Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

List of 2021 or later Road bike models with threaded bottom brackets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-21, 11:00 AM
Tbaynes

Bikes: Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace custom build, Co-Motion Speedster tandem (steel is real!), Salsa Spearfish XXO, Cannondale CAAD8 CX, KICKR Bike on Zwift

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I do not intend for this thread to be a discussion (or argument) about which style of BB is better, but simply a compilation of upcoming or currently offered road bikes with threaded bottom brackets.

I’m looking for ideas, so this is helpful to me in my search for a new bike, but hopefully this will be useful to others as well.

If there are any I’ve missed please add your response.

Allied Cycles

Conalgo C64, V3RS, V3

Fairlight Strael - BSA

Factor Ostro VAM - T47

Ibis Hakka MX - T47

Lynskey's lineup (R300, R500, Sportive, Helix models) are all BSA threaded

Pinarello - all - Italian (ITA)

Pursuit Cycles, made in Bozeman, MT uses titanium threaded inserts in their BB shells - T47

Ribble
Endurance SL - BSA
Ultra SL, SL R - BSA

Santa Cruz Stigmata - BSA

Specialized -
2021 Tarmac - BSA
2021 Roubaix - BSA
2021 Aethos - BSA

Trek
2020-21 Madone - T47
2021 Roubaix - T47
2021 Domane- T47
2021 Edmonda SL,SLR - T47

Last edited by Tbaynes; 04-04-22 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-29-21, 11:10 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
It is likely that most American made bikes will return to threaded bottom brackets because they are the only way of having good alignment and the ability to easily repair bearings. Press in bearings are almost a total failure as Trek has shown by returning from that junky BB90 to the T47.
Old 08-29-21, 11:26 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
It is likely that most American made bikes will return to threaded bottom brackets because they are the only way of having good alignment and the ability to easily repair bearings. Press in bearings are almost a total failure as Trek has shown by returning from that junky BB90 to the T47.
American branded bikes will return to it because their manufacturers abroad can't make the frames to required tolerance for the prices Specialized et al are willing to pay for their multi thousand dollar frames. Companies which actually manufacture bikes like Giant, Look, etc are sticking with pressfit and generally people don't have a problem with them.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 08-29-21, 11:46 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I assume OP is only looking for CF bikes?

I think much of the Allied Cycle bikes have threaded BBs

Last edited by Sy Reene; 08-29-21 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-29-21, 12:21 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
Trek Domane has them...at least my SLR does.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-29-21, 12:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
https://fairlightcycles.com/product/...v=79cba1185463

Fairlight Strael 3.0
Old 08-29-21, 07:52 PM
Tbaynes

Bikes: Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace custom build, Co-Motion Speedster tandem (steel is real!), Salsa Spearfish XXO, Cannondale CAAD8 CX, KICKR Bike on Zwift

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I assume OP is only looking for CF bikes?

I think much of the Allied Cycle bikes have threaded BBs
Yes I am - looking at CF racy/aero endurance bikes or aero race bikes that lean towards a slightly relaxed enduro ride quality. (I don’t race IRL but want one very efficient, crisp bike that can do it all - climbs, fast on group rides and won’t beat me to death on a 50- or 75-miler.

But I thought it would be good to collect ideas for others as well - I have not been able to find any resource which compiles a list of bikes with threaded BBS.

I added your suggestion to my original post - I will try to keep it updated as other suggestions come in.
Old 08-29-21, 07:54 PM
Tbaynes

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Trek Domane has them...at least my SLR does.
updated my post - thanks
Old 08-29-21, 08:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbaynes
Yes I am - looking at CF racy/aero endurance bikes or aero race bikes that lean towards a slightly relaxed enduro ride quality.
That should about cover it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-29-21, 10:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Yes I am - looking at CF racy/aero endurance bikes or aero race bikes that lean towards a slightly relaxed enduro ride quality. (I don’t race IRL but want one very efficient, crisp bike that can do it all - climbs, fast on group rides and won’t beat me to death on a 50- or 75-miler.

But I thought it would be good to collect ideas for others as well - I have not been able to find any resource which compiles a list of bikes with threaded BBS.

I added your suggestion to my original post - I will try to keep it updated as other suggestions come in.
The Fairlight Strael I suggested is an 853 steel main triangle frame with carbon fork.
So that won't work for the extensive list you provided. It does come in Regular and Tall options for each frame size, which will allow you to choose if you want 'race' or 'endurance' geometry, and it can handle up to a 36mm tire for comfort while still having quick feeling frame angles.

