Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for a small simple hand pump?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 11:41 AM
John Bramson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I have a Surly CC and need a mini pump for longer rides, but the popular ones I've seen mentioned (like the Topeak Morph pump) wouldn't fit the simple look I'm going for. I understand the basic premise of function over style so no need to waste your time giving me a lecture on it, I'm just curious if anyone has any recommendations. I would post a picture of the bike, but I believe I'm still under the 10 post rule as I really just lurk here thanks for any recommendations!

EDIT: hit the 10 post mark so here's a pic of the ride

Last edited by John Bramson; 05-22-21 at 03:16 PM.
Likes For John Bramson:
Old 05-22-21, 11:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
You can still upload a pic to your user gallery and then tell us it's there. Or just write the URL to it in your message and then remove the https:// and put a blank space on both side of the . (dot).

Mini pump as in one for just topping off those 32mm or bigger tires?
Old 05-22-21, 11:48 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
For small size, the Topeak RaceRocket is pretty nice. Just be prepared to do a lot of pumping, because it's tiny:

If you want to use CO₂ for speed inflation as well as hand pumping, the HybridRocket looks pretty good:

Old 05-22-21, 11:56 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Google Lezyne Road Drive to see if it suits your need. I am considering it or a similar Bontrager pump but my lbs didn't have it in stock.

Old 05-22-21, 01:37 PM
John Bramson

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Mini pump as in one for just topping off those 32mm or bigger tires?
Yep, its actually a 28, but I'll probably switch out my Conti gator skins to marathon + 32's
Old 05-22-21, 01:38 PM
John Bramson

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've seen the Lezyne Road Drive but the branding all over it is annoying.
Old 05-22-21, 02:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
One of the more unique pumps is the Specialized AirTool Dual Air.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164068744585

I think they've been discontinued, so they are where you find them.
Not the most compact, but it has a couple of useful features.

Presta/Schrader head (on the newer models), so no need to keep pulling the gasket every time you need to switch.
Handy patch kit (or bandaid) compartment in the handle.

Looking at the Specialized lineup, they have a few sleeker designs that would be worth considering, but I do like the patch kit option.
Old 05-22-21, 02:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Topeak Road Morph but I want to keep riding sooner rather than pumping for a long time with those tiny pumps. If I had to go small I guess the Race Rocket HP is a fine one and one I do occasionally take out with me if I also have CO2 and inflator.
Old 05-22-21, 03:02 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The most recent pump I've purchased is a Lezyne HP Drive, and I'm quite happy with it. Whatever you get, I strongly recommend the kind of pump that comes with the little hose, rather than the conventional chuck. The reason is that the flexibility of the hose will be much more gentle on your valve stems, and like it or not, stem leaks are a known failure mode of tubes. It's hard to guess from threads about the topic whether it's a design flaw or user error, but I think the hose makes the problem less likely. The hose fits inside the pump, so it doesn't add bulk.

Also, in addition to the mini pump, I assume you have a good floor pump for at home.

Because it's so small, the "look" of the Lezyne is immaterial, since it fits inside my sag bag.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 05-22-21, 03:36 PM
John Bramson

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The most recent pump I've purchased is a Lezyne HP Drive, and I'm quite happy with it. Whatever you get, I strongly recommend the kind of pump that comes with the little hose, rather than the conventional chuck. The reason is that the flexibility of the hose will be much more gentle on your valve stems, and like it or not, stem leaks are a known failure mode of tubes. It's hard to guess from threads about the topic whether it's a design flaw or user error, but I think the hose makes the problem less likely. The hose fits inside the pump, so it doesn't add bulk.

Also, in addition to the mini pump, I assume you have a good floor pump for at home.

Because it's so small, the "look" of the Lezyne is immaterial, since it fits inside my sag bag.
I've been looking at the Lezyne lite drive per your recommendation to look over Lezyne products and I must admit I do like it. The branding is annoying, but I think I've reached the point of being too picky. I also think it will look good on my bike in the silver color.
Old 05-22-21, 03:41 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by John Bramson
I've been looking at the Lezyne lite drive per your recommendation to look over Lezyne products and I must admit I do like it. The branding is annoying, but I think I've reached the point of being too picky. I also think it will look good on my bike in the silver color.
It looks like it is available in silver with less conspicuous branding (laser etched?).

