Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Shoes do you Use for Cycling?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Shoes do you Use for Cycling?

Old 08-31-21, 04:37 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I can play the "make nasty comment so you get in your in box then edit it" game too.
Daddy’s busy, son.
Old 08-31-21, 06:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Daddy’s busy, son.
Not as busy as your mom at the truck stop.
Old 08-31-21, 06:25 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Not as busy as your mom at the truck stop.
Somebody’s gotta make them pancakes.
Old 08-31-21, 10:35 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I use minimalist footwear for everything other than skateboarding (an activity that I've put on hold until I can find a shoe with a durable sole that has a decent last-shape - even Vans are too narrow for me). I use rubber-block pedals similar to MKS 3000s. Before making the switch to minimalist footwear, I rode in any shoe, with toe-clips or just plain DX pedals. Often the shoes were Vans, which work very well with DXes.
Old 09-01-21, 09:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Somebody’s gotta make them pancakes.

Do you make fun of her for not wearing pancake flipping shoes?
Old 09-01-21, 10:32 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
P1030190 on Flickr
Old 09-01-21, 12:52 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Do you make fun of her for not wearing pancake flipping shoes?
No, because my mother isn’t a mouth breathing idiot; she wears pancake flippin boots appropriately. There was one time she wore them to make crêpes, and I mocked her for that. Just that once, snd I learned not to do that again.
Old 09-01-21, 01:11 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
These threads are always great. I love all the references to riding with “running” shoes, “hiking” shoes, “skateboarding” shoes, “walking” shoes… Shoes made for everything except pedaling a bike. This thread is exactly like the “Which shorts?” threads, the “Which gloves?” threads and the “Which lube?” threads. The best part about them, and I mean the VERY BEST part, is that the most common responses are always the ones downplaying cycling-specific things. On a cycling forum. And that’s why we can’t have nice things.
Sad, but true.
Old 09-01-21, 01:51 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,713 Times in 2,911 Posts
I have no idea what is the best option for most people and never implied that cycling shoes aren't a good or the best option for many, many or most people. Stop putting words in my mouth, you do this to me a lot.

Point is there's a lot of us "outliers" out there, and it is ridiculous to exclude us from the conversation of what we wear. Wide feet is not an unusual condition. Simple math will tell you why it's harder for us to get cycling shoes in our sizes than it is other more popular types of shoes. If you're already in a niche market (cycling) with your product, segmenting that market into sizes means very small demand for wide shoes of any given style, not enough to justify the costs of producing and carrying those."outlier" sizes. If I buy a type of shoe with a broader demand, there's much higher odds that the manufacturer will create a broader range of sizes.

I've bought one pair of Freeriders, it ended up giving me horribly sore feet and cost approximately twice to three times what I pay for my NBs.

My refence to marketing labels really was aimed more at labeling something a "walking shoe", a "running shoe" or whatever and assuming that meant they weren't good for other uses as well, including cycling. Most shoes have more than one function--would you tell someone they found a pair of Freeriders to be a good walking shoe they're wrong because it's a cycling shoe? If you took from my comments that I was saying cycling shoes aren't good for cycling (if they fit), then your reading comprehension might need a bit of dusting off.

Please reread the comment I was objecting to--I was not criticizing people for buying and using cycling shoes, I was reacting to a comment that certainly implied people who buy other shoes for cycling were somehow ignorant or otherwise deficient and "why we can't have nice things.".
Cycling shoes are not limited in sizes or widths. In fact IME they often come in more sizes and widths than most other generic shoes. You just have to find what works for you. Not you personally by the way. But when people ask about shoes on a cycling forum, it makes more sense to recommend cycling shoes than any other type of shoe. In this case flat mtb style shoes would be the first place for the OP to start looking. There is plenty of choice. NBs may well work for you, but whenever I've tried cycling in that type of shoe they've always felt way too soft. Only cycling shoes give me the level of support I want for pedalling. It's almost as if they've been designed for pedalling.....
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-01-21, 02:34 PM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
The bike shoes I've tried and seen (you can spot this without actually going through the pain of wearing them) all have toe boxes too small for me and make my feet feel like they're in a death camp. I don't think such sizing issues are unusual, and bike shoes, being a specialized form of footwear with a relatively small market, do not tend to carry as wide a range of sizes as other, more generalized types of footwear. Since I've ridden those significant distances consistently in other types of shoes without problems, I think I and others like me should weigh in on these conversations without getting the type of patronizing crap like assuming we're talking about puttering around on e scooter or being told we're why people can't have nice things.
I'm considering some custom MTB Shoes with Vibram soles in them for using clipless pedals.
Old 09-01-21, 02:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Cycling shoes are not limited in sizes or widths. In fact IME they often come in more sizes and widths than most other generic shoes. You just have to find what works for you. Not you personally by the way. But when people ask about shoes on a cycling forum, it makes more sense to recommend cycling shoes than any other type of shoe. In this case flat mtb style shoes would be the first place for the OP to start looking. There is plenty of choice. NBs may well work for you, but whenever I've tried cycling in that type of shoe they've always felt way too soft. Only cycling shoes give me the level of support I want for pedalling. It's almost as if they've been designed for pedalling.....

