Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 11:39 AM
Hammocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chincoteague island

I will be staying on the island. I want to bring a bike but what type? Is there biking on the shore or not allowed. Any paved trails? Or any good road biking areas? Tire recommendations
tia
Old 07-08-21, 03:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have been to Chincoteague numerous times. I live 65 miles or so north. It has been quite awhile, consequently I know it is a lot more built up, but I have not seen it. This time of year traffic is always heavy, and at prime times extremely heavy. I really cannot comment on biking there now, but years ago it was a good area. If you go inland from the island, there are a lot of rural areas with relatively light traffic. That I know of, no gravel and no real trail riding. Honestly, pretty much any decent bike will suffice. If I was going there tomorrow, I would take my Soma Smoothie 28mm tires, 32 would be the max for me. Of course, very flat, but a lot of wind. Try to contact a bike dealer or rental for info. I know VA. has a bike routes list for the state.

Here in Bethany Beach, DE, this summer has been one of the busiest I have seen, ever. Everywhere is hurting for help. Traffic, parking issues and waiting lines pretty much all day. It's summertime! I am sure you will enjoy it. Ocean sunrises and bayside sunsets, the famous ponies and seafood; Have fun, Be safe!

Last edited by delbiker1; 07-08-21 at 03:44 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-09-21, 05:15 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Here is a link that shows some nice bike routes, including near Chincoteague: https://www.bivy.com/adventures/us/m...94462122524672. Click on the Eastern Shore Ramble and it will load another page that has a couple more in that area.
Old 07-10-21, 08:07 PM
Hammocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanx!
Old 07-12-21, 05:10 PM
Hammocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update

I stayed on Chincoteague and rode around the town. Biked to Assateague and rode the trails there. Nice paved trails well signed. I went in the evening so fewer cycles, walkers and cars.

Most cars gave me 4’ and it was nice to ride on some of the busy streets. The Wildlife Road is closed to cars until 4pm. There’s a side trail for biker/hiker access to the shore. A bike stand and privy are there. Admission is free for cyclists and walkers to the park. Lots of people cycle there.
Old 07-14-21, 05:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
If you’re ever up that way, check out Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE. Nice place to explore by bike. Trails in and around the park.
Old 07-15-21, 04:07 PM
Hammocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cape Henlopen

Originally Posted by indyfabz
If you’re ever up that way, check out Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE. Nice place to explore by bike. Trails in and around the park.
We biked there 2 summers ago and loved it.
Old 07-15-21, 10:00 PM
AlbatrossWheeld

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Find out if mosquitos are out & come prepared. Been there 2 or 3 times and always brutal mosquitos around the ponies when I'm there. I do like the idea of rolling on smooth tires there on roads & paths, but if you'll be in sand then no. I didn't bike or see bikes on the beach so can't comment on that part.