Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling shorts

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-21, 07:23 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So basically you are a British person telling me that things in New Hampshire are the same as they are in Britain?! Road bicycling (and that has been what I'm talking about) is much more of a niche activity here. I get harassed by drivers in some places because they think bicycles aren't supposed to be on roads.

Honestly, I have very little idea how bicycles are marketed and sold in Britain, but I suspect it's quite a bit different here.
Sounds much like here. Cycling as a hobby is still a pretty niche activity. Most people just have some old bike that they might wheel out once or twice in the summer. Most kids have a bike, so not many newbies over the age of 5. Then there are a few keen cyclists who have all the gear and ride regularly. There are local cycling clubs too, but they are pretty small and niche. There is a bit of amateur racing in the background, again very niche. I would imagine bicycles are marketed and sold exactly as they are in New Hampshire. There are a few bike shops around and a few larger online retailers. There is no major bike marketing activity (like prime-time TV ads), just the odd magazine.
Old 06-09-21, 07:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Sounds much like here. Cycling as a hobby is still a pretty niche activity. Most people just have some old bike that they might wheel out once or twice in the summer. Most kids have a bike, so not many newbies over the age of 5. Then there are a few keen cyclists who have all the gear and ride regularly. There are local cycling clubs too, but they are pretty small and niche. There is a bit of amateur racing in the background, again very niche. I would imagine bicycles are marketed and sold exactly as they are in New Hampshire. There are a few bike shops around and a few larger online retailers. There is no major bike marketing activity (like prime-time TV ads), just the odd magazine.
Your imagination of New Hampshire doesn't interest me. I actually live in it, and it's a relatively low biking area even for the US with an absolutely astounding amount of hostility towards cyclists. I moved here about 20 years ago, having lived in several areas in the US, and I never encountered anything like that hostility anywhere else. You become very acutely aware of the "image" of cycling here.

And if you haven't realized that most marketing these days both for online and brick and mortar commerce is through the internet, you really have no business even commenting on it. That activity is quite "major."

This conversation has absolutely no point and I'm out..
Old 06-09-21, 07:45 AM
pickysoul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
you need a good saddle first.
Likes For pickysoul:
Old 06-09-21, 08:30 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Oh, come on, I've seen people post here that the entry level bikes start at $2000. There's a hell of a lot of room between that and all you need is a broomstick. But go ahead, make fun of arguments no one is actually making, it's the only thing you're good at.
You really think I’m good at it? Hey guys, you hear that? He thinks I’m good at it!

Depending on how one intends to ride, entry level bikes do start at a rather high price point. Cheap, poorly equipped bikes that have marginal brakes, few gear choices that are difficult to shift, and terrible tires are not going to encourage very many people to get deep into cycling.
Old 06-09-21, 09:05 AM
PeteHski

Your imagination of New Hampshire doesn't interest me. I actually live in it, and it's a relatively low biking area even for the US with an absolutely astounding amount of hostility towards cyclists. I moved here about 20 years ago, having lived in several areas in the US, and I never encountered anything like that hostility anywhere else. You become very acutely aware of the "image" of cycling here.

And if you haven't realized that most marketing these days both for online and brick and mortar commerce is through the internet, you really have no business even commenting on it. That activity is quite "major."

This conversation has absolutely no point and I'm out..
It sounds like a great place to go for a ride. I'll be careful in future to avoid internet marketing of biking specific gear too. It's a good job you are around to advise "newbies" not to buy stuff that might make their biking more comfortable.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-09-21, 09:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It sounds like a great place to go for a ride. I'll be careful in future to avoid internet marketing of biking specific gear too. It's a good job you are around to advise "newbies" not to buy stuff that might make their biking more comfortable.

/ignore bye
Old 06-09-21, 10:08 AM
PeteHski

Back to cycling shorts then, lol.

