Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Starting a mechanic business...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-21, 01:31 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Bikes: Kuwahara Caravan, Specialized Stumpjumper S Works

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

Hello all!

I've been working off and on for a couple of decades on my own fleet of bikes and I find I really enjoy the work. I would consider my skills knowledgeable amateur mechanic level. I'm thinking of starting up a small bike stall in my neighbourhood to service the area code I'm in. I'm not accepting payment but am requesting that donations of any amount be sent to a volunteer run bike shop in Toronto, Ontario, Canada named bikeSauce. They do their best to help people get their bikes on the road and charge little to no money for their assistance. You can work on your own bike there using one of their many stands. I like what they do and want to support them. I would volunteer there but they are so far away from where I live. I'm looking for any words of wisdom from The Collective on whether this is a good idea or not. I have a workstand and lots of tools from over the years and would like to get some more experience working on all kinds of bikes. I'm also looking to connect with fellow cyclists in the neighbourhood.

Thoughts?
Old 05-19-21, 02:12 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Sorry to be a downer...
Cost of Liability Insurance?
Old 05-19-21, 02:30 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I think, in theory; it's a good idea. In reality, you could be bringing some troubles to yourself. You can get people to sign waivers, but in many cases, if someone that signed a waiver wants to take you to court for what ever reason, the waiver does not mean a whole. Maybe contact a couple of co-ops via email, text or phone, and ask them there thoughts on it. Personally, I like working on my own bikes, I would not want to be working on bikes that belong to others, except family and good friends. That leaves me with almost no one that would want me to work on their bikes. My closest family is 900 miles away, and only a few of my friends are cyclists. I had a neighbor stop by a couple of weeks ago and asked me if I could take a look at his bike. I walked over to his house, took a look and told him I could not help him. The very low quality bike is ready to be thrown in the trash.
Old 05-19-21, 03:19 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You are absolutely going to need insurance. You're going to have to invest in at least some consumables...tubes, cables, housing, chains, brake pads or you'll have to order every time you take in a job.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-19-21, 03:48 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
First he is Canadian and for the most part we don't sue like our neighbours to the south so liability insurance for the work he wants to do is overkill.

For community work like you are describing you will be fine with some of the bare minimums of things like tubes and cables. For specialty parts you can have the owners purchase them and bring them to you as needed.

Helping others with your knowledge and time are worthy causes. I wish you luck.

I don't know which part of the city you are in but have you checked out Bike Pirates? They might be able to use your services if you decide to not go the community route.

Every year some people come to my condo building and over their services for bike repairs as a pay what you can (lots of families in my building) and it is a big hit around here. You might think of using that model in around your neighbourhood.

Last edited by blakcloud; 05-19-21 at 03:51 PM.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 05-19-21, 07:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You are absolutely going to need insurance. You're going to have to invest in at least some consumables...tubes, cables, housing, chains, brake pads or you'll have to order every time you take in a job.
I can't imagine doing any reasonable volume of repairs without having a QBP account.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-20-21, 02:40 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
The liability insurance is to protect yourself when something happens that is clearly your fault. Unless you are superhuman and do not make mistakes, insurance is needed to cover those times when your good neighbor that does not bring suite for the most part, does indeed bring suite for your error.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-20-21, 03:58 AM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Originally Posted by blakcloud
First he is Canadian and for the most part we don't sue like our neighbours to the south so liability insurance for the work he wants to do is overkill.

For community work like you are describing you will be fine with some of the bare minimums of things like tubes and cables. For specialty parts you can have the owners purchase them and bring them to you as needed.

Helping others with your knowledge and time are worthy causes. I wish you luck.

I don't know which part of the city you are in but have you checked out Bike Pirates? They might be able to use your services if you decide to not go the community route.

Every year some people come to my condo building and over their services for bike repairs as a pay what you can (lots of families in my building) and it is a big hit around here. You might think of using that model in around your neighbourhood.
You get it... Its a community service more than a business, although it could lead into a business if things go very well. I have heard of Bike Pirates and will now do some research as you recommended checking them out. I live in a three building complex and the idea is to put posters up in the building common areas to help drum up some interest. There's also some common bike areas in the basement that I could put the posters up around but I want to do things according to the building rules. I hope one day to work in the complex so getting on their good side is the goal.

