Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Damage to carbon fork

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Damage to carbon fork

Old 10-21-21, 09:42 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Damage to carbon fork

Looking at this 2005 cannondale r700 for sale - wondering what y'all think of this visible damage to the carbon fork - just paint chips or possible carbon damage? I know its hard to tell from pics. he's asking $775, which I think is pretty high. Was thinking more like $350-400?
Old 10-21-21, 09:55 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
$1200 msrp 16 years ago.

Old 10-21-21, 10:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
The bicycle blue book shows a $200 value estimate for this bike in "good" condition. I suspect the seller has pandemic expectations guiding him Andy
Old 10-21-21, 09:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
My pre-owned 2014 (or so) Diamondback Podium has worse chips than that in the same place, probably from leaning and scraping along a concrete or brick retaining wall at an MUP or other stop. Four or five similar size and depth chips. It doesn't appear to be deeper than the paint. I've ridden it for a year, 2,000 miles, no problems. I did stop and check it often at first just to be sure. No signs of worsening.

No idea about a reasonable price. I've never paid more than around $200 for any bike or frame. But I pass on a lot of bikes that are probably reasonably priced, but I'm too cheap to buy 'em and would rather wait to see if the bikes are still lingering on craigslist, etc, later before deciding whether to offer a lower price. Usually the bikes are gone so other buyers must have considered the prices reasonable, or they haggled in person.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-21-21, 10:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
I should have included in my 1st reply a note about the fork's condition. From a mere virtual inspection (I looked at the photo) it seems to me that the two spots are paint and top "finishing" layer chips and not structural fiber damage. But this is the interweb and you should believe all you read. Andy
Old 10-22-21, 12:16 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Corrosion visible on the brakes in that photo, wonder what the rest of the bike is like? Remember it's an old bike, can you get spares for the components if any are needed, like brake hoods? (yes only 16 years old, but that's a very long time in cycling).
Old 10-23-21, 07:26 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
(yes only 16 years old, but that's a very long time in cycling).
That is a spring chicken over on the C&V Forum. My newest is an '04.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 10-23-21, 01:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Bugs me when people let paint get on their outlet covers and the outlet themselves. And why isn't the slot on that outlet cover screw vertical? <grin>
Old 10-23-21, 05:04 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Fork looks fine from pictures. Assuming rest of the bike is in good condition, see if you can talk the seller down to $500. $775 feels high, but it's a seller's market currently.
Old 10-24-21, 08:13 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Fork looks fine from pictures. Assuming rest of the bike is in good condition, see if you can talk the seller down to $500. $775 feels high, but it's a seller's market currently.
I think the sellers market started drying up about 8 months ago around here.
I’ve got 2 bikes for sale - a complete rebuild of a classic Specialized Hard Rock for $600 (after putting $685 into it) and my ‘74 Raleigh Super Tourer with a mix of new and original Huret parts for $500, and I haven’t gotten takers on either since I put them up in June.

I’d pay maybe $400 for this bike - but just wanted to get some opinions on possible exploding fork.
Old 10-25-21, 11:26 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Bugs me when people let paint get on their outlet covers and the outlet themselves. And why isn't the slot on that outlet cover screw vertical? <grin>
I know one electrician that puts all his plate screws at a specific angle both as a signature and as guide to see if anyone did DIY to his work