Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giving up on my lbs?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giving up on my lbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 06:13 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Giving up on my lbs?

How do you know when it's time to just give up trying to support your local bike shop? I was so frustrated the other day when I visited the shop that I go into at least twice a week for the last couple years and wanted to buy some sealant to put in my new tubeless tires and do the ride to decide on a set of Reynold Assaults. I picked up a bottle of sealant and went over to the service counter and asked if they had the valve core removal tool so I could inject the sealant after I buy it and all three guys said they didn't have one but they could order me one to buy. Really? I left the bottle right there on the counter and left the store saying "Thanks Guys" on the way out. This is a well established shop that has one of the busiest service departments I've ever seen so I would venture a guess that they have the tool I need and/or could have let me use a pair of needle nose pliers to get it done. That and they weren't busy at all, just opened. For a little background, I went there first to buy my new road bike in October of 2013 and tested several but they didn't carry my size (60-61cm) and they had no inclination to get one in for me to try before purchase and kept pushing a 58cm on me that I knew was too small and I couldn't see buying a bike that was worth more than my car if I didn't know it would fit me so I bought one somewhere else. I've purchased several sets of tires there, helmet, bibs, jerseys, countless snacks/drinks, and even had some service work done there even though it's free at the shop I got the bike from to show my support. For the most part they have a friendly staff but you can tell there's something going on behind the scenes, one day I was in there and one of the guys was so frustrated he threw a bike frame across the store. I believe I've been the customer they want to have and have given them several chances to be my lbs, wanting a nice bike, making upgrades, buying replacement parts and tires, coming in for service, etc..??? Am I off base here? I was so frustrated I rode away talking to myself saying "They're not getting my money" and now I'm in search of another local shop that's a Reynolds dealer to try some wheels out.
Old 04-04-15, 06:33 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
"...I picked up a bottle of sealant and went over to the service counter and asked if they had the valve core removal tool so I could inject the sealant after I buy it and all three guys said they didn't have one but they could order me one to buy. ..."

Did you want to borrow the tool to use right then, or buy the tool ?? Maybe they didn't have any for sale.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-04-15, 06:44 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Sounds like they certainly could have been more helpful, so I don't think you're wrong to feel frustrated.

[drift]So have you ridden some carbon Reynolds with tubeless? How'd you like them?[/drift]
Old 04-04-15, 06:53 AM
dvdslw

I really felt like they were just blowing me off and I walked in the door to try and spend money (again) potentially buying a new set of wheels after the demo ride?
Old 04-04-15, 07:13 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
One thing I learned to do is stop assuming others share my understanding. We often provide little information with our words and our thoughts fill up the rest. Others don't have all that information.

So why not ask? You can say "can I borrow your tool" or "can you help me here?"

Instead you are upset with them and they probably don't have a clue
Old 04-04-15, 07:19 AM
bt
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
give them another chance
Old 04-04-15, 07:51 AM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd write a friendly letter & make sure it got to the top. After that, you'll know where you stand as a customer. Hopefully they recognize good customers for what they are.
Old 04-04-15, 08:01 AM
juanebici

Bikes: 2011 Jamis Quest, 2014 Jamis Xenith Race, 2012 Jamis Supernova

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
One thing I learned to do is stop assuming others share my understanding. We often provide little information with our words and our thoughts fill up the rest. Others don't have all that information.

+ 1 I would give them a second chance...
Old 04-04-15, 08:17 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
they're out of chances.
Old 04-04-15, 08:31 AM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It appears that you wanted them to loan you some tools. It's been my experience that mechanics do not loan tools.
Old 04-04-15, 08:33 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not to be a jerk but it's a $9 part. If I were a bike shop I wouldn't let you walk out with tools either. If you can afford Reynolds and tubeless tires, you can afford a $9 tool you'll use for the rest of your cycling life. Lighten up. Here's a link so you don't have to support your lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Zipp-Tangente-...N%3DB0063HIM86
Old 04-04-15, 08:42 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Indeed.

Well said.
Old 04-04-15, 08:59 AM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Not to be a jerk but it's a $9 part. If I were a bike shop I wouldn't let you walk out with tools either. If you can afford Reynolds and tubeless tires, you can afford a $9 tool you'll use for the rest of your cycling life. Lighten up.]
I had several at the house so maybe i should have just brought one. It's not a money thing, its the fact that I'm in there all the time we're on afirst name basis and I just needed a little help. I'm an auto mechanic so i can certainly relate to not lending out tools but to let someone air up a tire or use a valve stem tool to tighten a stem is no problem. Ask to use tools outside of the shop or something like a torque wrench thats a different story.
Old 04-04-15, 09:01 AM
dvdslw

Well said, and maybe my intentions just didn't come across right, who knows. At the end of the day I like the whole bunch and wish them the best so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and vist them on Sunday.
Old 04-04-15, 09:08 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, would have been nice if they would have had the valve tool to go along with all of the various tubeless items but for whatever reason they didn't. You're sore because the didn't offer to loan you a pair of needle nose pliers? You were really going to do the job right there? I doubt they thought so and would have assumed that you had your own pliers at home (every man should). I certainly don't think they would want a size 60-61 cm bike taking up space in their store in the event you didn't buy it, as shops don't get many requests for bikes in that size. Perhaps they could have been more explanatory but I really don't see any reason to sever ties with this shop over these two issues.
Old 04-04-15, 09:39 AM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Man, I love my lbs. Rode in the other day to pick up a seat post I had on order. I had forgotten my wallet. The owner gave me the part and said I could pay for it next time I was in.

Then - when I went out to my bike and started digging in my pannier for the tools to put the seat post on, the owner followed me out the door offering to loan me the wrench to do the job, and I pulled the seat post and followed him back into the store and swapped the parts at the counter.

