to tell. But I sure could tell a difference.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 10-19-21, 11:52 AM
  #31  
ride_2_fast
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdishner View Post
Thank you so much, I took your advice and ordered GP5000s in 28mm. Rode on them for the first time in the morning, they were amazing. Handled the rough pavement exceptionally well, almost shocking. Didn't have to worry about every little break, crack, loose gravel on the road, and bump. Didn't throw me around on the descents either.
Hi, I am in similar boat. But have 2011 Tarmac SL and currently have on 23mm tires and want to go to 28mm.
Would you mind measuring the gap between chainstays in the place where the tires is closest to the frame?
I wonder if 2011 Tarmac SL had narrower gap there than the 2016 Tarmac.....
I measured 31mm on my bike. and with that I think 28mm tire might be too big, even if the tire is exactly 28mm, not a bit more..

thanks

Last edited by ride_2_fast; 10-19-21 at 11:58 AM.
ride_2_fast is offline  
Old 10-20-21, 01:59 AM
  #32  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 1,058

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by ride_2_fast View Post
I measured 31mm on my bike. and with that I think 28mm tire might be too big, even if the tire is exactly 28mm, not a bit more.
General rule of thumb is at least 3mm of clearance all around, so that would mean 25 or 26 measured when mounted. I'd be more concerned fitting a tire larger than 25mm through the brakes assuming they are also 2011 vintage.
Badger6 is offline  
Old 10-20-21, 01:28 PM
  #33  
ride_2_fast
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
General rule of thumb is at least 3mm of clearance all around, so that would mean 25 or 26 measured when mounted. I'd be more concerned fitting a tire larger than 25mm through the brakes assuming they are also 2011 vintage.
Thanks appreciate the advice, even though I feel that is very conservative gap. Given how much space I have to play with, I would be happy with 2mm each side.... as normally you do not have to deal with wobble on road tires as much as MTB.
Trying to see if

VITTORIA CORSA CONTROL G2.0 TUBULAR 700x28 would fit or I have to go with 25s (install on Zipp Firecrest 404)


Yes, there is also the brakes, I have TRPs and they have the flip lever that gives extra 1-2 mm clearance to install tires + adjustment contact screw..... wiling to use both for the occasional wheel install.... would be worth it..
ride_2_fast is offline  
Old 10-20-21, 01:40 PM
  #34  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 36,418

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 347 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18206 Post(s)
Liked 6,781 Times in 3,456 Posts
Originally Posted by ride_2_fast View Post
Thanks appreciate the advice, even though I feel that is very conservative gap. Given how much space I have to play with, I would be happy with 2mm each side.... as normally you do not have to deal with wobble on road tires as much as MTB.
Trying to see if

VITTORIA CORSA CONTROL G2.0 TUBULAR 700x28 would fit or I have to go with 25s (install on Zipp Firecrest 404)


Yes, there is also the brakes, I have TRPs and they have the flip lever that gives extra 1-2 mm clearance to install tires + adjustment contact screw..... wiling to use both for the occasional wheel install.... would be worth it..
The gap is also there for debris clearance and wheel flex; I wouldn't run 2mm clearance, but you do you.

For tubulars, how much does the rim influence width? I would imagine that it's very, very little, if at all.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-20-21, 01:57 PM
  #35  
SpedFast
Just Pedaling
 
SpedFast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
My Vittoria Randonuers in 28 actually measure 31 on clincher rims with tubes. Measured with a micrometer.
SpedFast is offline  
Old 10-20-21, 02:47 PM
  #36  
ride_2_fast
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
The gap is also there for debris clearance and wheel flex; I wouldn't run 2mm clearance, but you do you.

For tubulars, how much does the rim influence width? I would imagine that it's very, very little, if at all.
Totally agree with the debris. Wheel Flex of course, that would be the major factor I was accounting for.
I just put on some other tires/ clinchers Michelin Pro course 700x25 which actually measure 26.4 mm on the clincher rim.... just for the optics to see how close to frame... this I think is OK... but getting really close....about 2.5mm on each side...

Elsewhere I have read the

VITTORIA CORSA CONTROL G2.0 TUBULAR 700x28 measured 27.3mm


Will sleep on it, ride some more the clinchers which are 26.4mm before making decision for either the 25mm or 28mm tubulars... thanks everyone for all the insight.
ride_2_fast is offline  
Old 10-20-21, 03:00 PM
  #37  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,432

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2773 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,183 Posts
I have a 2016 Tarmac. 28mm seems extremely tight to me. They might clear, but any dirt or sand that adheres to the tire is going to scour the insides of the chainstays. I'd go with nicer 25mm rather than risk it.
caloso is offline  
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-20-21, 07:16 PM
  #38  
SpedFast
Just Pedaling
 
SpedFast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I kept my 25's for spares, but after riding on 28's I know they'll never go back on the bike. What a world of diff.
SpedFast is offline  
Old 10-22-21, 12:12 AM
  #39  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 1,058

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by ride_2_fast View Post
Thanks appreciate the advice, even though I feel that is very conservative gap.
This is like saying "With all due respect." If you didn't want our advice, you shouldn't have asked for it. Also, 3mm is not a conservative gap...the industry generally recommends 3-5 mm per contact point (seat tube, brake calipers, seat stays, chain stays, fork, fork crown, etc.), not total. Good luck running 1-1.5mm clearances.
Badger6 is offline  
Likes For Badger6:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.