Thanks for your positivity in this. I'm not wanting to go the bike liability route and get insurance mainly due to the main reason that I loathe insurance in principal. I suppose if it comes to a point where I consider it a business I'll rethink this as is necessary. Also, as you pointed out, its Canada and we don't normally sue when things go wrong.

Community service is the goal and gaining experience is the priority. I will veto any bike that really needs to be replaced and suggest that if the bike is brought to me. I don't plan on offering any parts for sale...I'm suggesting that we discuss the parts required and the bicycle owner purchases them if we can agree upon the necessity.

I guess I'm aiming for a bike shop feel without the price gouging of some of them. I live in Pickering and the bike shops out here kind of suck.

Chrisp
Old 05-20-21, 07:23 AM
blakcloud

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The liability insurance is to protect yourself when something happens that is clearly your fault. Unless you are superhuman and do not make mistakes, insurance is needed to cover those times when your good neighbor that does not bring suite for the most part, does indeed bring suite for your error.
Again you are missing the details. This is Canada, we don't sue. It's why we don't have lawyers on every corner. Second the clientele he will be dealing with won't even have the money to sue even it was open to them. Lawyers aren't free and the Upper Canada Law Society has strict rules for the use of you don't win you don't pay style of arrangements. Again our model is not YOUR model. Last people don't sue when they know they can't collect. If someone is working for free in community centers how much money do you think they have? You can't take blood from a stone.

Legal-Aid our fee legal service would not take such a case as it isn't in their mandate.
Old 05-20-21, 07:34 AM
blakcloud

Originally Posted by Chrisp72
You get it... Its a community service more than a business, although it could lead into a business if things go very well. snipped
I guess I'm aiming for a bike shop feel without the price gouging of some of them. I live in Pickering and the bike shops out here kind of suck.

Chrisp
I am liking this more and more. In communities such as Pickering, they are under served in many services since it is close to Toronto. Trying to find resources for those in need as been problematic for the work I do in the corrections system and this is just a microcosm of bigger issues. Teaming up with the buildings in your neighbourhood is a great idea. At some point you could even apply for community grants. Companies such as Air Canada, Canadian Tire and other government organizations to help fund this endeavor but for now just start small and see how much you like it. Look into Park Tool as they have community grants but not sure if they support Canada. There is a need that will be a given.

Many years ago a guy set up a tent on the corner of Spadina and Bloor and called his company "Dave Fix MY Bike". You would drop it off on your way to work and he would fix it in time for your ride home. He eventually moved to his own shop on Bathurst, don't know if he still there are not but I liked his model. The difference of course it was premised based on a money making venture which is different than yours.

Again good luck and I hope that this works out for you and the communities that you serve.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 05-20-21, 09:40 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisp72
Hello all!

I've been working off and on for a couple of decades on my own fleet of bikes and I find I really enjoy the work. I would consider my skills knowledgeable amateur mechanic level. I'm thinking of starting up a small bike stall in my neighbourhood to service the area code I'm in. I'm not accepting payment but am requesting that donations of any amount be sent to a volunteer run bike shop in Toronto, Ontario, Canada named bikeSauce. They do their best to help people get their bikes on the road and charge little to no money for their assistance. You can work on your own bike there using one of their many stands. I like what they do and want to support them. I would volunteer there but they are so far away from where I live. I'm looking for any words of wisdom from The Collective on whether this is a good idea or not. I have a workstand and lots of tools from over the years and would like to get some more experience working on all kinds of bikes. I'm also looking to connect with fellow cyclists in the neighbourhood.

