Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Bolt or Garmin 530

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wahoo Bolt or Garmin 530

Old 07-10-21, 05:26 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- A legit negative is not being able to send a route from my phone to the GPS. They connect with each other for a ton of things, but to send a route I have to find a computer and plug the GPS in. Thats lame- its 2021. To be clear, I am on a computer right now and didnt even move to plug the Garmin into a computer, but thats beside the point!
What phone? I'm assuming you mean transferring course files on your phone.

If you are using an Android phone, you can use the gimporter IQ app along with the gexporter Android app.

With routes on RWGPS, there are a few ways of transferring routes wirelessly. You can sync RWGPS to Garmin connect. Or there are a few IQ apps that will do it (the RWGPS app and GRouteLoader).

- This weekend the youth team I work with has a campout. 55mi out and 65mi back. I can get one RWGPS route or the other to load. Cant ever get both. Its been 10 tries over the last hour. Other RWGPS routes will load fine.

This problem might be the names. The Garmins only see the first 15 characters of the name. You might just be overwriting one with the other.
Old 07-10-21, 08:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
thanks! Huge help. I dislike it less now.
Not sure why a course can't be uploaded to the Connect app and the Connect website needs to be used. Odd- apps are kinda the hot thing for kids these days.
But the Connect site process worked so its good enough!
Try this:
https://ridewithgps.com/help/iq/
Old 07-10-21, 02:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
mstateglfr I didn't realize you meant a RWGPS route. I don't use them for planning so I can't say, I think there's a way to load them over the air, @Steve B might be able to help?

If you can export a gpx from RWGPS on the phone, GCM can import that into a route (they call them courses).
The easiest method to get a RWGPS navigable route to a Garmin 520/530/820/830/1000/1030/1030 Plus, is to install a Garmin iQ app for RWGPS directly onto the device (Garmin iQ store). There are other iQ apps that work as well, RouteCourse being one. You make sure your Connect app is running on a smartphone that has a BT connection to the device. Run the RWGPS iQ app on the device, it'll go to the RWGPS website and show the most recent and the pinned routes created. Select whichever desired and download. Then go to the navigation section on the device, the route should be there, select to start navigating.
Old 07-10-21, 06:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
This problem might be the names. The Garmins only see the first 15 characters of the name. You might just be overwriting one with the other.
Yes this was the issue. A couple people in this group have garmins and emailed me about the issue since they too couldn't load both. They mentioned the 15 letter issue. I created and named the routes and it hadn't been an issue in many years before now.
Funny timing- running into the issue right when I learn a new GPS system.

Thanks for the reply, spot on.
Old 07-10-21, 07:23 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Yes this was the issue. A couple people in this group have garmins and emailed me about the issue since they too couldn't load both. They mentioned the 15 letter issue. I created and named the routes and it hadn't been an issue in many years before now.
Funny timing- running into the issue right when I learn a new GPS system.

Thanks for the reply, spot on.
FWIW, if you're a Strava subscriber, you might want to give their route planner a try, too. They've made improvements to it over the last year or two and I find it more or less equivalent to RwGPS. I've been happy enough with it that I haven't created a route in RwGPS in more than a year. Any new route that you create in Strava will automatically be starred/favorited and transferred to your 530.
Old 07-10-21, 08:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Garmin's route planner in Connect used to be terrible. They fixed it a few years ago. It still isn't as good as CalTopo out Gaia but it's good enough to use.
Old 07-18-21, 03:42 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I created my own 28 mile course last night on the 530 (partial road and C&O Canal). But this morning, when I got ready to ride, I wasn't sure it was "on". I was afraid the ride just wouldn't register, so I just followed the route as I remembered it. I then saved the ride as a "course". Creating a course is a bit fiddley, hopefully, with practice, I'll become more adept.
Old 08-09-21, 04:27 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
About to bite the bullet on either the 530 or Bolt V2, still undecided on which one, never had a gps bike computer before so nothing to compare it with! Am leaning towards the Bolt because of the ease of use that everyone mentions, but the Garmin is currently on sale for £207 and I can get the performance bundle for £290. The equivalent Bolt bundle will be about £340, have read good and bad reviews on both products! Decisions decisions!
Old 08-09-21, 05:44 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I've had my 530 for about a month now. Now issues or complaints. I found setup pretty easy, but I had a 500 before, so it was similar. I was unsure spending as much on the Garmin as I did, so there was not way I was paying more for the Bolt. Garmin connect works well, uploads have been 100%. Drawing a course is still a little wonky, I need to get more experience creating them around my home base. Battery life has not been an issue. I used 10% on a 60 mile ride (89 to 79%).
Old 08-11-21, 02:08 AM
sw20

