Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

adjustable stems and carbon

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 09:05 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

A biking buddy of mine is having back and neck issues when riding more than about 40 miles. She would like to be able to raise her handlebars. Unfortunately, she has a carbon fork and steerer, so a stem extender is out. Is it safe to use one of these adjustable stems that adjust from the top rather than side? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7ACO5T769&th=1

Last edited by goldfinch; 01-31-22 at 09:07 AM. Reason: add image
Old 01-31-22, 09:19 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
My preference would be a an adjustable stem that clamps to the steerer in the conventional way for a threadless stem.

Here is one choice: https://www.nashbar.com/ritchey-4axi...317009/p848194
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-31-22, 10:06 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Given the same bar location (height) I would think the stress the stem placed on the steerer would be pretty much the same regardless of a, locked tight, hinge in the stem's middle or not. The imaged stem still has a pinch bolt type of clamp, just like the steerer risers I have installed.

Did she buy the bike from a LBS? Has she approached them or the bike brand for any limitations the carbon steerer has? Has she sought out a fitter who has experience with aging riders (and more to the point those riders who are not racer heads) There's a lot more to a well fitted and good handling bike then bar height. and I wonder if she has the wrong bike for her current needs. Andy (so many possibilities but so little data).
Old 01-31-22, 03:13 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
A biking buddy of mine is having back and neck issues when riding more than about 40 miles. She would like to be able to raise her handlebars. Unfortunately, she has a carbon fork and steerer, so a stem extender is out. Is it safe to use one of these adjustable stems that adjust from the top rather than side? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7ACO5T769&th=1
I dont see why a carbon steering tube should be any different from an alloy one in terms of stem compatibility.

People really do think carbon is fragile like glass? A steering tube is made to withstand 5Nm of clamping force, and take the abuse of having up to a 120mm or even 140mm long stem + handlebar + rider weight + rattle over potholes or cobbles. I doubt the position of the hinge on the stem makes any sort of difference.

My question with the above pictured stem would just be: how to you tighten the headset cap, there doesnt seem to be one?
Likes For maartendc:
Old 01-31-22, 05:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Some hinged stems (that are threadless) have a preload bolt at top of the portion that goes over the steerer. Once the headset preload is done the stem extension angle is set.

Many carbon steerered fork manufactures have published (often a s a warning sticker on the fork) a stem max height above the upper stack of the headset (or how much spacer below the stem can be installed). I have taken this limit as an example of how carbon steerers are not the same strength as metal ones (as I have yet to know of similar limits being placed on Al or steel steerers).

IIRC carbon fiber is very strong in tension but far less so when stressed across the fiber. When a force is placed across the fiber it's the resin strength that counts. Compressive forces that a clamped stem places on the steerer can and do deform carbon steerers. It's not uncommon to see this on service jobs. Add vastly increased leverage from a way higher bar location (then the designed intended) and the "working" strength of a steerer might not leave much safety factor. Andy
Old 01-31-22, 08:03 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Seems safer to use a steeper stem. For example: Dimension Threadless Road Stem: 90mm; 125 Degree; Black; 1-1/8"; 31.8 - Modern Bike.

Sorry, please ignore! As veganbikes pointed out:

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Dimension has made it quite clear: Dimension stems are not intended for use with carbon handlebars or carbon steerer tubes ...
https://www.dimensionbikeproducts.co...00102_INST.pdf

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 02-01-22 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Retraction
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-31-22, 09:04 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
She is already using a very steep stem. I am thinking of going with the steep stem and then adding "riser" drop bars, like the Surly Truck Stop. I am squeamish about the carbon steerer and the adjustable stems that are top hinged.
Old 01-31-22, 09:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Dimension has made it quite clear: Dimension stems are not intended for use with carbon handlebars or carbon steerer tubes (it is listed in your link where you say it seems safer)
https://www.dimensionbikeproducts.co...00102_INST.pdf

I would check with the manufacturer of the fork and see what they recommend if you plan on just going the roll the dice fitting route. Otherwise I would go the bike fitter route which is a better route and will lead to a more comfortable experience over all on the bike. Listen to Andrew R Stewart on this one he made some really excellent points. Though again I would check with the manufacturer if you intend on using other higher rise stems.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-01-22, 08:22 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Based on the fact that stem extenders are not suitable for carbon steerers and that top loaded adjustable stems are at best iffy, she ordered the riser handlebar instead. We will see it is enough to make a difference. She has extremely long legs compared to torso so getting a good bike fit is hard for her.
Old 02-03-22, 09:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Getting a bike fit is easy. Getting a bike that fits might be a bit tougher but the bike fit will really help.
Old 02-18-22, 06:50 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Success. The riser handlebar made a big difference. Tested over several long rides so it looks like we solved her problems with fit.