Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Check your onions...

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Check your onions...

Old 10-21-21, 08:47 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11114 Post(s)
Liked 3,092 Times in 2,122 Posts
Check your onions...

Salmonella outbreak in 37 states linked to onions, CDC says

Onions salmonella outbreak spread to 37 states

According to the CDC, Texas has the most cases in the ongoing outbreak with 158, followed by Oklahoma with 98 cases. Virginia has 59 cases, Maryland 58, Illinois 37, Wisconsin 25, Minnesota 23 and Missouri has 21 cases.

Other states with cases have 14 or fewer cases are: Kansas, North Carolina, Arkansas, Massachusetts, New York, Tennessee, California, Kentucky, Michigan, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Louisiana, New Jersey, Connecticut, North Dakota, Alabama, Iowa, South Carolina, Utah, Georgia, Mississippi, Oregon, Colorado, Indiana and West Virginia.

"Throw away any whole red, white, or yellow onions you have at home that do not have a sticker or packaging," the CDC said, noting some may have packaging indicating ProSource as the brand and that they were grown in Mexico. "If you can’t tell where the onions are from, don’t buy or eat them."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/10/21/onion-salmonella-outbreak-cdc-prosource/
Old 10-21-21, 09:21 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 233 Posts
Thank you for the heads up. We normally use the "sweet" or Vidalia onions here. I have one I am about to huck now. No point getting sick over an onion.
Old 10-21-21, 02:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14208 Post(s)
Liked 7,358 Times in 3,711 Posts
I often cook with loose onions. Last week I had some digestive distress a day or after making scrambled eggs with red onion. Hmmm?
Old 10-21-21, 02:49 PM
genec
genec

Yeah I use onions all the time... All mine are good. Y'all check yours now.

Onions impart a bit of umami, so are a good thing when saute'd.

I remember when doing a long bike tour of Baja, how a couple of cyclists always mentioned "cebolla" when we went into stores... always had an onion around for added flavor of whatever canned or packaged food was being heated in camp.
Likes For genec:
Old 10-21-21, 04:58 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 5207 Post(s)
Liked 1,971 Times in 1,166 Posts
Thanks. My onions are good.

I suppose if one were to thoroughly hot cook with them it would be OK - as long as treated like meat and all surfaces cleaned. But not worth it.
Old 10-21-21, 05:28 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 108 Posts
Good to know-- will be sure to check this weekend in case we are giving any with the food pantry.
Old 10-22-21, 01:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 4328 Post(s)
Liked 2,318 Times in 1,497 Posts
Recently I've been cooking all my onions, mostly white or yellow, with mushrooms to go with steak. Probably safe enough thoroughly cooked.

I'm still more worried about most hamburger. And Blue Bell ice cream.
Old 10-22-21, 01:39 AM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked 2,337 Times in 1,271 Posts
Ever eaten an onion like an apple? Yum!
Old 10-22-21, 03:32 AM
genec
genec

I'm not sure you "cook" salmonella away.

Maybe you can...
Salmonella are destroyed at cooking temperatures above 150 degrees F. The major causes of salmonellosis are contamination of cooked foods and insufficient cooking. Contamination of cooked foods occurs from contact with surfaces or utensils that were not properly washed after use with raw products.
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...ood-poisoning/
Old 10-22-21, 04:39 AM
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked 1,606 Times in 885 Posts
"don't tell me what to do. too much gubberment intervention in my life already. my onions, my life."
Old 10-22-21, 05:20 AM
J.Higgins 
Covid Hermit