Originally Posted by Warbird21
I've had my 530 for about a month now. Now issues or complaints. I found setup pretty easy, but I had a 500 before, so it was similar. I was unsure spending as much on the Garmin as I did, so there was not way I was paying more for the Bolt. Garmin connect works well, uploads have been 100%. Drawing a course is still a little wonky, I need to get more experience creating them around my home base. Battery life has not been an issue. I used 10% on a 60 mile ride (89 to 79%).
Thats good to hear, think I'm leaning towards the Bolt just for the ease of use, I also like prefer the look of the button layout, but I'm sure tomorrow I'll lean towards the Garmin for the additional functions!
Old 08-11-21, 08:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Originally Posted by sw20
About to bite the bullet on either the 530 or Bolt V2, still undecided on which one, never had a gps bike computer before so nothing to compare it with! Am leaning towards the Bolt because of the ease of use that everyone mentions, but the Garmin is currently on sale for £207 and I can get the performance bundle for £290. The equivalent Bolt bundle will be about £340, have read good and bad reviews on both products! Decisions decisions!
Thread starter here.
The lack of Wahoo Bolts in store pushed me to Garmin. A GPS is something I really want to hold and feel before buying- button layout, feel of quality, etc.

The 530 has been perfect so far, and for the price I would expect it to be. Setting up data fields is not an elegant process, but its doable once you understand the steps. Routes auto-upload fine(again, i would expect that) and battery life has been good. I like the display- the map is a significant upgrade over my old Lezyne, directions are good, the audible beep notifications are great, and the color on the sides for cars passing is nice.
I bought a new GPS just so I could have the Varia radar rear...that is kinda backwards sounding and pretty fear based, even though I dont consider it an emotional purchase. Regardless, the connectivity with Varia has been perfect and I enjoy the tech. Its helps a lot when im riding on gravel- I can just transition over to the side of the road to let cars pass and it keeps me from frustrating drivers due to me taking up the middle of the road when thats the best line.

Garmin's old usb port is lame. Garmin's less than fully secure mount is lame(my old Lezyne had a more secure mount). Besides those things, its a clear upgrade from what I had and I would get it again.
...in the meantime, Ive seen the Bolt on a couple of friends' bikes and its great too. Had one been in stock in a store, I would have bought it instead. After a month of use, I dont think you can go wrong either way.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-13-21, 07:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
I've been using a 530 for over a year now. It gets the job done, but I find the UI a bit of a mess. It is like they went out of their way to make it as unintuitive as possible to use. But once it's all set up and running then it's not such a big deal, but still a minor irritant at times when trying to find something buried deep in the menus.

The integration with Varia is superb and totally reliable, as it needs to be!
TBT map nav is pretty good, but sometimes buggy. It used to freeze up occasionally in the first few months I had it, but firmware updates seem to have cured that issue. I haven't had it freeze at all this year, so that's all good now. But certain maps I've loaded up don't work well with TBT, occasionally throwing in random turn requests where there isn't even a road to turn into. It's a pita when this happens and I haven't worked out what causes it. The routes I've had this problem with have looked fine when viewed on the map.
Phone integration (iPhone 6s) has been fine for me.
Battery life is great. No need to worry even on epic all-day rides.
No touchscreen, but not a big problem in this application. At least you can't sausage finger the display by accident!
The colour display is okay, but nothing special. It's not exactly cutting edge resolution and some of the icons are too small. It makes a good eyesight test!
Integration with Best Bike Split app is rubbish. Big disappointment here. You can only display your live power targets if you disable all the TBT and other higher level routing functionality. Basically your course has to be set up as a very simple bread crumb trail in order for the power targets to display properly along the course. It's fine if you know the course off by heart, but rubbish if you need TBT as I always do when I use BBS for Sportive events. To be fair to Garmin, this is really down to BBS to fix. But still it's a major problem for BBS users with this unit (and all other Garmin units I believe).

