Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2x11 Gravel Bikes... why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-18, 11:38 AM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
One thing missed in all the arguments about gearing is that the body adapts.

When I went to a relatively wide(er) range 11-36 cassette I was hunting for the right gear. At that time I agreed with those who say that not having a tightly spaced gears is serious drawback. Then I rode more, got stronger and what used to be a huge space between gears doesn't seem as big now.

I'll bet that all the people who think 1x has little value would become much stronger if forced to use it for a year. It will suck at first but after a while, if you ride it enough and on tough courses, it will be no big deal.

Take that to the extreme and go ride the ultimate 1x - a fixed gear bike. Your body will adapt.

-Tim-
Completely agree.

It's one thing to design gear ratios for an engine, as it has known torque curve at all RPMs. It will never change. However, the human body will have varying levels of output and efficiency, depending on how you feel and how rested you are. Some days no gear feels right to me and other days all gears feel great.

I went from 3x to 2x and at first missed the triple. After a few weeks I realized that the granny gear is pretty much useless in flat Chicago area.
Old 04-20-18, 05:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
You get stronger by pushing the wrong gear.
Originally Posted by RJM
That's not true. Pushing a high gear at a low cadence isn't strength training; strength training happens in the gym and not on the bike. I don't know any coach who would advocate doing 50 reps in a minute for a strength training session.
I know this was 2 days ago which is forever in internet time. But it hit me, out of the blue, while I wasn't even thinking about this.

How much torque do your leg muscles have to produce:
  1. Grinding up a hill at 45 rpm because of the gear you're in?
  2. Squatting with 200+ lbs on your back, which takes ~3 seconds per rep?
I've been lifting heavy all winter. I'm faster on the bike. I'm faster on skis. I ran for the first time since last June and was 5 seconds behind the fastest mile I've ever ran. Over-gearing never gave me noticeable results, and the peak forces involved are why.
Old 04-20-18, 08:22 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Skip the 200 lbs, and just Squat, come part way up, go back down then come up. Do it 10x.... I double dare you. lol
Old 04-22-18, 02:35 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I know this was 2 days ago which is forever in internet time. But it hit me, out of the blue, while I wasn't even thinking about this.

How much torque do your leg muscles have to produce:
  1. Grinding up a hill at 45 rpm because of the gear you're in?
  2. Squatting with 200+ lbs on your back, which takes ~3 seconds per rep?
I've been lifting heavy all winter. I'm faster on the bike. I'm faster on skis. I ran for the first time since last June and was 5 seconds behind the fastest mile I've ever ran. Over-gearing never gave me noticeable results, and the peak forces involved are why.
I'm a believer that most people would benefit from lifting more than they want to admit, even endurance people.

But fast running is usually so specific, I'm kinda curious what your times(with current age and PR age) were.