It's almost as if you spend wayyyyy too much time worrying about what other people are recommending.
The cycling shoes I've tried have been disasters for me, the New Balance works better for me. Support while pedaling is not an issue, I have ridden on multiple century plus rides on various types of bikes, and the combo of NB shoes and Chester pedals is highly effective and comfortable.

I don't care if you think it makes sense for me to say that or not. The question was what we use, not what should we recommend for people that will meet with the approval of certain posters.

Five 10s don't make wide sizes as far as I can find.
NB makes several types of shoes, I don't know what you mean by "that type of shoe". The one's I pick have fairly flat, pretty stiff soles. If I'm losing any energy that way, it's negligible.

And one more thing-12 EEE with a need for a really wide toe box. I can get NB that fits. Knock yourself out finding the equivalent platform cycling shoe..

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-01-21 at 02:56 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-01-21, 03:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I'm guessing there's a Troll nearby who's enjoying this.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-01-21, 03:35 PM
PeteHski

It's almost as if you spend wayyyyy too much time worrying about what other people are recommending.
The cycling shoes I've tried have been disasters for me, the New Balance works better for me. Support while pedaling is not an issue, I have ridden on multiple century plus rides on various types of bikes, and the combo of NB shoes and Chester pedals is highly effective and comfortable.

I don't care if you think it makes sense for me to say that or not. The question was what we use, not what should we recommend for people that will meet with the approval of certain posters.

Five 10s don't make wide sizes as far as I can find.
NB makes several types of shoes, I don't know what you mean by "that type of shoe". The one's I pick have fairly flat, pretty stiff soles. If I'm losing any energy that way, it's negligible.

And one more thing-12 EEE with a need for a really wide toe box. I can get NB that fits. Knock yourself out finding the equivalent platform cycling shoe..
You read too much into things. I just thought it was amusing what the other poster said about people recommending pretty much anything other than cycling shoes on a cycling forum. But you had to take it seriously.

FiveTens are generally wide fitting shoes. I have wide feet and it's one of the things I like about them. Now a lot of standard fit road cycling shoes are too narrow for me, but there are enough wide fitting models around. Lake have about 3 different widths in their higher end shoes, Shimano offer a wide fit, as do Fizik now on some models. It's not that hard to find cycling shoes that fit.

By "that type of shoe" I meant flat soled trainers in general. Cycling specific shoes are invariably stiffer across the sole as you might well expect.
Old 09-01-21, 08:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You read too much into things. I just thought it was amusing what the other poster said about people recommending pretty much anything other than cycling shoes on a cycling forum. But you had to take it seriously.

FiveTens are generally wide fitting shoes. I have wide feet and it's one of the things I like about them. Now a lot of standard fit road cycling shoes are too narrow for me, but there are enough wide fitting models around. Lake have about 3 different widths in their higher end shoes, Shimano offer a wide fit, as do Fizik now on some models. It's not that hard to find cycling shoes that fit.

By "that type of shoe" I meant flat soled trainers in general. Cycling specific shoes are invariably stiffer across the sole as you might well expect.
No I don't read too much into things, this is the second thread you've picked an argument with me to try to convince me that there's something wrong with saying I prefer some sort of non-cycling kit for bicycling. No, if you think Fivetens are wide, you really don't have anything of interest to say to me about the available ranges of sizes in different kinds of shoes. Those toe boxes are tiny compared to the shape of my foot.
​​​​​​

Yippeee dingdong for you that you've found shoes you like. I really don't give a rat's behind about marginal differences in stiffness of soles, and I am extremely skeptical they make any significant difference in energy transfer. I'm sure you are certain otherwise but I have no reason to believe you. I've also looked at the shoes you're otherwise talking about and can tell just by looking at them they won't fit me. I've found good shoes that serve the purposes I need from them very well for about $50 a pair. Now if you'll stop wasting both of our time trying to argue me out of stating that, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 09-01-21, 08:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Sad, but true.

What's sad about it? Who says cyclists have to have anything in common other than the use of cycles?

And it's also complete nonsense. Most of the comments are from people who use cycling shoes. Y'all just freak out at anyone who doesn't.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-01-21, 09:09 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Oh Good God, Lemon.