I have no idea how well it compares to Wahoo, or any other units, but I would be tempted to look elsewhere next time. I'm certainly not in love with Garmin, although it does work quite well most of the time. Maybe a 6.5/10 score!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-13-21, 08:56 AM
sw20

Thread starter here.
The lack of Wahoo Bolts in store pushed me to Garmin. A GPS is something I really want to hold and feel before buying- button layout, feel of quality, etc.

The 530 has been perfect so far, and for the price I would expect it to be. Setting up data fields is not an elegant process, but its doable once you understand the steps. Routes auto-upload fine(again, i would expect that) and battery life has been good. I like the display- the map is a significant upgrade over my old Lezyne, directions are good, the audible beep notifications are great, and the color on the sides for cars passing is nice.
I bought a new GPS just so I could have the Varia radar rear...that is kinda backwards sounding and pretty fear based, even though I dont consider it an emotional purchase. Regardless, the connectivity with Varia has been perfect and I enjoy the tech. Its helps a lot when im riding on gravel- I can just transition over to the side of the road to let cars pass and it keeps me from frustrating drivers due to me taking up the middle of the road when thats the best line.

Garmin's old usb port is lame. Garmin's less than fully secure mount is lame(my old Lezyne had a more secure mount). Besides those things, its a clear upgrade from what I had and I would get it again.
...in the meantime, Ive seen the Bolt on a couple of friends' bikes and its great too. Had one been in stock in a store, I would have bought it instead. After a month of use, I dont think you can go wrong either way.
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I've been using a 530 for over a year now. It gets the job done, but I find the UI a bit of a mess. It is like they went out of their way to make it as unintuitive as possible to use. But once it's all set up and running then it's not such a big deal, but still a minor irritant at times when trying to find something buried deep in the menus.

The integration with Varia is superb and totally reliable, as it needs to be!
TBT map nav is pretty good, but sometimes buggy. It used to freeze up occasionally in the first few months I had it, but firmware updates seem to have cured that issue. I haven't had it freeze at all this year, so that's all good now. But certain maps I've loaded up don't work well with TBT, occasionally throwing in random turn requests where there isn't even a road to turn into. It's a pita when this happens and I haven't worked out what causes it. The routes I've had this problem with have looked fine when viewed on the map.
Phone integration (iPhone 6s) has been fine for me.
Battery life is great. No need to worry even on epic all-day rides.
No touchscreen, but not a big problem in this application. At least you can't sausage finger the display by accident!
The colour display is okay, but nothing special. It's not exactly cutting edge resolution and some of the icons are too small. It makes a good eyesight test!
Integration with Best Bike Split app is rubbish. Big disappointment here. You can only display your live power targets if you disable all the TBT and other higher level routing functionality. Basically your course has to be set up as a very simple bread crumb trail in order for the power targets to display properly along the course. It's fine if you know the course off by heart, but rubbish if you need TBT as I always do when I use BBS for Sportive events. To be fair to Garmin, this is really down to BBS to fix. But still it's a major problem for BBS users with this unit (and all other Garmin units I believe).

I have no idea how well it compares to Wahoo, or any other units, but I would be tempted to look elsewhere next time. I'm certainly not in love with Garmin, although it does work quite well most of the time. Maybe a 6.5/10 score!
Thanks for the updates, the UI and button layout is what is pushing me to the Bolt, I also prefer the look of the Bolt but like all of the additional features of the 530, how much I would actually use is another question!? I am waiting for the Bolt bundle to come back into stock, can get the Bolt plus cadence and speed sensor plus the heart rate monitor for £309, the 530 with all sensors is currently in stock and priced at £290, I'm not sure how long I am willing to wait though! Knowing my luck I'll buy the Garmin and the Bolt will be back in stock the next day!
Old 08-13-21, 12:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I would go with the Garmin over the Bolt at the same price, if you're getting more and paying less that's a no brainer. 🙂
Old 08-16-21, 11:33 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I have a bolt, my wife has a 530. If we had to go out and get new computers tomorrow, we'd both get Wahoo.
Old 08-16-21, 03:03 PM
dscohen

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Just to chime in, I'll echo that once you set up the 530, then ease of usage afterward is a non-issue. One of my favorite features of the 530, which I don't think is offered in the Wahoo/Karoo ecosystem, are the ConnectIQ apps, data fields, and widgets.