I went out this morning for a quick mtb ride. Threw one of my baggy shells over some ordinary cotton boxer shorts. Not the best comfort if I’m honest, but got away with it for an hour. A proper liner short would have been much better. It also reminded me how baggies can catch a bit on the saddle. I find that quite irritating. So for me roadie bib shorts are ultimately more comfortable, but I’m a sucker for the more casual look when biking off road. Plus I think my bib shorts would probably get ripped on overhanging bushes etc while riding narrow trails.

I’m tempted to try some gravel shorts, which could be a better compromise for trail riding. Some of those look pretty sharp for casual wear too. Maybe something like this:-

https://7mesh.com/farside-shorts

Last edited by PeteHski; 06-09-21 at 10:37 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-09-21, 10:38 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
I own a fitness hybrid bike and want to get cycling shorts. I notice there is mountain biking shorts and the road bike shirts , I like mountain biking Ones because they have pockets and look more casual , but is the comfort going to be worse?
Either type will be better than non-cycling shorts. If you want the pockets, get the mountain biking shorts.

which type should I get and how much should I spend ?
You should be able to get something decent in the $30-$50 range. Spend more if you want to.
Old 06-09-21, 01:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
You really think I’m good at it? Hey guys, you hear that? He thinks I’m good at it!

Depending on how one intends to ride, entry level bikes do start at a rather high price point. Cheap, poorly equipped bikes that have marginal brakes, few gear choices that are difficult to shift, and terrible tires are not going to encourage very many people to get deep into cycling.

You know you aren't really disagreeing with anything I actually said there, don't you?

Here's the problem, newbies often have very poor information about how they intend to ride because they don't have the experience to know what does and doesn't feel right for them. Marginal brakes and crappy tires are one thing--those are never good, but the right number of gear choices, and a whole bunch of factors, all of which involve different levels of spending are entirely dependent on knowing how much you're going to ride, where, and how.

And I actually disagree with you a bit--I started on bikes I wouldn't ride on a bet now, and basically realized their inadequacies as I developed my strengths. I then could make informed decisions about the kind of bikes I was buying.

I also think it's fair game when somebody posts "advice" that says "if you don't have x, this terrible thing will happen" to post that I've ridden 10s of thousands of miles without x, and this terrible thing never happens. I find a lot of that stuff on BF, and I do think a lot of those false beliefs about the dangers of not-x are marketing driven. YMMV, and I'm done arguing about this.
Old 06-09-21, 01:44 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
You know you aren't really disagreeing with anything I actually said there, don't you?
I’m aware of that, yes. You know that I was only mocking your post that I quoted, don’t you? Here- have a beer. Made it myself. It’s a Saison, perfect for quaffing after a long, hot ride wearing whatever we want to wear on the bike. (On my deck, drinking my beer, you’ll be properly dressed, though.).
Old 06-09-21, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
I’m aware of that, yes. You know that I was only mocking your post that I quoted, don’t you? Here- have a beer. Made it myself. It’s a Saison, perfect for quaffing after a long, hot ride wearing whatever we want to wear on the bike. (On my deck, drinking my beer, you’ll be properly dressed, though.).
What the fudgeyewtawkinabowt?
Old 06-09-21, 01:57 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
He's got me on ignore too!

You know all this advice to newbies comes from a guy who boasted about a century one week, claims to have health issues needing an ebike, then the next month, claims to have done several 150 mile rides in cargo shorts. I wonder what the newbies are getting out of his advice?
I'm more than happy to stay on his ignore list! I see he's already found someone else to argue the exact same point with. I'm not stupid and can spot a thinly veiled "nobody needs proper bike gear and it's all just marketing BS" rant a mile off. I just find it an irritating position to take on a bike forum of all places. Maybe I should do my next GF event in a pair of cargo shorts, T-shirt and some nice squidgy sneakers/trainers. It would be as uncomfortable as hell, but at least I couldn't be considered elitist, lol.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-09-21, 02:01 PM
PeteHski

I also think it's fair game when somebody posts "advice" that says "if you don't have x, this terrible thing will happen" to post that I've ridden 10s of thousands of miles without x, and this terrible thing never happens. I find a lot of that stuff on BF, and I do think a lot of those false beliefs about the dangers of not-x are marketing driven. YMMV, and I'm done arguing about this.

