Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the sheer boredom of cycling long times like an hour ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-27-21, 05:50 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts

When I rode for 25 mins. it seemed like forever. My fitness was ok, but I think I was randomly riding a small loop around the neighborhood had me wanting to go home at every turn.
To reach an hour, I'll need to find a longer single loop that will not give me the option of bailing out. Kind of like running laps.
Old 08-27-21, 06:03 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
When I rode for 25 mins. it seemed like forever. My fitness was ok, but I think I was randomly riding a small loop around the neighborhood had me wanting to go home at every turn.
To reach an hour, I'll need to find a longer single loop that will not give me the option of bailing out. Kind of like running laps.
god, if you’re not enjoying it, don’t do it. For me, solo rides are “me time” - I ponder whatever comes to mind, I talk to myself, I chill, but most of all, I enjoy simply being on the bike. Group rides bring a different dimension. You know you’ve found your activity when, even when you’re trashed, you want to keep going. Cycling does that for me. Maybe not for you. Maybe look for something you like better.
however, the idea of doing repeated laps of a small loop would have me contemplating hanging up the bike - definitely try riding further afield - there’s lots to see out there

Last edited by Litespud; 08-27-21 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-27-21, 06:12 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Wait till you decide to ride 300km in one ride...

The only time I ride a loop repeatedly is in a criterium, and I don't do that any more. But, those rides were never boring. These days I just ride a lot, and a long ways, and the scenery is always changing and I get to see cool stuff. No time to be bored.
Old 08-27-21, 06:15 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
You might want to consider scaling back your rides to five minutes or so.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-27-21, 06:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
The real question is: How do we deal with the sheer boredom of reading CheGiantForLife 's endless threads?
Old 08-27-21, 06:37 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Cycling isn't for you, go and find a different hobby.
Old 08-27-21, 06:52 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I get it, route boredom is a very real thing. My morning rides take me on a 3 1/2 mile lap around town, and I do that three times. It can get a bit tedious, so I either just stay alone with my thoughts or I switch up the route a little. But going on long rides of, say, 20-50 miles or more, there's plenty of changing scenery to look at so boredom is less of a thing, even on routes I've ridden many times before. But for me, the sheer enjoyment of being out on the road on a bike is enough to keep me going.

Maybe you need to plan out a nice long 20 mile ride going from point A to point B and back, making a nice big loop and not taking the same route home. Find some hills to climb as a challenge. Find some interesting places to ride to. Find someone to ride with to talk to as you ride. If you still find yourself wanting to go home at every mile, then I agree with the above poster that maybe cycling just isn't for you. I don't want to chase anyone away from cycling, but if you're not enjoying it then it seems fruitless to keep doing it. So either find a way to enjoy it or stop.
Old 08-27-21, 07:00 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I once did 80 Laps around the block. 40 miles. Met many nice neighbors.

Completed 500 miles on this track.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 08-27-21, 07:12 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
If you ain't having fun, you are doing it wrong. For me, cycling isn't exercise that I need or have to do, it's exercise that I get to do. That's why I don't get caught up in Strava or recording my mileage or watts. I'm out on an adventure to see the world. I 'll stop to take pictures. smell the flowers, or go skinny dipping in the creek.
As suggested though, change your route. I'm lucky to live where I can ride 4 miles of pavement to a national forest where I could get lost for days on decent gravel roads if I wanted. There's lots of hills, and even waterfalls with pristine swimming holes.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 08-27-21, 07:18 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 413 Posts
… I'll need to find a longer single loop that will not give me the option of bailing out…
Do you live in an area that you can easily/safely get out of on the bike? I.e. able to get away from your neighborhood to ride on rodes that are conducive to cycling? You might try going to Google maps (or any other mapping app) and looking for suitable routes. Also check the satellite view. Sometimes I find trails, shortcuts, and open private roads that aren’t apparent on the map view.

Regarding the above pic at IMS. I’ve done 250 miles there, on foot, running the Indy Mini.

Dan
Old 08-27-21, 07:27 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
You've gotta go somewhere interesting, or give yourself an errand to run. Either plan a loop through an area with which you are unfamiliar or that has great scenery, or challenge yourself to get lunch at an interesting deli in the next town over. There is a great ice cream shop about 30km from my house; I lost count of the number of 60km rides I have done where I return home with a chocolate stain on my cycling jersey. Riding multiple laps of one loop near your home sounds like torture.
I used to live in a city where there were very few towns within easy riding distance - a couple of 'villages' with maybe one store, but nothing that was, in my opinion, worth a trip. I got really into mountain biking when I lived there, because riding on trails makes the ride more of a focus than the destination.

Furthermore, some long distance tourists I have known generally, after the first hour or so on any given day, don't ride more than 20 or 30 minutes at a stretch... riding 200km is just doing ten 20km rides.
Old 08-27-21, 07:30 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
god, if you’re not enjoying it, don’t do it. For me, solo rides are “me time” - I ponder whatever comes to mind, I talk to myself, I chill, but most of all, I enjoy simply being on the bike. Group rides bring a different dimension. You know you’ve found your activity when, even when you’re trashed, you want to keep going. Cycling does that for me. Maybe not for you. Maybe look for something you like better.
however, the idea of doing repeated laps of a small loop would have me contemplating hanging up the bike - definitely try riding further afield - there’s lots to see out there
right there with you. i love being out on my won for a while. love my family but just need some time to think at times.that is what is so depressing about this summer again. so much smoke from california fires it is driving me nuts. so glad i can ride indoors thogh but not remotely teh same.
Old 08-27-21, 07:31 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
...I'll need to find a longer single loop that will not give me the option of bailing out...
It sounds like you've already figured out the solution to your problem.
Old 08-27-21, 07:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Cycling isn't for you, go and find a different hobby.
He has one: Trolling BF.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-27-21, 07:43 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
"I hate what I am doing. Help me."

Stop doing it. Do something else.
Old 08-27-21, 07:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

I dont do things as a hobby that I find to be boring. I dont know why anyone would participate in a hobby that they dont enjoy.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-27-21, 07:50 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
An hour isn't a long time. It takes that long just to get warmed up.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 08-27-21, 07:54 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
......................Completed 500 miles on this track...........................
COOL !!

Ever ride on Sebring International Raceway? Talk about getting beaten up by the road.

https://www.sebringraceway.com/
Old 08-27-21, 07:54 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Easy laps are still more *fun* than riding stationary.
I do ride laps somedays and enjoy not having to worry as much about cars so can escape more to thoughts or bliss.
Consider other routes and your cycling enjoyment should increase.
Old 08-27-21, 08:02 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts

Just have to find the right roads.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5301297909
Old 08-27-21, 08:12 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
You should try a different cycling discipline. Don’t wear earbuds on the road or MUP as your solution. You should start a thread asking if that’s a good idea first.
Old 08-27-21, 08:33 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Don’t worry, riding will get a lot more interesting once you graduate from a Strider bike and you’re allowed to cross the street.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-27-21, 08:38 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Completed 500 miles on this track.
I did that event one year, but the course wasn’t well marked and I got lost. Next time I’ll remember to bring a cue sheet.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-27-21, 08:43 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I did that event one year, but the course wasn’t well marked and I got lost. Next time I’ll remember to bring a cue sheet.
I stayed on The Track.

Old 08-27-21, 08:52 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I can understand your boredom in a way. Its like when you try to get me on a stationary bike. It truly is not a good match.

But for my rides... Who's got time to be bored? My routes are a relatively short complex path that changes with my personal abilities and the road conditions. I can't really take my eyes off the road and surroundings for a second. Looks like you have to find an more interesting route...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.