You could paint or steel wool the barrel if you wish.
Old 05-22-21, 03:50 PM
John Bramson

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
It looks like it is available in silver with less conspicuous branding (laser etched?).

You could paint or steel wool the barrel if you wish.
I might try to steel wool it if I get it, or just roll some duck tape over the branding for emergencies. I was also looking at the road drive vs. the lite drive and couldn't find any information on bike forums. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with both, or even knows the differences?
Old 05-22-21, 04:01 PM
CliffordK

From the specs,the Road and Lite look very similar.

Lite appears to only be listed in small/medium, and is slightly lighter than Road which comes in small/medium/large.

Lite lists a Presta/Schrader hose.
Road lists ONLY Presta hose.

I've gotten a fair amount of use with a Schrader head, both from helping people stuck beside the road, as well as my trailer.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-22-21, 04:33 PM
Gresp15C

I have the silver one, and from a few feet away, the branding is barely visible.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 05-22-21, 05:22 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I might try to steel wool it if I get it, or just roll some duck tape over the branding for emergencies. I was also looking at the road drive vs. the lite drive and couldn't find any information on bike forums. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with both, or even knows the differences?
Are you putting the pump in your pocket or on the bike? If you use the water bottle holder bracket and have on the bike, it's an obviously simple affair to turn the logos into the frame so you wont see them.

FWIW, I just got the Lezyne Grip Drive in size small. Works as I imagined. Sucks to have to keep pumping past about 65 psi.

EDIT: What "emergency" demands that branding be invisible?
Old 05-22-21, 05:34 PM
Gresp15C

It's a Surly. Smear some mud on the branding. Problem solved.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 05-22-21, 05:52 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
When my last pump fell apart on the road (never did find all the pieces) I got me one of these. It works great, the price is right, and the mounting is such that it snugs up to your water bottle. It also has a pin in the lower handle part that fits into the mount so you can't lose half of it on the road. Presta only, if that's a problem, but the color matches your bike.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292334271418
Old 05-22-21, 06:10 PM
John Bramson

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Are you putting the pump in your pocket or on the bike? If you use the water bottle holder bracket and have on the bike, it's an obviously simple affair to turn the logos into the frame so you wont see them.

FWIW, I just got the Lezyne Grip Drive in size small. Works as I imagined. Sucks to have to keep pumping past about 65 psi.

EDIT: What "emergency" demands that branding be invisible?
Sorry if my wording was unclear, I meant I'd have the duck tape for emergencies not needing the branding covered
Old 05-22-21, 06:11 PM
John Bramson

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
When my last pump fell apart on the road (never did find all the pieces) I got me one of these. It works great, the price is right, and the mounting is such that it snugs up to your water bottle. It also has a pin in the lower handle part that fits into the mount so you can't lose half of it on the road. Presta only, if that's a problem, but the color matches your bike.
I'll keep that it mind, thanks!
Old 05-22-21, 06:12 PM
John Bramson

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
It's a Surly. Smear some mud on the branding. Problem solved.
Ahhh, but she's one pretty Surly
Likes For John Bramson:
Old 05-22-21, 06:18 PM
CliffordK

According to the ad, that is one of the ones were you take apart the head and reverse the guts to transform between presta and schrader.

You may actually have to stop for some of those people dead beside the trail!!!

Once you take the screw on part off, gently open/close the lock to help push the parts out.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-22-21, 06:21 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
At that price, you could carry one for each tire!
Likes For kahn:
Old 05-22-21, 08:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
You were so worried about aesthetics and hated the idea of function and now you want to put duct tape on it? I swear some people...

Get the Topeak Road Morph, it is a good pump that works well and is easy to use when you get a flat you won't give two turds about the branding or the size but you will thank me when it is just a little easier to pump those tires.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-22-21, 09:31 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Here is the best I've had. >>> https://www.primeauvelo.com/en_ca/mi...EaAqlgEALw_wcB

It's a mini floor pump with a hose. The ONLY kind to get IMO. It takes about 110 strokes to fill a 36 mm from empty.
The ones you TRY holding still in the air are all pathetic. Lucky if you get the tire half full. And very TIRING. There may be times when you need to refill FAST and roll until the slow leak empties again.
Old 05-22-21, 09:58 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Lezyne Pocket Pump...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.