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 434 Posts
In my cellar is a storage room. I've insulated it to the point that its very much like a yeti cooler. It maintains about 60F in the summer, and <50F in the winter. I have a commercial-quality dehumidifier in there as well. Very cool, and very clean/safe place for foods. We keep all of our canned goods, root vegetables, and grains in there. We also have a huge freezer and a spare fridge in there. When you walk in, you can instantly tell when there is a bad onion, or more to the point - an onion going bad. So when I smell it, I check it. I'll grab the onion basket and start checking them out. If you smell the root-end of each bulb, you can get a pretty good indication of the state of "ripeness". Any good onion just smells clean and oniony. Any bad onion hits your nose with a blast of funkiness like what you'd get if you had to sleep in the same tent with 3alarmer after he had been touring all week without a shower.
Old 10-22-21, 07:08 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
In my cellar is a storage room. I've insulated it to the point that its very much like a yeti cooler. It maintains about 60F in the summer, and <50F in the winter. I have a commercial-quality dehumidifier in there as well. Very cool, and very clean/safe place for foods. We keep all of our canned goods, root vegetables, and grains in there. We also have a huge freezer and a spare fridge in there. When you walk in, you can instantly tell when there is a bad onion, or more to the point - an onion going bad. So when I smell it, I check it. I'll grab the onion basket and start checking them out. If you smell the root-end of each bulb, you can get a pretty good indication of the state of "ripeness". Any good onion just smells clean and oniony. Any bad onion hits your nose with a blast of funkiness like what you'd get if you had to sleep in the same tent with 3alarmer after he had been touring all week without a shower.
Not sure you could detect samonella that way.

Speaking of "ripeness" and beyond. Back in the late '70s I had rented a small apartment with a tiny kitchen... so small it had a slide out stove. Well within a couple weeks there was a certain "funkiness" in the kitchen I just could not find... And it was getting worse. Finally, on my hands and knees searching deep into the back of all the lower cabinets... I found the culprit. A lone potato, in the dark, way in the back, rapidly becoming some sort of biological experiment. That is a smell you don't forget.
Likes For genec:
Old 10-22-21, 11:30 AM
J.Higgins 
Covid Hermit

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post

Speaking of "ripeness" and beyond. Back in the late '70s I had rented a small apartment with a tiny kitchen... so small it had a slide out stove. Well within a couple weeks there was a certain "funkiness" in the kitchen I just could not find... And it was getting worse. Finally, on my hands and knees searching deep into the back of all the lower cabinets... I found the culprit. A lone potato, in the dark, way in the back, rapidly becoming some sort of biological experiment. That is a smell you don't forget.
Seriously. There is nothing quite as stench-worthy (stench-tastic?) as a rotten potato!

No, I definitely can't tell if an onion has salmonella, but I wonder if a dog could be trained to smell it?
Old 10-22-21, 12:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 15941 Post(s)
Liked 7,564 Times in 4,213 Posts
I keep wanting the title to be some kind of euphemism.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-22-21, 02:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 1,374 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I keep wanting the title to be some kind of euphemism.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-23-21, 08:40 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
Seriously. There is nothing quite as stench-worthy (stench-tastic?) as a rotten potato!

No, I definitely can't tell if an onion has salmonella, but I wonder if a dog donkey could be trained to smell it?
fixed

Likes For skijor:
Old 10-24-21, 07:31 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 424 Posts
I just removed a net of onions that had partly turned fluid from the cupboard yesterday. I like funk very much but this smelled far too funky.

Anyway, I always remove the outer skirt of the onion and throw it away because I've understood that's where salmonella collects. Never checked whether this is true, but salmonella in onions is not new for me.
Old 10-24-21, 09:49 AM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post

O...M...G no, you don't. It's a smell you experience once in your life, and forever after, you can detect a potato that is even THINKING about starting to go bad anywhere you go.

(The potatoes we got for the food pantry once were on the, um, elderly side. We had to sort through I-don't-even-know-how-many bags of potatoes to throw out all the bad ones. Thank heaven we were outside. We were all trying really hard not to get any of that rotten potato juice on our clothes, trust me. It was awful.

All of the bad ones went into the church's dumpster. It was a hot time of year. Trash pickup day wasn't for at least three days. I thought of becoming Catholic solely in order to have a mass said for the poor garbage guys. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they threw up. Maybe we should've left a sign warning them.)
Old 10-24-21, 08:18 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,604 Posts
I keep onions around to scare off the vampires.