Thoughts?
Well good luck - I think it's a very laudable impulse to want to help people out without a profit motive. Personally, while I like working on my own bikes, and I'll happily help out on a mate's bike if s/he wants to bring it around and make use of my tools, I wouldn't be interested in working on a stranger's bike - if I screw up my own work, that's on me; if my mate screws up their bike with my tools, that's on them - they'll get a sympathetic shoulder, a beer and some hopefully useful advice to fix the problem - but I don't want to be responsible for someone else's stuff. As with others, my first thought when I read your initial post was "liability". I think a blanket statement that "we're Canadian - we don't sue" is a bit naive. I would've once said the same thing about my home country (Ireland), but that's in the past - we've caught the litigation disease. If you have courts and lawyers in your country, you're open to being sued. If you own a house, a car or pretty much any other assets, you have stuff to lose. If some guy breaks his neck because you screwed up his brake repair, do you really think it's going to be "no harm, no foul, eh?" from his quadriplegic bed? This is the benefit of working within a larger entity - they usually cover your liability.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-21-21, 05:34 AM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Originally Posted by Litespud
Well good luck - I think it's a very laudable impulse to want to help people out without a profit motive. Personally, while I like working on my own bikes, and I'll happily help out on a mate's bike if s/he wants to bring it around and make use of my tools, I wouldn't be interested in working on a stranger's bike - if I screw up my own work, that's on me; if my mate screws up their bike with my tools, that's on them - they'll get a sympathetic shoulder, a beer and some hopefully useful advice to fix the problem - but I don't want to be responsible for someone else's stuff. As with others, my first thought when I read your initial post was "liability". I think a blanket statement that "we're Canadian - we don't sue" is a bit naive. I would've once said the same thing about my home country (Ireland), but that's in the past - we've caught the litigation disease. If you have courts and lawyers in your country, you're open to being sued. If you own a house, a car or pretty much any other assets, you have stuff to lose. If some guy breaks his neck because you screwed up his brake repair, do you really think it's going to be "no harm, no foul, eh?" from his quadriplegic bed? This is the benefit of working within a larger entity - they usually cover your liability.

Hi Litespud!

You bring up a good point about liability and getting sued. I don't own much but that wouldn't excuse hurting someone if my work isn't up to snuff...I don't want to injure anyone through neglect. Maybe I'll just provide the tools and experience and let them work on their own bicycles...that way if anything negative happens I'm off the hook...hopefully. I'll heed your advice though and will try to see how things develop...I've reached out to non profit bike sources for any advice they may offer. Thank you so much for pointing things out and I still want to move forward with this but will do so with some more thought.
Old 05-21-21, 11:24 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
You might have even more impact if you're willing to travel to the needy, like a doctor who makes housecalls. A lot of the people whom you can impact the most might never get up the motivation to come see you. Just speculating. Good luck, you're doing God's Bikework.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 05-21-21, 05:49 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Travelling may be the next step if things go well and people appreciate things. I only have a small hatchback but I'm sure I could fit everything I need into it. So far I've had on donation to bikeSauce which is great! I helped out a couple with some used wheels that I wasn't using. They made the first donation and I wasn't even trying to work on their bikes...
Old 05-25-21, 08:21 AM
xlbs
xlbs

Bikes: True North TI, Miyata 1000LT, Rodriguez tandem, Fontan vintage road, Sekine vintage road, Catrike recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
QBP is prohibitively expensive for Canadians. Try Babac out of Montreal for parts. They generally will open an account for COD on orders. If you need a parts supply otherwise you will face some obstacles since most suppliers want a retail address and you don't have one.

Canadians do sue--just ask a few older bicycle stores--but are much less likely to do so if they are working on their own bicycles under supervision.

Do continue your quest, and maintain a good working relationship with your local bike shops, even though you may not like their style much. They will help you within reason when you face challenges.

Send me a pm if you wish. I live only a few km from you. I have over 45 years of wrenching experience, including 20 years in the business as an employee and LBS.

Keep up the good work.
Old 05-25-21, 10:00 AM
Numerozero

Bikes: Downtube 8FH w/ TSD-Z2 motor; Xootr Swift w/DualDrive ; Downtube MiniB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I can't imagine doing any reasonable volume of repairs without having a QBP account.
Good luck with getting a QBP account in Canada. Unless one has a retail storefront or a van with signage, AFAIK, no major Canadian wholesaler (Live To Play, HLC, Orange Sport Supply, QBP) will open an account.