I used to run multiple "7-B" pages that were filled with data, and then had those on auto-scroll so that every time I looked down, I was getting some new data. After perusing the third-party/ user-created data fields in the ConnectIQ store, there are some great solutions that fill a single page with such a data-rich UI that there's no need to run multiple pages. All you need to do is create a single page with a single data field and then add the downloaded content into that data field. Additionally, you can download and install apps/widgets that give you weather forecasts, battery decay rates per day, a separate stopwatch function, etc. that allow you to customize your unit as best you see fit.
Likes For dscohen:
Old 08-26-21, 03:35 PM
Stevin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there anyone out there who loves the bolt V2

It seems that there’s only negative feedback and experiences from the Bolt version two. I would really like to be able to buy but it seems dreadful!!!!
I’d be really interested to know if there is a large group who are really happy with the bolt v2 but are not being heard from ?
Otherwise it’ll be a very simple decision to go with the 530

Last edited by Stevin; 08-26-21 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-27-21, 03:02 AM
sw20

I've just ordered a 530, really wanted a Bolt V2 bundle but stock issues and negative reviews made me go for the 530, if there had been lots of good reviews I would've waited for the Bolt. DC Rainmaker reviews helped make my mind up.
Old 08-27-21, 06:56 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by dscohen
Just to chime in, I'll echo that once you set up the 530, then ease of usage afterward is a non-issue. One of my favorite features of the 530, which I don't think is offered in the Wahoo/Karoo ecosystem, are the ConnectIQ apps, data fields, and widgets.

I used to run multiple "7-B" pages that were filled with data, and then had those on auto-scroll so that every time I looked down, I was getting some new data. After perusing the third-party/ user-created data fields in the ConnectIQ store, there are some great solutions that fill a single page with such a data-rich UI that there's no need to run multiple pages. All you need to do is create a single page with a single data field and then add the downloaded content into that data field. Additionally, you can download and install apps/widgets that give you weather forecasts, battery decay rates per day, a separate stopwatch function, etc. that allow you to customize your unit as best you see fit.
I also find the custom third party data fields very useful. I have one set up with a rotating power graphic that changes colour with power zones and a heart rate percentage bar underneath. And there’s still enough room to display basic info like speed, distance, time, cadence etc.on a single display page. I also really appreciate the built-in climb pro app. so you know where you are on all the significant climbs.
Old 08-27-21, 07:29 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I also find the custom third party data fields very useful.
Originally Posted by dscohen
One of my favorite features of the 530, [...] are the ConnectIQ apps, data fields, and widgets.
What are some of your preferred ConnectIQ apps?
Likes For RChung:
Old 08-27-21, 07:35 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Seconded. I have a couple, but haven't found them to be as useful as it's thought they might be.
Old 08-27-21, 09:21 AM
dscohen

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Right now, I'm using the following Third-Party Data Fields:
- Strava Relative Effort
- PowerSlider
- What's My FTP? - Xert
- SPH Graph - SPHGraWH
- In The Zone (my favorite right now)

Third-Party Widgets:
- AccuWeather MinuteCast
- Stopwatch (but I barely use it)
- Battery Widget with automatic charge detection
Likes For dscohen:
Old 08-27-21, 09:50 AM
PeteHski

I'm currently using:-

Powerslider
Heart Rate Zones Chart
Climb Gauge
BBS Power Targets (although it doesn't work properly with TBT routing switched on)
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-27-21, 11:35 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
GRouteLoader.

Works like the RWGPS app which isn't available for the 1030+.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-29-21, 01:58 AM
dmitchchar

Bikes: Custom built Carbon-; Litespeed M1 - Rival; Cannondale Caad3 Ultegra + Spinergy Wheelset; Schwinn Voyageur Steel '84; Specialized HardRock Hardtail

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My thoughts

Bolts been a nice unit for me. No real complaints. Haven't seen the new models.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.