Where is all this stuff?
Old 06-09-21, 02:08 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
When I seriously started cycling again six years ago I couldn't manage more than 15 minutes before arsal discomfort set in. Rather than try lots of different saddles (not practical) I let my then lbs sell me a pair of (women's!!) bibshorts. It didn't take me long to figure out that I loathed the rigmarole involved in peeing. When I cycle I drink a lot. There are few things as poetic and refreshing as quickly and efficiently jumping off the bike, drowning some ants, then mounting up again and getting on with it. Hence, normal bike shorts.

My arse is now steel-plated, but I still prefer to wear bike shorts for all but the shortest and non-sweatiest of rides. Anyways, if I ride any long distance I will usually wash and change soon after arriving. An added advantage of wearing bike shorts is the secret thrill of parading my junk in public.

I still own the women's bibshorts. I wear them as a last resort when everything else is in the wash. Strangely, riding in them is not that uncomfortable, but walking around is.
Old 06-09-21, 02:47 PM
PeteHski

Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-09-21, 03:23 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Exactly! The equipment was developed for a reason. Some people just like to argue for inane reasons but in the long run, hurt those newbs who are actually interested in proper equipment. Yeah, I can ride in a dress shirt and a jock strap too. It can be done but why? Sadly, this type poster spends too much time speaking out against proper equipment trying to lead others astray for no good reason. Just to show what, the forum members that he's smart?

I've found shorts for as low as $20 that work well on a $30 mile ride. And jerseys as low as $20 that work well on 100. So why all the stink about going a different direction? Cycling clothing is not that expensive, so why lead newbs into avoiding the proper equipment?
You are talking far too much common sense!

When it comes to bike gear I think contact points are the most important things to consider after your bike. I think shorts and shoes are where you see the most gains over non-cycling gear. Jerseys are less critical, but cycling jerseys are still cut better for a riding position and have pockets in the right places, etc.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-09-21, 06:09 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
It didn't take me long to figure out that I loathed the rigmarole involved in peeing (with bibshorts). When I cycle I drink a lot. There are few things as poetic and refreshing as quickly and efficiently jumping off the bike, drowning some ants, then mounting up again and getting on with it. Hence, normal bike shorts
Assuming you are male, I can't imagine the problem you are having with performing a natural break with bib shorts. I do it on just about every ride. Easy and quick.

Old 06-09-21, 06:22 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I can't imagine
That's ok.
Likes For fredlord:
Old 06-09-21, 07:34 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Assuming you are male, I can't imagine the problem you are having with performing a natural break with bib shorts. I do it on just about every ride. Easy and quick.
You don't even have to get off your bike for a pee break. In fact, you can pee while riding.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-09-21, 08:14 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Ironic this thread has gone to discussions of peeing on rides since it turned into a pissing contest early on.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-09-21, 08:19 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Assuming you are male, I can't imagine the problem you are having with performing a natural break with bib shorts..
I think many folks may be worried (as I was) about damaging the bibs if they stretch the front down far enough...but good bibs are elastic enough to allow it and recover just fine.
Old 06-09-21, 08:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Chuck M
Ironic this thread has gone to discussions of peeing on rides since it turned into a pissing contest early on.

There's gotta be a "cold dead hands" joke in there somewhere, but I probably shouldn't touch that.
Old 06-09-21, 08:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You don't even have to get off your bike for a pee break. In fact, you can pee while riding.
And it deters drafting.
Old 06-10-21, 08:10 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
And it deters drafting.
Oh, we talking "Golden Showers"? Wasn't there an expose about that!
Old 06-10-21, 08:54 AM
gilpi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I lucked out with Sponeed cycling shorts. Perfect fit and used them quite a bit. I bought two in 2018 and still going strong. I hand wash them after every ride. At the moment they are selling for around 35 bucks in Amazon. I'm about 35" waist and wearing the US large/Chinese XL. Good luck.
(Thought I'd bring the topic back to cycling shorts)

Last edited by gilpi; 06-10-21 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For gilpi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.