I volunteer at a local bike co-op. Chatted with a fellow volunteer one day - he had incorporated, got a Provincial Sales Tax as well as a Goods and Services Tax Number, and a business licence - then applied for wholesale accounts. They all turned him down.

The reason given was that the industry is moving towards vertically-integrated bike stores (Giant / Trek / Specialized) and mobile services (VeloFix, etc) so the wholesalers are trying to support LBS by only granting accounts to those with either a storefront or, at minimum, a van with signage.

So how do I run a one-person bike shop? By buying online. Amazon delivers most thing in 2 days, $25 minimum order.
Old 05-26-21, 08:36 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by xlbs
QBP is prohibitively expensive for Canadians. Try Babac out of Montreal for parts. They generally will open an account for COD on orders. If you need a parts supply otherwise you will face some obstacles since most suppliers want a retail address and you don't have one.

Canadians do sue--just ask a few older bicycle stores--but are much less likely to do so if they are working on their own bicycles under supervision.

Do continue your quest, and maintain a good working relationship with your local bike shops, even though you may not like their style much. They will help you within reason when you face challenges.

Send me a pm if you wish. I live only a few km from you. I have over 45 years of wrenching experience, including 20 years in the business as an employee and LBS.

Keep up the good work.

ive gotten bulk supplies through Amazon for my personal projects. Cables in multiples of 20; rolls of housing, cheap bar tape, even tubes
Old 05-26-21, 09:05 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Memo from the FWIW Dept.: Small businesses that do not carry liability insurance do not get sued nearly as often as those that do carry it. Much easier to sue and get a settlement from an insurance company than it is from an individual business owner. Without insurance to aim at there is often nothing to attach or really gain from a lawsuit.

It's a nice, legal Catch-22

Ignore the fear mongering over this issue and do your thing.
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel:
Old 05-27-21, 07:55 AM
canadian deacon

Bikes: Ratty ol' fixed gear and a 2013 Kona Dew Deluxe (SS conversion)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Another idea would be to start (or help start) a co-op where people with bikes could come to get assistance in doing repairs themselves. That would give you an opportunity to wrench with some fellow enthusiasts, help others who need some assistance and do so without worrying too much about the liability aspect.

Perhaps the local police force would consider donating bikes that were stolen and then unclaimed to be used for parts or repair. Tools could be shared and signed out if they are to be used within the confines of the co-op space. A small fee ($5 or $10) from each member could go toward the purchase of tools.

My $0.02.
Old 05-27-21, 09:54 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
There seems to be a lot of concern over the liability. I don't know the legal environment in Canada but it seems like the whole concept of risk management is different there compared to the U.S.A. If there is concern about some of the risks, one thing that might reduce that risk is to start off only offering some of the more basic maintenance services for which you have a high level of confidence in. Maybe start there and refer more complex maintenance to a LBS and see how it goes. If the volume of work you get increases enough over time, maybe you start thinking about more complex repairs. It seems like there wouldn't be all that much risk in the basic maintenance and tune up type of services like flat repair, chain replacement, lubrication, etc. If someone in my neighborhood asked me to help them with a flat tire or to adjust a derailleur or install a bike light, I would just do without any thought of the risk.
Old 02-09-22, 10:00 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
+1
Old 02-10-22, 12:33 AM
blurcovenky

Bikes: 2006 Surly LHT / 2003 Look KG 461 / 1993 Novara Corsa / Trek 4300 / Handsome Devil / Cannondale ST 600

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 20 Posts
I'm curious too.
Old 02-10-22, 09:52 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Again you are missing the details. This is Canada, we don't sue.
You guys are no fun!!!!
Old 09-17-22, 10:43 AM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
The other thing to consider ( at least from my US experience) is to create the business as an LLC. Limited liability means that litigants can only make claims up to the value of the business, they can’t touch your house or personal assets.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 04-08-24, 04:10 PM
wilas

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
What did you end up doing? How is your business going? I'm interested because I'm thinking about starting a business and it would be great to find out other people's experiences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.