Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Pacemaker

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-21, 04:14 PM
marcpotash
mmpotash

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pacemaker

Does a pacemaker interfere with a chest heart rate strap?
Old 10-16-21, 06:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
The internet says sometimes. It appears that most people think it's safe for the pacemaker though.

Have you experienced problems? I am thinking about moving to my garmin watch. It's not as accurate, but I am tired of messing with the straps.
Old 10-18-21, 09:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I'd be more concerned if the heart rate strap interfered with the pace maker. But since the strap is passive in nature, I'd expect that answer to be a big NO.

Is your pacemaker firing off continuously? Then maybe. So what? If you get wonky reading on your HR then do what I do. Ignore them.
Old 10-18-21, 04:32 PM
marcpotash
mmpotash

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I is actually my friend who had the heart valve replacement and a pacemaker installed. He rode for the first time post surgery and his HR monitor wasn't working. He ordered a new strap.
Old 10-26-21, 10:14 PM
mriley
mriley

Bikes: vintage Schwinn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
pacemaker and cycling

Your heart monitor is the least of the problems. Pacemakers barely respond to road cycling. By "respond" I mean elevate your heart rate in response to exercise. Pacemakers have a 3 axis accelerometer which responds well to walking and running, but the pacemaker thinks you are sitting at home when riding smoothly on the road. I cannot get my heart rate over 90, no matter how steep the hill. This makes cycling difficult. I am quite disappointed. (Pacemaker is a Medtronic micra.)