But it isnt a carbon frame.
Old 08-30-21, 02:24 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The industry seems to be going back to it. However, I have a bike with a PF30 shell and a Praxis conversion BB for Shimano cranks. I actually like that better because you will never have to worry about stripping BB threads which I did once a long time ago.
Old 08-30-21, 05:09 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
You can add Emonda SL, SLR to round out the Trek list.
Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 08-30-21, 05:11 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

I would also add must be laterally stiff and vertically compliant to your list of parameters
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-30-21, 06:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

Ribble Endurance SL has BSA
for an aero framed bike, Ribble's Ultra SL and SLR bikes also have BSA, but I don't think I'd say they likely have a relaxed enduro ride quality.
Old 08-30-21, 07:03 AM
Tbaynes

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The new Ribble Ultra looks pretty interesting. I’m looking forward to seeing some reviews and ride reports. We don’t see many (well, any that I recall) around where I am in Midwest US. And I’m not sure what Ribble have done to adddress comfort. But I like that I can customize it, and the SL R has a good component list for the money.

The big issue with spending big money on a bike right now and a lack of access to test ride. That could force me to a locally available big brand (Trek) just to mitigate risk. I would drive to a large city like Chicago or to an event, if I could find one that has a bunch of bikes to try.

My local dealer has a leftover 2019 Madone in my size, Ultegra build. Rim brakes, which is why I think it’s still there. I took it for a ride and the Madone, at least, seems comfortable enough but I also did not do a 50-miler on it.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Ribble Endurance SL has BSA
for an aero framed bike, Ribble's Ultra SL and SLR bikes also have BSA, but I don't think I'd say they likely have a relaxed enduro ride quality.
Old 08-30-21, 07:28 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
If you are actually shopping for a new bike, availability will be your first consideration. Features will help you narrow down your few choices. In other words, if shopping vs nattering, compiling a theoretical list doesn't seem productive.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-30-21, 09:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
The BB type will be low on my list for picking a bike. Though I'd prefer threaded, there are a lot of other stuff that to me is more important for selecting a bike for me.

And your list will always be in a constant state of flux. In 2020 there were models of the Tarmac that were pressfit and some were threaded.

The administrative time to keep your list current and accurate will be a nightmare.

Wouldn't it just be easier to look at the manufacturer specs or the bike itself if you are looking at it in person?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-31-21, 04:22 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Pursuit Cycles, made in Bozeman, MT uses titanium threaded inserts in their BB shells:

Pursuit Cycles ≫ Details and Geometry - Pure Road - Pursuit Cycles
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-01-21, 09:12 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Lynskey's lineup (R300, R500, Sportive, Helix models) are all BSA threaded, I believe.
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 10-29-21, 07:16 PM
rsrsatx

Bikes: 2013 Colnago CLX 3.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do not intend for this thread to be a discussion (or argument) about which style of BB is better, but simply a compilation of upcoming or currently offered road bikes with threaded bottom brackets.

I’m looking for ideas, so this is helpful to me in my search for a new bike, but hopefully this will be useful to others as well.

If there are any I’ve missed please add your response.

Allied Cycles

Fairlight Strael - BSA

Pinarello - all - Italian (ITA)

Ribble
Endurance SL - BSA
Ultra SL, SL R - BSA

Specialized -
2021 Tarmac - BSA
2021 Roubaix - BSA
2021 Aethos - BSA

Trek
2020-21 Madone - T47
2021 Roubaix - T47
2021 Domane- T47
2021 Edmonda SL,SLR - T47
Factor Ostro VAM

Conalgo C64, V3RS, V3
Likes For rsrsatx:
Old 03-29-22, 05:37 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Ibis hakka mx T47
https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/hakka-mx

sanata cruz stigmata bsa
https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/stigmata
Old 04-03-22, 07:02 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you are actually shopping for a new bike, availability will be your first consideration. Features will help you narrow down your few choices. In other words, if shopping vs nattering, compiling a theoretical list doesn't seem productive.
You hit the nail on the head (at least in my case). I too am looking for a carbon endurance bike with a threaded BB and finding someone who actually has my size, color and the groupset I want is like herding cats. I have fallen in love with several models only to find that it's either not available, the wrong size, the wrong color or I'm going to have to wait until October for it to ship.

It's been very frustrating. I finally have the money but cannot find a bike. The thing is... I'm pretty flexible, but when I find something I like and start calling around to see who might have it in stock I run into the same story.
Old 04-03-22, 02:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier just to look at the bikes that appeal to you and then eliminate the ones that don't quite fit the bill. Certainly threaded BB's aren't the only disqualifier for you. What about stack height, tire width that will fit it or color?
Old 04-03-22, 03:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
I do not intend for this thread to be a discussion (or argument) about which style of BB is better ...
The thread didn't even make it to the second post. Ugh.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-04-22, 12:16 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Lynskey
Likes For Camilo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.