I was back in that afternoon to pay.

The next time I was in, one of the employees approached me with the "can I help you" questions and I just explained that I was window shopping with a half hour to kill before picking up kid at daycare. "Cool" sez he, "want a coffe?", and I get handed a Keurig made coffee in a glass cup to sip while I browse.

I have never had a bad experience at any of my LBSs, but these guys are rising to the top, and I am the customer who has never bought anything big from them, and buy something out of the bargain bin half the time I buy anything.

To the OP - it is good to remember also that a bad experience may be in response to a misunderstanding - such as the mechanics assuming you wanted to buy a tool (out of stock) and you thinking you were asking to borrow a tool. You may also be walking into a situation where a mechanic has just had his Shimano Bottom Bracket tool stolen, messing up his next 15 service jobs. You may also be walking into an unhappy labour environment (bike frames being thrown accross the shop may indicate such, eh?) - I simply do not have enough information to advise you on whether or not it is time to drop the shop - but if they make you feel unwelcome and uncomfortable, or if they are truly lying to you, it may be time to move on if you have other local options.

Another thing ... it is useful in some cases to lower your expectations. If you feel you deserve good service and a warm welcome you will feel offended anytime your expectation is not met. If you expect nothing but the bare minimum of service and abrupt, uniformative answers to questions, you will be delighted any time your expectations are exceeded. Our expectations go a long way to shaping our experience. I know I am generally happier when my expectations are lowered.

Last edited by auldgeunquers; 04-04-15 at 09:40 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 04-04-15, 09:47 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Giving up on my lbs?

Not to hijack the thread, but on the subject of "Giving up on my LBS"... I have given up with mine. There's no real reason to go into the details but I've tried and I've tried to support them and I've consistently found their level of concern, pricing and maturity to be on a level I would rather avoid.
Old 04-04-15, 09:49 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I don't really rely on my LBS I know more than the mechanics they hire, they do not keep things in stock, but are glad to order if for you. I can order it so it is too late by then and frankly they assume you do not know much. The other extreme is the LBS that has all the racing teams and serious cyclist and look down on the regular fellow who just likes to ride. I have never understood the situation that somehow I must allow the LBS to thrive and profit at the expense of me. It is simply a LBS and a business, businesses come and go and so do LBS. If the LBS wants my business they need to know that price still rules. They must be able to compete with the internet and provide a service.

I repair guitars and I do not care where you bought the guitar if you want to pay me for the service then I will repair the guitar. Everyone is treated the same I charge based on the work and the job. The idea of loyalty can only go so far. I have seen guitarist change endorsements monthly. Same in the cycling, one fellow rides with a team then goes to another, a person goes to a LBS then finds a different one.
Old 04-04-15, 09:59 AM
grampa.sjb

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, Surly Disc Trucker, Santa Cruz Blur

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the day when I worked in a bike shop, I would have asked if you wanted to buy the tool or borrow it. If we didn't have the tool for sale, I would offer to get one in (and I'd put it on our "To Order" sheet either way). If you wanted to borrow it and were a regular customer, I would apologize cuz we don't lend out tools, but bring the wheel in, and we can remove the core while you wait; you can but the slime in, and we'll tighten the core back on, no charge.

That said, I've recently decided to no longer patronize my closest LBS. Most of the guys are friendly and helpful, but the owner is very opinionated and loves to argue about what I should buy. It just got too tedious to spend 20 minutes every visit trying to justify why I want a new set of Conti GPs when he thought I should get Gator Skins!
Old 04-04-15, 10:09 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lucky for me i have three LBS near my house with in 1 mile. So i use different ones for different things. I do my own wrenching beside bottom brackets and headsets.
Old 04-04-15, 10:23 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Only takes one mistake, uncorrected, to lose a customer.

Considering the frame incident - that was strike two.

Bye, bye!
Old 04-04-15, 10:50 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
I had several at the house so maybe i should have just brought one. It's not a money thing, its the fact that I'm in there all the time we're on afirst name basis and I just needed a little help. I'm an auto mechanic so i can certainly relate to not lending out tools but to let someone air up a tire or use a valve stem tool to tighten a stem is no problem. Ask to use tools outside of the shop or something like a torque wrench thats a different story.
yeah, Ok, well now that the situation is clearer to me, I guess that is a pretty jerk move. Maybe there was a miscommunication or a misunderstanding? Sounds like it probably isn't a bad idea to find a new shop.
Old 04-04-15, 11:05 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Screw the idea of "supporting your LBS"! They either earn your business by being competitive, and offering good service....or we go elsewhere (Personally, I just buy everything online, and do all my own wrenching). The idea of supporting an LBS is BS. Good ones don't need to be supported...they earn your business. Although in the case described in the OP, I do believe there may have been a misunderstanding in communication. But quite frankly, if they said "We can otrder it", I'd just say "So can I"(and probably get it a lot cheaper).
Old 04-04-15, 11:10 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grampa.sjb

That said, I've recently decided to no longer patronize my closest LBS. Most of the guys are friendly and helpful, but the owner is very opinionated and loves to argue about what I should buy. It just got too tedious to spend 20 minutes every visit trying to justify why I want a new set of Conti GPs when he thought I should get Gator Skins!
That is hilarious! I'll tell you....bike shop owners are a strange bunch. They're rarely good businessmen; but I suspect a high percentage of 'em may be mental patients.....
Old 04-04-15, 11:25 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
That is hilarious! I'll tell you....bike shop owners are a strange bunch. They're rarely good businessmen; but I suspect a high percentage of 'em may be mental patients.....
As are most of us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.