Moisture (the OP): If you want regular general purpose tennis shoes to wear for riding on flat pedals, go with something that has a reasonably flat and somewhat stiff toe and sole structure, BUT if possible that also has soft “sticky” rubber on the very bottom outsole.

E.g. the Adidas Superstar, some Puma soccer style shoes. Or skate/BMX shoes from companies like Vans, Emerica, Osiris, Etnies, DC.

Stay away from running shoes with too much cushion {EDIT: or too many bumps and whirls}.

You want some thickness, but not so much that you can’t feel the pedal and can’t prevent lateral wiggle. Isn’t that obvious?
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 09-02-21, 06:51 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
If you go with toe cages, leather soled dress shoes are actually great to ride in. Nice stiff sole and will keep your feet dryer if they are fully leather inside. I prefer John lobb, but you can get more budget oriented shoes too, like Alden or Trickers.
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 09-02-21, 06:57 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I ride flat pedals with pins (oft called BMX pedals). Trail running shoes work for me. They have a sole which works well with the pins. Should mention that I wear insoles for arch support in all of my shoes, so they might add a little stiffness also.
Same with me, at times(!). Most often, though, I wear Bontrager Flatline shoes. I've been very, very pleased with them in combination with pinned pedals.

Best regards
Old 09-02-21, 10:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown
If you go with toe cages, leather soled dress shoes are actually great to ride in. Nice stiff sole and will keep your feet dryer if they are fully leather inside. I prefer John lobb, but you can get more budget oriented shoes too, like Alden or Trickers.

Liked for the creativity. One thing I think we can be pretty certain of is that there aren't a lot of shoes specifically being designed for toe clip use at this point.

I can't use toe clips because they mess up my ankles, but I'm glad there are people still doing it.
Old 09-02-21, 11:29 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Old 09-02-21, 04:43 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Actually, for the moment, I’m using my Keen sandals.

I still have a pretty good scrape on my ankle from a recent fall and the sandals don’t irritate it like my usual shoes and socks do. The Keens don’t play as nicely with my platform pedals as the Nike shoes do, but it’s ok for a bit while I heal.

Otto
Old 09-03-21, 02:29 AM
PeteHski

No I don't read too much into things, this is the second thread you've picked an argument with me to try to convince me that there's something wrong with saying I prefer some sort of non-cycling kit for bicycling. No, if you think Fivetens are wide, you really don't have anything of interest to say to me about the available ranges of sizes in different kinds of shoes. Those toe boxes are tiny compared to the shape of my foot.
​​​​​​

Yippeee dingdong for you that you've found shoes you like. I really don't give a rat's behind about marginal differences in stiffness of soles, and I am extremely skeptical they make any significant difference in energy transfer. I'm sure you are certain otherwise but I have no reason to believe you. I've also looked at the shoes you're otherwise talking about and can tell just by looking at them they won't fit me. I've found good shoes that serve the purposes I need from them very well for about $50 a pair. Now if you'll stop wasting both of our time trying to argue me out of stating that, I'd really appreciate it.
I didn't try to convince you of anything other than to acknowledge that cycling shoes are a thing that most cyclists would choose to wear (except on BF of course!). Five Ten Freeriders are certainly wider than average and happen to fit my wider than average feet. Maybe your feet are extra-wide? What shoes did you look at - Lake? How can you tell they wouldn't fit your feet when they come in 3 different widths? You are just talking nonsense now.
Old 09-03-21, 04:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I didn't try to convince you of anything other than to acknowledge that cycling shoes are a thing that most cyclists would choose to wear (except on BF of course!). Five Ten Freeriders are certainly wider than average and happen to fit my wider than average feet. Maybe your feet are extra-wide? What shoes did you look at - Lake? How can you tell they wouldn't fit your feet when they come in 3 different widths? You are just talking nonsense now.
You called me an outlier and then went on to argue with a bunch of stuff I didn't say. It's the second thread you've done this. Knock it off already.

What is your obsession with me? I've told you I can see whether a toe box is wide enough because my foot is extra wide there. Freeriders are definitely not wide there.

I've looked online at the Lake wide shoes--the toe box looks too small for me. They also cost 3-7 times what I pay for shoes that aren't giving me any problems. I'm going to say right here that someone willing to pay $160-350 for shoes on a platform bike is an outlier of a different kind.

BS on the "most cyclists" claim btw. The vast majority of people who ride platforms wear street shoes. Only on bf would anyone claim otherwise.
Spare us from your inevitable next move to define the vast majority of riders from the definition of "cyclist".
Old 09-03-21, 04:53 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My personal observation has been that the vast majority of cyclists use platform pedals with non-cycling shoes.
Old 09-03-21, 05:07 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I agree that most people riding bikes are use street shoes but are they posting on an enthusiast website?

If I'm just bee beboping around town I'm in street shoes too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.